Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-02-2012, 02:02 PM   #16

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Very nice pictures in this thread.

I started out taking concert pictures with point and shoot cameras on auto, and feel like I've gotten good results.

I haven't haven't had a chance to take many pictures with a DSLR, but when I started shooting at auto, and then shutter speed, and now I've been playing around with full manual. I have been liking the results.

12-03-2012, 06:07 AM   #17

Meeeeee

Hiya,

I use the K5 exclusively for my gig photography, mostly with the Sigma EX DG 24-70 2.8 but occasionally with the old Pentax AF 100 F2.8 or AF 50 F1.4. Always fully manual indoors.

Some recent examples on my site...

Europe Live at the Leeds o2 Academy | Gig Reviews | CackBlabbath

Fields of the Nephilim live at Shepherds Bush Empire | Gig Reviews | CackBlabbath

And there are a load over at the CackBlabbath facebook page too (without trying to make this sound like an advert

The images straight out of it are a little soft, disappointingly so, even compared to "budget" competition like the Nikon D3100. I know a bit of sharpening solves that, but it's still not the best.

Autofocus works well enough in low light though and it's a great "first" DSLR to take into the pit...

Well, it'll do until I can afford a Nikon D700 :-)

Iain
12-03-2012, 06:39 AM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DizzyDalek Quote
The images straight out of it are a little soft, disappointingly so, even compared to "budget" competition like the Nikon D3100.
Hmmmmmmmmmm. Don't blame the hardware for that, but your technique, perhaps.

In your linked shots I see lots of missed focus due to your use of manual focus and narrow apertures, plus lots of simple motion blur in your shots - not surprising, when using 1/60 or 1/125 second for dynamic live performances, whilst standing in a mosh pit full of people bumping you around.

Some people around here get sharp shots shooting concerts using even the K200D with fully manual M lenses, so the K-5 isn't the issue here.
12-03-2012, 06:56 AM   #19

It's all autofocus, they're taken from the photo pit, and yep the light for those two gigs was pretty poor, but thanks for the feedback.

For gig work the K5 is just about the best of the DSLRs in that price range in low light, and I've used a few over the years. A bonus for outdoor gigs (especially in the UK) is the weather sealing :-) Like I said I love it, it'll take something special before I'll replace it.

The sharpness definitely isn't as good as some, but that's a fixable criticism when everything else works so well (AF Speed, high ISO performance etc).

12-03-2012, 07:28 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by DizzyDalek Quote
The sharpness definitely isn't as good as some,
Sorry to nag you, and you probably know all this, but once again, that's probably not the camera, which is just a sensor box at the end of the day. Sharpness is more about technique, especially when using MF, and/or the quality of the optics involved.

I'm not much good at concert photography, but IMHO you can indeed get adequately sharp results out of the K-5 shooting gigs, often at crazy ISO's too:

1/250 f/3.2 ISO 12800 83 mm

Vulgargrad - Lantern parade Carnivale Stage

1/250 f/2.8 ISO 8000 200 mm

At the mike - Bertie Page - Lantern Parade Carnivale Stage

1/160 f/3.5 ISO 5000 135 mm

Curls - Performer - KAMS 8 Sept 2012

Last edited by rawr; 12-03-2012 at 07:42 AM.
12-03-2012, 07:34 AM   #21
Banned

Check out my blog.

Here are direct links (one of them has a link to an official band gallery):

DELUGE PHOTO: Kalmah

DELUGE PHOTO: Triptykon (link to official gallery in post)

Had extremely poor conditions here:

DELUGE PHOTO: Immolation and Marduk

DELUGE PHOTO: Other Lives

Nearly all shots are with the K-5 and FA35. Some are with the F50 1.7 and a couple with the m85 f2. I use the latter with a fairly long hood and it works REALLY well, but it doesn't have really modern coatings, so there is flare under stage lighting.
12-03-2012, 08:06 AM   #22

Photos: Albums
I love shooting concerts. It's my passion and hobby, and what I've mostly been shooting since I started doing photography again this summer. I'm not very good at it but my pictures have greatly improved since I bought a K-5 this summer. I also like to spend a lot of time tweaking my pictures in Lightroom and Photoshop. I'm mostly into rockabilly/swing/jump blues music. Most of the small venues who host these type of shows will let you walk in with whatever type of gear you have. But it also helps if you know the musicians! I don't use flashes, so even with a DSLR with rather big lenses (17-50mm / 50-135mm), you can still shoot discretely without too much trouble. I love the high contrasts concert photography offers and shooting in such a hard environment with changing lights and movement is a nice challenge. I try not to go above 1600 ISO but I don't mind the grain of higher ISO that much either. Here are a few shots I took with a K-5 and a Sigma 17-50mm f2.8.

