Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2012, 10:00 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
I'm pretty bummed that they modified the SD card door so it opens up farther than on the K-7 and K-5 and now it's just too easy to get the card out of the camera

Scott
Hmm, no wonder I feel it's easier to get the SD card out now. Thought it's due to the 3 years' practice (by using K7/K5)

12-05-2012, 02:48 PM   #17

Original Poster
Well its now about what lenses to buy it with! My limited budget can probably only stretch to the 18-55/50-200 WR or 18-135.

Decisions decisions!
12-05-2012, 04:38 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JayX2A Quote
Well its now about what lenses to buy it with! My limited budget can probably only stretch to the 18-55/50-200 WR or 18-135.

Decisions decisions!
If your just getting set up I probably would have suggested a second hand K-5. They can be had for 600-700 USD and have basically the same IQ, obviously the IIs will render a tad more detail but this is only obvious when shooting at F4-F8ish when good technique is used. The few 100 $$ you save would be better put toward lenses. The money you could save by buying the K-5 second hand lets you buy a second hand DA55-300 (approx: $280-300USD) & A tamron 17-50 F2.8 ($300-$350)Then that way you are covered from 17-300mm, have a F2.8 lens for lower light stuff, get two very good lenses, and you come in under budget. Just my thoughts anyway
12-11-2012, 01:18 AM   #19
Forum Member

P-TTL with bounced flash seems to be still broken, unfortunately. Overexposing like hell.

I am currently performing a controlled test with tons of test shots, and will post my analysis when it's done. Soon I hope.

12-11-2012, 01:23 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Typically, I get far better results by not using auto ISO.
You may want to give that a try.
12-11-2012, 04:36 AM   #21
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pinholecam Quote
Typically, I get far better results by not using auto ISO.
You may want to give that a try.
I assume that you referred to me... Thanks.

Off course I'm using manual ISO. There is a more fundamental problem that looks like a plain bug. I'll refrain from giving premature conclusions now. I'm still testing and analyzing...
12-25-2012, 01:23 PM   #22

New to site. Just upgraded to K5II, didn't know there was a K5IIs. Oh well. Having problems with RAW files. Was able to upgrade all my Adobe programs to read files but the Apple ones won't open the files. That means iPhoto and Apple Finder are useless with Raw files from K5II. Anyone have a fix for this? If not, anyone have a clue when Apple upgrades their stuff? I know K5II is new.

12-25-2012, 02:51 PM   #23

Welcome to the forum - try shooting DNG raw in stead of PEF. Contains the same information but is readable by more software.
12-27-2012, 12:11 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My only major issue with my K-5 IIs is it's causing me to use my K-x less and less.

also, it makes my kit lens shots seem sharper, and it's discouraging me from buying that Tamron 17-50.

oh and there was this just one time when I used the built-in flash - image came out with a slight pinkish tinge. I think that was the first time I used it, probably had something to do with the bulb itself. Didn't happen for all other built-in flash shots that followed.

Last edited by Alizarine; 12-27-2012 at 12:17 AM.
12-27-2012, 07:11 AM   #25
Forum Member

P-TTL flash still overexposes badly when the flash is bounced. This bug goes back to the K-7, through the K-5, and now in the K-5II as well, as I confirmed in the following thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/208119-k-5ii-p-ttl-overexposur...-analysis.html

Otherwise the K-5II is a blast. Shame.
09-09-2013, 10:49 PM   #26

QuoteOriginally posted by xhanatos Quote
I've only had one issue with the k5iis.
The camera became unresponsive when I half-pressed the shutter button. The red focus confirmation box and the top lcd were lit up and wouldn't turn off. Pressing any buttons and turning the camera off did not do anything.

I had to remove the battery and after that, everything was fine.

I could not replicate the issue..
To reply to xhanatos. My K5-2s has just been replaced due to a similar problem. It initially played up the same as yours and then also began playing up after a few minutes when I was using live view. The video screen broke up into multi colour streaks and would not focus. Removing the battery fixed the problem temporarily and then after a few more minutes of testing with live view it locked up again. I was told the service agent replaced the video screen but it did not fix the problem so they have replaced the camera.
09-10-2013, 02:22 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kombali Quote
so they have replaced the camera.
Hey Kombali, thanks for sharing. I hope this is a one off issue and not a batch / lot and ends up becoming a trend

Glad you got a working camera now.

I have had some issues on and off but nothing that would dishearten me. One prominent one would be unable to focus in live view mode. I don't shoot live mode, I handed over the camera to a friend who is fairly novice in handling cameras. So I switched to LV and handed over. I saw him struggling to take a picture. I took the camera in my hand I saw pushing the shutter button wasn't doing anything the lens was just hunting for focus. Strange... After that I was able to replicate the issue on rare occasions.

But this issue doesn't bother me, I worked at tech support long enough not to care about things I don't use.

Cheers!
09-10-2013, 02:40 AM   #28

Thanks Dee Dee. I was pleased with the service section, they took awhile, but once they worked out it was going to be difficult to repair they didn't quibble and just offered a replacement. I wasn't too concerned about live view, if the camera was out of warranty i would have lived with it however more problems with focusing were appearing by the time I sent it for repairs. Also i wasn't that happy, when i purchased the camera i also received an 18-135mm lens as a bundle and it had to be replaced due to focusing problems as well as a separate issue. I am looking forward to getting to know my new camera.
09-10-2013, 04:59 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Noam Quote
P-TTL flash still overexposes badly when the flash is bounced. This bug goes back to the K-7, through the K-5, and now in the K-5II as well, as I confirmed in the following thread:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-k-5/208119-k-5ii-p-ttl-overexposur...-analysis.html

Otherwise the K-5II is a blast. Shame.
I am so sorry to see you experiencing this again. Noam, you are one patient man.
09-12-2013, 02:08 PM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by snofox Quote
P-TTL flash still overexposes badly when the flash is bounced.
I can confirm this is still an issue. I just used it the other day with my Oly flash on manual, bounced off of a wall at an odd angle, and all my shots with it were overexposed. Had to give up on the flash and rely on ambient light. Of course I am new to using flashes (other than the built-in) so the fault may lie with me.