Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-04-2012, 09:48 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Shanti's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Western Denmark
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 904
About to take the Jump to K5II(s) but...

Hi the time is ready for me to get another system after too much disappointment with the 4/3 demise...
really am hot for the K5II or IIs,but Nikon is tempting me alot D7000,D300s or D5200..if I had the cash I would get the D800 end of story, but I am limited to about $2500 for now for camera & tele lens
I know Nikon has the same sensor as K5 and alot more lens selection, but I ask you kind people here to convince me the K5II or s is the way to go..as I have said in other posts I plan to do birding & wildlife/nature shots and want as much detail as possible and need high ISO capabilities,as the light in the north here is not always optimal.
if its the K5II or IIs it will be with the kit lens 18-55 as the price diff. is a nobrainer, and I have at least 1 WR lens.just what to get for tele work???? sigma 150-500,sigma 50-500,Pentax 60-250,Pentax DA 300 and hope there is TC soon from Pentax
if its Nikon then Nikon 80-400 or 300, or the sigmas I mentioned before
tethering & timelapse are also a priority
video must be good enough for semipro use
WR is a must in this climate,and a strong body that can take alot of use
flash is not so critcal, but must be good enough for macro work if needed
I have to decide before the end of Dec. for tax reasons,and does anyone think the prices will drop for the holidays? am in Europe so must be and EU shop.
Thanks for any help...

12-04-2012, 09:55 PM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: San Diego
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 883
If video, tethering and timelapse are a priority, you really should go nikon. With a d7000, you should have an adequate amount of weather sealing and comparable performance to a K-5.
12-04-2012, 10:01 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,253
The big advantage with Pentax is that every lens becomes stabilized- including primes, none of which come with VR on Nikon (unless they're longer than 100mm). Also, the user interface is generally more friendly and you can make adjustments much faster in the field (thanks to the hyper program mode). Nikon's advantages include faster AF, manual video controls, and more weather-sealed lenses. The general IQ is going to be the same as both cameras have the same sensor, as you've already mentioned.

If you go with the K-5 (classic), you'd have a bigger lens budget, so that would be one thing to consider. On the other hand, if you plan on getting a D800 once you can afford it, maybe it would be a better idea to start with the D7000 and invest in FX lenses, upgrading just the body later on.

A SDM teleconverter is on its way from Pentax, but you can already get a TC from Sigma and Tamron for traditional screwdrive lenses.

Overall, both systems are great. If you're a prime shooter, Pentax is your friend. If you often shoot stuff that's moving, then Nikon is your friend. But don't forget that thousands of cheap legacy lenses work with Pentax, such as the K 500mm F4.5, which is really, really sharp

As far as tethering goes, both cameras can do it, but only the Nikon has official software (PK_tether for Pentax is free & community-built).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-04-2012, 10:04 PM   #4
Veteran Member
frank's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Singapore
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 3,202
QuoteOriginally posted by adpo Quote
If video, tethering and timelapse are a priority, you really should go nikon. With a d7000, you should have an adequate amount of weather sealing and comparable performance to a K-5.
I'd go w/ Nikon too if I shoot birds a lot often. It's not so easy to find fast Pentax tele lenses, and good quality Pentax tele lenses are over priced (compared w/ Nikon equivalent ones).

12-04-2012, 10:27 PM   #5
Site Supporter
mikeSF's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: East Bay Area, CA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 5,705
QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
I know Nikon has the same sensor as K5 and alot more lens selection...
when you consider all the K-mount and screwmount lenses ever made by Pentax and scads of other companies, the lens selection is dizzying, really. I cannot think of a lens I've needed that I could not find...and they ALL benefit from in-body shake reduction.
12-04-2012, 11:26 PM   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Southern California
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,181
Nikon has good stuff, but almost every body that isn't Full Frame is due for an update - yet isn't out yet. That makes it difficult to choose Nikon right now, in my book. And I would definitely pick a model above the 5200, because in many cases the only viable lens (for a given focal length) requires the legacy AF mechanism. Pentax is all about legacy compatibility, so you can even choose a used K-x or K-r if you like.

