Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2012, 03:55 PM   #1
Forum Member

K5ll Performance ?

Thinking about getting the K5ll . How does this camera do in low lite situations? I have had Canon and Nikons in the past but have always liked Pentax cameras my friends have owned. Looking at the K5ll with the 18-135 kit lens to start with till I get familiar with the camera and then figure out where to go with additional lenses. I do mostly outdoor photography lots of wildlife and landscape and lakes and rivers. Any input greatly appreciated. Thanks

12-05-2012, 04:04 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Gold Coast Quote
Thinking about getting the K5ll . How does this camera do in low lite situations? I have had Canon and Nikons in the past but have always liked Pentax cameras my friends have owned. Looking at the K5ll with the 18-135 kit lens to start with till I get familiar with the camera and then figure out where to go with additional lenses. I do mostly outdoor photography lots of wildlife and landscape and lakes and rivers. Any input greatly appreciated. Thanks
In terms of low-light image quality and high-ISO performance, it's the best among APS-C cameras basically, alongside the D7000. Have you seen our K-5 and K-5II reviews?

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-05-2012, 04:12 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes I will read all I can in the next few days. Thanks
12-05-2012, 04:51 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Another feature of K-5 II low-light is the improved AF. The AF in the K-5 II is sensitive down to -3EV, which is very dark indeed. Aside from the new full-frame Canon 6D, I believe no other camera on the market at the moment matches that specification.

12-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Well, due to a culmination of series of bad expriences with Pentax the the US service center I have been looking heavily into switching brands. (and willing to drop a good portion of a years salary to do so)...

I have not had a chance to play with the Canon side of things but have been heavily comparing against the D600 and D4 and Sony's A99. Yes, all beat the K5 slightly but none come anywhere close to beating the K5 high ISO quality sufficiently to make the whole investment worthwhile. The D3s almost certainly. The D4, maybe... but at $6K?

I am, at the moment, quite outraged at both Pentax and the one and only US service center... but it is very difficult to argue with what Pentax equipment has to offer and the price at which it can be obtained.
My only concern would be that if you're doing significant professional business, go with a company that offers professional services and will stand behind their products as advertised.

I guess my point, even though it all... I have to say the K5 is not a bad choice. Its high ISO quality is nothing to sneeze at.

Last edited by amoringello; 12-05-2012 at 04:57 PM.
12-05-2012, 04:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
I have been looking heavily into switching brands
LOL. Out of the frying pan and into the fire, perhaps. That's always the risk. Look at the LensRental.com periodic repair data for example.
12-05-2012, 05:07 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
LOL. Out of the frying pan and into the fire, perhaps.
he, he, yeah. I guess I'll wait until next year's releases or until my K5 falls apart... which ever comes first.
I didn't know LensRental had that sort of list I'll check that out.

12-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by amoringello Quote
I didn't know LensRental had that sort of list I'll check that out.
I should have typed: lensrentals.com.

Here's their most recent repair data report. And just look at what he has to say about Nikon's service: 'Nikon USA’s repair and service sucks and is getting worse'.
12-05-2012, 09:11 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Gold Coast Quote
Thinking about getting the K5ll . How does this camera do in low lite situations?
Have a look at DxOMark's low-light ranking. To better the K-5 II, you'll have to take a full-frame or medium format camera.

In terms of overall sensor score, the K-5 II ranks even higher, beating some full-frame models due to its phenomenal dynamic range.