Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2012, 01:13 PM   #61
Veteran Member

Stops are stops, when you say 1 or 2 stops then those are full stops not 1/3th of a stop.

You can set the camera to use 1/2 ev steps as well btw.

12-05-2012, 02:05 PM   #62

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Stops are stops, when you say 1 or 2 stops then those are full stops not 1/3th of a stop.

You can set the camera to use 1/2 ev steps as well btw.
Okay, thanks for clarifying this for me. I'm still rather new to digital photography and there are still a ton of things I need to grasp. The K-5 is the most technologically piece of gear I have. I'm a rather old fashion guy and not a fancy schmancy techno wiz type of person at all.
12-05-2012, 06:09 PM   #63
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Into The Lens Quote
BTW, in my previous post, I meant in Live View, not view finder. (sorry for the confusion)

So, technically speaking, do you spot meter on faces, check a few shots in live view to see what they look like, then bring down the EV Compensation to -1 or -2? Is that how you'd do it?

Just one thing I need to understand here is, when people say underexpose 1 to 2 stops (negative EV compensation), does this mean bringing down the EV to -1 or -2 or 1/3 = 1 stop. I don't use the EV compensation since like I said I usually look at a few shots on the live view screen to see how they turn out to help me set things up. So if I'd compensate to -2 EV and meter to the center of the meter and take a shot, I guess it would show underexposed in Live View, right? Since I would rely on the Live View screen to "meter" my shots it wouldn't be possible to "negative EV compensate" in my case! I'll try this approach next time I shoot. I can see how I could shoot at higher speeds using this trick now. Very interesting.

Oh and BTW, great shots indeed Mike. And thanks for your help too.
Lets see if I can address a few of those...
Yes, spot meter on faces, instruments, or whatever your primary subject is. You don't want to blow your important highlights. There will be stage lights that blow out, but that is ok. I use 1/3 stop increments, so to underexpose by 1 stop, I click my shutter three clicks to the right (I'm a manual M mode shooter) if that makes sense. I never think in terms of actual stops, however, just saying that for your example. If I am using the green button to meter, I may set EV comp down several clicks so that I am consistently under exposing by the same amount, especially if I am shooting in really dark conditions where I can barely get a 1/90th(for example)shutter,etc... For concert shooting, I turn on the highlight and shadow blinkies so I can instantly see the problem areas on review, adjust, and then just start shooting. I don't look at the screen much after that but I do pay attention to the overall scene and if it gets lighter or darker, I may adjust my shutter (or ISO) accordingly. I recommend TAv mode for low light concerts which gives you a variable ISO at your fixed minimum shutter...that mode is absolutely ideal for concerts.
When I say that I expose to the left (for low light concerts), I am talking about the histogram...I forgot to mention, you would set histograms to on so you can see the overall distribution of light in your image. I underexposed so that the majority of the curve is left of the center line. Make sense? Just FYI, for shooting in normal light, especially when there aren't harsh light sources, a well accepted rule of thumb is to expose to the right....this is a different technique with a different purpose.
12-05-2012, 11:03 PM   #64

QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
Lets see if I can address a few of those...
Yes, spot meter on faces, instruments, or whatever your primary subject is. You don't want to blow your important highlights. There will be stage lights that blow out, but that is ok. I use 1/3 stop increments, so to underexpose by 1 stop, I click my shutter three clicks to the right (I'm a manual M mode shooter) if that makes sense. I never think in terms of actual stops, however, just saying that for your example. If I am using the green button to meter, I may set EV comp down several clicks so that I am consistently under exposing by the same amount, especially if I am shooting in really dark conditions where I can barely get a 1/90th(for example)shutter,etc... For concert shooting, I turn on the highlight and shadow blinkies so I can instantly see the problem areas on review, adjust, and then just start shooting. I don't look at the screen much after that but I do pay attention to the overall scene and if it gets lighter or darker, I may adjust my shutter (or ISO) accordingly. I recommend TAv mode for low light concerts which gives you a variable ISO at your fixed minimum shutter...that mode is absolutely ideal for concerts.
When I say that I expose to the left (for low light concerts), I am talking about the histogram...I forgot to mention, you would set histograms to on so you can see the overall distribution of light in your image. I underexposed so that the majority of the curve is left of the center line. Make sense? Just FYI, for shooting in normal light, especially when there aren't harsh light sources, a well accepted rule of thumb is to expose to the right....this is a different technique with a different purpose.
Thank you Mike. It all makes perfect sense.

12-06-2012, 05:20 AM   #65
Site Supporter

Apologies if this is a stupid question, but I'll ask it anyway.