My friend Lewis of The Straight Pipes Trio with his beautiful Gretsch.

The HellHounds

The Hellbound Hepcats

My good friend Donovan, lead singer and sax player of Rocket '56.

I also love to take pictures of stages and gear...

Last edited by Into The Lens; 12-03-2012 at 08:29 AM.
12-03-2012, 11:25 AM   #23
Veteran Member

Wow, there are a lot of good photos here. Steven - ISO 12,800? I wish!

When I first started I noticed that my shots were a little soft too. I switched to RAW and made sure that my shutter speed was high enough. Made a huge difference. My colleagues all shoot full frame and that would nice but it's not necessary. A D3100 would not be any better that my K200D or my KX however.

Lenses make a difference too. For most of these I used the DA* 50-135mm and for Slash I used the DA 12-24mm.

The amount and type of light makes a big difference. These are fairly good light.

Extremely dark shows with my K200D at ISO 1600 pushed 1 stop.

Last edited by john5100; 12-03-2012 at 11:40 AM.
12-03-2012, 11:56 AM   #24

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Very nice images indeed!

I'm also surprised on the ISO 12,800 picture. It looks very good. :O
12-03-2012, 12:28 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by memo90061 Quote
I'm also surprised on the ISO 12,800 picture. It looks very good. :O
QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
ISO 12,800? I wish!
Thanks for the comments. The high-ISO was just to illustrate how even on the edge of its IQ envelope, acceptably sharp concert pix could still be obtained by the K-5. I try and avoid going that high, but sometimes there are reasons to go there.

The K-x is no slouch either at 12800 ISO.
Not something you'd use all the time, because you do lose IQ, but for small prints or web use it could do OK:

1/90 f/5.6 ISO 12800 55 mm (kit lens)

Thrillbilly Stomp performing
12-03-2012, 12:53 PM   #26
Veteran Member

Memo - your RX100 shots are great! If you can keep doing that you do not need for a DLSR really.

I go called to do a shoot and I only had my point and shoot at the time
12-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Hey there rawr. Great pictures. I'm just curious to know... why did you go to 12800 ISO for this particular shot? You could've shot it with a faster SS and wider aperture and you could've taken the ISO down a little (to 3200?). What are the reason to go there as you mention?

Great shots as well John5100. I love Slash and I'm a HUGE Dick Dale fan! You're a very lucky man to have been able to shoot those guys.

Personally, I've never had much success above 3200 ISO. I need more practice! I'll try shooting at higher ISO next time I shoot a concert. Now that I have better glass, I'll try it.

Take care and keep'em coming, guys. I love looking at those pictures.

Ben
12-03-2012, 01:08 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by john5100 Quote
Memo - your RX100 shots are great! If you can keep doing that you do not need for a DLSR really.

I go called to do a shoot and I only had my point and shoot at the time

Paul Stanley?! Okay... that one just killed me. I love your The Tubes and KISS sets as well, but the Dick Dale shots really hit me deep. Great work.

Thanks for sharing. True inspiration.
Take care,
Ben
12-03-2012, 01:48 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Into The Lens Quote
Paul Stanley?! Okay... that one just killed me. I love your The Tubes and KISS sets as well, but the Dick Dale shots really hit me deep. Great work.

Thanks for sharing. True inspiration.
Take care,
Ben
Thank you so much and yes, I am very lucky.

These are for you then. Just shot Dick Dale again on Friday night. The site that I shoot for makes them a little soft but you get the idea.

UPDATE
Better link http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnrudolph/sets/72157632162683447/

Last edited by john5100; 12-03-2012 at 06:54 PM.
12-03-2012, 03:23 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by memo90061 Quote
They are very good! how do you sneak the camera in, or do they let DSLRs in?

At all the venues I've been to they don't even let me in with an Olympus E-PL2.
Ever thought of asking?

Write a mail to the producer/band ect. asking if you can take photos and state the purpose of the photos.
If you say it's for non commercial personal use you often get the green light, at least that is my experience...