However, you'll do a little better for detail and noise with the K-5 IIs over any other APS-C camera from any maker - in general figure on about one stop or more advantage in terms of noise.


The DA*300 is a great lens to go with. I'm using the K-5 IIs with the similar F*300. It's not as long as some like for birding, but the size, weight, WR, and IQ are excellent, and the price is good. Many people like the DA*60-250 (I even came close to getting one myself last month), but if you look at some images you'll see the DA*300 does have better image quality, as should be expected. PENTAX : Select a PENTAX interchangeable lens camera or a lens model

You may be better off getting either a K-30 or K-5 IIs with the 18-135 lens, then adding the DA*300 to it.

Last edited by DSims; 12-04-2012 at 11:40 PM.
12-05-2012, 03:43 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
AdrianM's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Ipswich, Queensland, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 567
I use a K5 with a Sigma 500 f4.5 APO DG EX and it is brilliant for birds. Just waiting until early next year to go with the K5IIS for the improved focus system. There is another user on here "jonk" who has the K5IIS and Sigma 500. Look him up. I don't know about tethering.

Shot taken this morning with K5, Sigma 500 f4.5 APO DG EX and Metz 58AF-2 flash.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
12-05-2012, 03:47 AM   #8
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2012
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 588
QuoteOriginally posted by AdrianM Quote
I use a K5 with a Sigma 500 f4.5 APO DG EX and it is brilliant for birds. Just waiting until early next year to go with the K5IIS for the improved focus system. There is another user on here "jonk" who has the K5IIS and Sigma 500. Look him up. I don't know about tethering.

Shot taken this morning with K5, Sigma 500 f4.5 APO DG EX and Metz 58AF-2 flash.
Nice shot

12-05-2012, 04:26 AM   #9
Site Supporter




Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,913
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Many people like the DA*60-250 (I even came close to getting one myself last month), but if you look at some images you'll see the DA*300 does have better image quality, as should be expected.
Hi
Not sure if I agree, my 60-250 has never let me down as far as image quality is concerned. I have never used the DA*300 so I can't tell but I doubt it is significantly better then what I get from my 60-250. See sample below.

Original size and 100% crop, judge by yourself and tell me.

Greetings

Last edited by Schraubstock; 02-16-2013 at 01:50 AM.
12-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 327
One thing we seem to remember from our Nikon days(D3X) is that for the DX weather sealed cameras(IE D7000) there are almost no weather sealed DX lenses, only the 17-55 f2.8, and it's not stabilized. Don't get me wrong, that's a great lens, but it's only one. Around half of all our Pentax lenses are sealed, and affordable. And Nikon sealed lenses for the FF models will fit the D7000, but are more expensive than the dx models in general. If sealing is important to you, keep this in mind. And most nikon lenses these days have a rubber mount gasket, but that does not mean the lens itself is sealed. Yous pays your money and try to get what is important for you in your feature set.

D&K
12-05-2012, 04:28 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Shanti's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Western Denmark
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 904
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The big advantage with Pentax is that every lens becomes stabilized- including primes, none of which come with VR on Nikon (unless they're longer than 100mm). Also, the user interface is generally more friendly and you can make adjustments much faster in the field (thanks to the hyper program mode). Nikon's advantages include faster AF, manual video controls, and more weather-sealed lenses. The general IQ is going to be the same as both cameras have the same sensor, as you've already mentioned.

If you go with the K-5 (classic), you'd have a bigger lens budget, so that would be one thing to consider. On the other hand, if you plan on getting a D800 once you can afford it, maybe it would be a better idea to start with the D7000 and invest in FX lenses, upgrading just the body later on.

A SDM teleconverter is on its way from Pentax, but you can already get a TC from Sigma and Tamron for traditional screwdrive lenses.

Overall, both systems are great. If you're a prime shooter, Pentax is your friend. If you often shoot stuff that's moving, then Nikon is your friend. But don't forget that thousands of cheap legacy lenses work with Pentax, such as the K 500mm F4.5, which is really, really sharp



As far as tethering goes, both cameras can do it, but only the Nikon has official software (PK_tether for Pentax is free & community-built).

thanks Adam, is is still available this lens ? and alot of the old ones are WR a bit, at least some OLY were from the good ole days.. The better low light focus of K5II is needed here,so probably I choose that one,as not sure how much better the S will be from what I have seen on the reviews/samples
12-05-2012, 04:30 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Shanti's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Western Denmark
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 904
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AdrianM Quote
I use a K5 with a Sigma 500 f4.5 APO DG EX and it is brilliant for birds. Just waiting until early next year to go with the K5IIS for the improved focus system. There is another user on here "jonk" who has the K5IIS and Sigma 500. Look him up. I don't know about tethering.

Shot taken this morning with K5, Sigma 500 f4.5 APO DG EX and Metz 58AF-2 flash.
yes great shot...but the sigma 500 is out of my price range just now
12-05-2012, 04:37 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Shanti's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Western Denmark
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 904
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
Nikon has good stuff, but almost every body that isn't Full Frame is due for an update - yet isn't out yet. That makes it difficult to choose Nikon right now, in my book. And I would definitely pick a model above the 5200, because in many cases the only viable lens (for a given focal length) requires the legacy AF mechanism. Pentax is all about legacy compatibility, so you can even choose a used K-x or K-r if you like.

However, you'll do a little better for detail and noise with the K-5 IIs over any other APS-C camera from any maker - in general figure on about one stop or more advantage in terms of noise.


The DA*300 is a great lens to go with. I'm using the K-5 IIs with the similar F*300. It's not as long as some like for birding, but the size, weight, WR, and IQ are excellent, and the price is good. Many people like the DA*60-250 (I even came close to getting one myself last month), but if you look at some images you'll see the DA*300 does have better image quality, as should be expected. PENTAX : Select a PENTAX interchangeable lens camera or a lens model

You may be better off getting either a K-30 or K-5 IIs with the 18-135 lens, then adding the DA*300 to it.
from what I have read here the 18-135 is not so good? better with the 18-55 kit lens, I thought about the K30 but afaid it won't take hard use,knocks etc.. hope Pentax comes with a TC next year then easier to choose..
I know the DX Nikon's are old D300s, D7000 so maybe dumb to get that now..but as I can take it off my taxes I need to find out before jan .1, and see no new DX on the horizon
12-05-2012, 06:22 PM   #14
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: GMT +10
Photos: Albums
Posts: 10,845
QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
the 18-135 is not so good
It is a perfectly competent lens as a walkabout, general purpose shooter.
You can look here for lots of samples...
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/179869-da-18-1...at-can-do.html
12-05-2012, 10:05 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Shanti's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Western Denmark
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 904
Original Poster
some more questions
would a 200 F2.8 with 2xTC = 400 effective 600mm or a
60-250 F4 with 2xTC = 500 effective 750mm or a
300 F4 with 2xTC = 600 effective 900mm
be better than say a sigma 150-500 effective 750mm, or a sigma 120-400 with 1.7TC = effective 680mm
all are within my budget if i get K5II with 18-55, then later I plan on the 16-50 or another wide lens maybe 12..then I would have all I need
I know TC are best with 2.8 or under lenses but I guess can be used with F4 with decent IQ
thanks again for all your help
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
alot, camera, dslr, k-5, k-5 ii, k-5 iis, k5, k5ii, lens, nikon, pentax k-5, tele, wr
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Are we about to take one step closer to 1984 MRRiley General Talk 57 12-12-2012 09:09 PM
10 things to know about the K5II/K5IIs jpzk Pentax K-5 16 09-24-2012 05:33 AM
Nature A lady bug about to take flight off of my girlfriend's finger DominicDom Post Your Photos! 3 06-07-2012 04:54 PM
About to jump... HoBykoYan Pentax K-5 8 03-30-2012 10:07 AM
About to take the plunge. TomS Pentax K-5 14 07-20-2011 05:47 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:04 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top