Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 34 Likes Search this Thread
01-22-2013, 01:57 PM   #136
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
New set

UnSaid Fate, Kevlar - 1-20-2013 - Sherlocks - Erie,PA - Marty Drabic Photography

Taken with the K-5 IIs and a mix between the Pentax-F 50mm and Pentax-F 28mm. The lights were tungsten...oh how i love these at high iso's. I have more to post but had to show off what i have so far. This camera will focus dead nuts in extremely low light.

Let me know what you think.

01-22-2013, 02:17 PM   #137

Photos: Albums
Wow! Great shots, Marty. The K-5IIs is very tempting. I don't know if I should get one or wait a little longer just in case Pentax releases a full frame body. But then there's the whole lens thing...
01-23-2013, 06:52 AM   #138
Forum Member

Thanks!

I'm not one of the ones waiting for full frame. The 16 mp CMOS sensor is more than enough for what i do and 100% crops and easily done so why do i need more than that to hog up more hard drive space. I do shoot landscapes and astrophotography too which that extra would come in handy for but man...i fill up a 16 gig card a week...hard drives....more hard drives!
01-26-2013, 04:23 PM   #139

Hi everyone! Just a few more pictures I shot with the K-5 yesterday. This time, a tribute to KISS from the band KISSed Tribute (from Montreal). All shot with the 50-135mm. This lens is getting better every time I use it. Photo editing was done in Lightroom 3 as usual (I use an old version of Photoshop 7 just for the watermark).

The complete set with high res photos is here.
Kissed - a set on Flickr
or see my Blog

Last edited by Into The Lens; 01-27-2013 at 12:17 AM.
01-27-2013, 12:35 PM   #140
Veteran Member

WowoW

Kissed shots are awesome

Any of you guys using the Tamron 70-200 | 2.8 ?
I've seen some good price (600€) and for concert and events shooting it's seems pretty good, any opinions ?

DimC
01-28-2013, 12:45 AM - 3 Likes   #141
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My shots from Adelaide's Big Day Out are now uploaded HERE
In twelve hours I covered 26 gigs and the general ambience. I took just under 4000 shots in total, or an average of one every ten seconds or so :-)

Bodies used: K-5 IIs, K-5 and K-01.
Lenses used: DA*50-135 and Sigma EX 70-200, DA*16-50, DA10-17 and FA31.

Some of the indoor venues were *very* poorly lit, as you can probably tell. The K-5 IIs definitely performed better in these circumstances, but even the K-01 coped.
01-28-2013, 10:11 AM   #142
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Awesome work, Sandy. Can't believe Flea kept his clothes on !

Jack

01-28-2013, 10:59 AM   #143

Wow!!! Awesome work Sandy!! That must've been quite a day. Which lens would you say got the most usage on that day?
01-28-2013, 02:28 PM   #144
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Into The Lens Quote
Which lens would you say got the most usage on that day?
The DA*50-135 (on the K-5 IIs) was used most, then the DA*16-50 (on the K-5) followed by the Sigma. The fisheye lived on the K-01 most of the time, and was mainly used for crowd shots, occasionally switching for the FA31. The 50-135 is a newish lens for me (the Sigma has been my workhorse for some time), and I was really impressed with its size, handling and image quality. The slower autofocus was never really an issue, and it was every bit as precise as the Sigma.

I took my DA15, FA43, DA*55 and FA77 (and a spare 16-50) in case something broke, but they were not required. I used flash to fill in some of the crowd shots, but it was strictly verboten for the musicians.

Flea may have taken more clothes off later; we are only allowed to shoot the first three songs of each set
01-28-2013, 02:48 PM   #145
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
The DA*50-135 (on the K-5 IIs) was used most, then the DA*16-50 (on the K-5) followed by the Sigma. The fisheye lived on the K-01 most of the time, and was mainly used for crowd shots, occasionally switching for the FA31. The 50-135 is a newish lens for me (the Sigma has been my workhorse for some time), and I was really impressed with its size, handling and image quality. The slower autofocus was never really an issue, and it was every bit as precise as the Sigma.

I took my DA15, FA43, DA*55 and FA77 (and a spare 16-50) in case something broke, but they were not required. I used flash to fill in some of the crowd shots, but it was strictly verboten for the musicians.

Flea may have taken more clothes off later; we are only allowed to shoot the first three songs of each set
Some very nice shots there Sandy !

Congrats on this event, you must had been exhausted

DimC
01-28-2013, 03:51 PM   #146
Veteran Member

Different question - What do you guys do with photos on your computer once they have been edited? Do you move the whole lot to an external drive or do you just back up to a external drive? I have 300 gb of concert photos on my laptop and that's mirrored to my external drive as back up. I've got a 500 gb hard drive in my laptop and it's filling up. I've thought about moving them off of my laptop to another external drive.

Thanks

John
01-28-2013, 05:33 PM   #147
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I am in a similar position: also running off a laptop with a 500Gb hard drive. I had to delete some old folders of photos to make room for my BDO workflow. They are backed up on an external drive so I should be able to retrieve them.
At the moment I'm pretty brutal. Once I have pared the shots down to a publishable gallery and processed the RAW files to my liking, I convert them to JPEG and export them into iPhoto. I then trash all the RAW files.
This will change soon as I plan to get a new desktop with 27" screen and 3Tb hard drive. That should keep me going for a while.
01-29-2013, 01:07 AM   #148

John: I have two external drives (a 500Mb and a 1.2Tb) and two local drives, C/: and D/:. I try not to keep my photos on my local C/: drive as the more it fills up the slower the computer tends to operate. The second local drive (D/: is where I keep my photos as I edit them. I usually copy my RAW files to a RAW folder on my D/: drive and a copy to the 500Mb drive (only the RAW) as soon as I start editing a new set of photos. When I'm done editing my photo set, I usually back up all my JPEGs to my 500Mb drive and I mirror everything (RAW folders + JPEGs) to my 1.2Tb drive. I rarely back up on DVD.

Sandy: Thanks for your reply. The DA* 50-135 is my favorite lens. I find it operates so well. Now I have to get myself a new K-5 IIs.
02-02-2013, 12:56 AM   #149
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
The Coopers Amp Award presentations concert at Federation Square.

Clare Bowditch presenting.

Urthboy

Hermitude

02-02-2013, 01:19 AM   #150
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbob Productions Quote
Hermitude
I'm shooting Hermitude in Adelaide tonight! How was their show?

I had a tough time with Sarah Blasko @ Festival Theatre last night: bright spotlight, black dress, symphony orchestra in the shadowy background. And we had to shoot from the back of the stalls about 50m away. Others with expensive full frames came home almost empty handed; sometimes the reach of APS-C is a bonus.

Gallery up on Tone Deaf soon, but here's a teaser.....
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo