Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2012, 09:43 PM   #1

Finally here!

My K-5 arrived today (waited over a week). The battery took four hours to charge. But, I've been able to play with two DA lenses and two M prime lenses.

I think I must be a baby to this sort of thing because I haven't found a reason to complain yet about the camera - including its ability to focus in dark situations. I did update the firmware from 1.01 to 1.13. So far, it's makes the D5100 (Nikon) feel like a toy camera. I purchased Yvon Bourque's Pentax K-5 ebook. It's paid for itself with the tips and tricks on the M lenses and how to put that old glass back to work. The 50 f/1.4 does very nicely in low light situations stopped down to f/2.8. I feel as if I'm already falling in love with this camera.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to some daylight shots. That's when the real fun begins. 😁

12-01-2012, 09:48 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I have to agree. I didn't have any complaints about the K-5 when I received mine. It is a stellar camera that I can see providing many years of service. And BTW, I love my old glass on mine, though I am considering a split focus screen...
12-01-2012, 09:55 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by twilhelm Quote
I have to agree. I didn't have any complaints about the K-5 when I received mine. It is a stellar camera that I can see providing many years of service. And BTW, I love my old glass on mine, though I am considering a split focus screen...
I've compared the MF using the K-5 and the micro-prism/split screen on an ME Super. I have to admit that it's optically easier to get in focus. However, shutter button focus confirmation is definitely handy. Man, I'm a kid all over again.
12-01-2012, 11:29 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Congratulations. I received mine about a month ago (it was 5 months old but never used and cost significantly less than a K-30).

I love it! It is so much better than the K-x - including being easier to focus manual lenses. Also got a Pentax A50 f1.4 - what a wonderful lens and works so well on the K-5.

Will definitely checkout that book.

Cheers

Jonathan