When you set the camera to under expose (let's say underexpose by one stop), what parameters does it alter to do so? If you're in TAv mode with shutter speed set to 1/60 and aperture set to f2.8, does the camera work out the ISO for correct exposure and then halve it to give you the -1 exposure? Or does it work out the ISO for correct exposure and then double the shutter speed regardless of what you set it to? I assume it's the former rather than the latter but I'm curious.
12-06-2012, 05:34 AM   #66
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have used my K-5's for thousands of concert shots over the last 11 months. Go to tonedeaf.com.au and look for gigs shot in South Australia over that period under my name. In the last two (Gorgeous Festival and The Dandy Warhols/Silversun Pickups) all the telephoto shots were with the K-5 IIs.
Lenses used:
DA10-17
DA15
DA*16-50
FA31
DA*55
FA77
Sigma EXII 70-200
DA*300
12-06-2012, 05:38 AM   #67
Site Supporter

P.S. Like MikeSF, I underexpose by a full stop most of the time. It is easy to bring out shadows, but blown highlights are lost forever. I usually spot meter and centre point autofocus, then recompose, and use Tav most of the time.
12-06-2012, 10:24 AM   #68
Pentaxian

Sandy do you have a link to your photos? The tonedeaf.com.au goes to the general site.

BTW, I spot meter, spot focus, and underexpose too for the same reasons. Many musicians wear dark clothing so their faces could blow out if you metered for the closes.

Never mind, found some of them
http://www.tonedeaf.com.au/photos/galleries/231702/gorgeous-festival.htm#1

Last edited by john5100; 12-06-2012 at 10:30 AM.
12-06-2012, 01:24 PM   #69

Do you guys use the Highlight Correction and Shadow Correction or do you leave them turned off when shooting concerts? And if so, do you set the Shadow Correction on Low/Med/High? What about Expanded Sensitivity (Menu C-1.3) - On or OFF? Does that affect IQ if ES is set to ON for low light shootings with high contrasts like at concerts? Does it create more noise in shadow areas? I never understood why this option even exists... I mean why not always make the ISO available from 80 to 51200?
12-06-2012, 02:23 PM   #70
Site Supporter

Gorgeous Festival
The Dandy Warhols
Lisa Mitchell
Mumford and Sons
Kate Miller-Heidke
Matt Corby
The Jezabels
12-06-2012, 04:09 PM   #71
Pentaxian

I leave shadow and highlight correction off. I shoot a KX and it slows down my camera. Not sure about the K5 but the K30 sounds a little faster.

Very nice work Sandy
12-07-2012, 05:46 PM   #72
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
I leave shadow and highlight correction off. I shoot a KX and it slows down my camera. Not sure about the K5 but the K30 sounds a little faster.

Very nice work Sandy
Also slow them down and if you shoot in RAW there basically is no gain.
12-07-2012, 08:38 PM   #73
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Into The Lens Quote
Do you guys use the Highlight Correction and Shadow Correction or do you leave them turned off when shooting concerts? And if so, do you set the Shadow Correction on Low/Med/High? What about Expanded Sensitivity (Menu C-1.3) - On or OFF? Does that affect IQ if ES is set to ON for low light shootings with high contrasts like at concerts? Does it create more noise in shadow areas? I never understood why this option even exists... I mean why not always make the ISO available from 80 to 51200?
I don't use any of those things
12-12-2012, 07:26 AM   #74
Forum Member

K-5 IIs concert

Well i have shot alot of shows with my trusty K-x and have just upgraded to the K-5 IIs and wow do i love it.
Usable ISO range is much higher...i can go up to 3200 and it still be a good looking shot. In fact i took a few around the dark bar at 512000 and was absolutely amazed how detailed they still are at that range. The ones i shot at 400 i could process the living hell out of and still maintain acceptable noise. People keep talking about fat pixels...yes i can see that.
The auto focus is awesome....its now not really a matter of taking the ones in focus..i can be picky now. And oh the rapid fire. Can pop off like 7 in a row now. Awesome.
This show was shot with a mix of the Pentax-F 50mm f/1.7 and the Pentax-F 28mm f/2.8. Both locked on focus extremely quick and did well in little or no light. In fact i had 5 shots that looked black but post processed to an image worth posting (#55). Absolutely loving this camera.
Oh and i have seen absolutely no Moire with this camera so far.
Most in this gallery have had little post processing to serve as a test and a good practice session.

Preach Freedom Band wsg BioDiesel - Crooked i - 12-8-2012 - Marty Drabic Photography
12-12-2012, 08:48 AM   #75
Pentaxian

Marty, that's great news. Please keep the review coming.

Here's one that I did on Friday of Trixie Whitley. It was really dark and bathed in red. I was at iso 5000 on my kx.
http://backbeatseattle.com/2012/12/11/photos-and-review-trixie-whitley-at-barboza/

Last edited by john5100; 12-12-2012 at 08:55 AM.