Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-06-2012, 10:56 AM   #1

K-5 (II) and A-77

Hi Guys,

I'm looking at getting a camera shortly and am down between two cameras. I've read about every review there is out there (and posted on quite a few forums) and I keep coming back to these two, the K-5 II (or K-5 depending on availability) and the Sony A77. From what I can tell, the K-5 II wins in a straight image quality comparison; but, looking at the broader feature set the A77 would win (built in GPS, 12 FPS, articulating screen, face/smile recognition, etc). There isn't a camera store within 200 miles of me where I can pick up and play with both cameras (actually, haven't found one with either camera for that matter) so I can't even do a comparison to see how they feel in my hand.

Is this a broader difference in the philosophy of the two companies? Sony seems more interested in embracing new concepts and tech (SLT as opposed to SLR for example and OLED view finders) and Pentax is more focused on delivering a traditional (d)SLR?

I'm not even sure I can articulate the specifics of my question. I know for what I'm doing either camera will be excellent choices. Its like trying to choose between a Camry and an Accord, they are pretty much the same price and same vehicle and if you don't have a love for Toyota or Honda, its darn hard to find something that really differentiates the two (other than some cosmetic differences). I guess I'm wondering if anyone has had a chance to use both and what (other than a previous investment in a particular system) helped tip the scales (other than brand loyalty).

Thanks for helping!
-Walter

12-06-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It depends on the use - the k-5II is a better outdoors camera (very good weather sealing, a good set of sealed lenses, solid body, great ergonomics, great image quality).

The A77 is more of a well-rounded camera with higher FPS, better video, and articulating screen, better AF (i believe).

I'm not sure on the backwards lens compatibility of the A77, but the k-5II will let you get older manual lenses for cheap and shoot with them. I think it may be more important for you to determine the use of the camera (outdoors, indoors, etc), and the lenses you are interested in.
12-06-2012, 12:03 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I tried the A77 just 2 days ago and I will likely never embrace EVF, just too fake IMHO
12-06-2012, 12:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
It depends on the use - the k-5II is a better outdoors camera (very good weather sealing, a good set of sealed lenses, solid body, great ergonomics, great image quality).

The A77 is more of a well-rounded camera with higher FPS, better video, and articulating screen, better AF (i believe).

I'm not sure on the backwards lens compatibility of the A77, but the k-5II will let you get older manual lenses for cheap and shoot with them. I think it may be more important for you to determine the use of the camera (outdoors, indoors, etc), and the lenses you are interested in.
My Thoughts Exactly.

12-06-2012, 01:10 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The A77 is generally a more advanced camera, but it's not a DSLR even if they try to market it as such. I'd go for the traditional OVF

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-06-2012, 03:36 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I'd never use any Sony SLT camera (at least in its current form).
1. At least 1/3 stop light loss due to the SLT which takes a hit above ISO800.
2. Unsure future with the coming of NEX (E mount) which seems to be rather prominent in their sales. (just like how DSLR are no more for Sony)

For #2, of course there are lenses and new cameras the SLTs right now, but I'm just thinking ahead the next 3-5yrs.
My few cents.
They don't seem to have a qualm on paradigm shifts (both good and bad)
12-06-2012, 04:03 PM   #7

I can't speak to the Pentax because I still have never seen one in person. I was able to play around with the A77 a few months ago at a store mfr demo day. I wasn't really fond of the EVF, but that is purely subjective. I know a lot of people love it because "it shows you exactly what the image will look like when the shutter release is tripped." I'd much rather look through a nice OVF and not have the entire scene change brightness, fade out, change color, etc. I had one of my SD cards along & took a number of photos in the store just for the hell of it. Only a few were on aperture priority, whereas the majority were on the auto setting. Let me just say that I really wanted to like this camera because it does check off a ton of boxes. When I viewed the photos back at home, my jaw hit the floor because they were so incredibly bad. I thought I was looking at something from a cheap P&S at ISO1600. Granted, the auto mode had selected ISO3200. Wow, absolutely dismal results.

I know people who love the camera & swear by it, but I've also seen quite a few posts on forums from owners who have sold it because of horrible IQ even in the lower ISO range (200-800). I'd say it would be worth a few hundred miles of driving to test one out in person.

12-08-2012, 06:41 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by NVSteve Quote
I can't speak to the Pentax because I still have never seen one in person. I was able to play around with the A77 a few months ago at a store mfr demo day. I wasn't really fond of the EVF, but that is purely subjective. I know a lot of people love it because "it shows you exactly what the image will look like when the shutter release is tripped." I'd much rather look through a nice OVF and not have the entire scene change brightness, fade out, change color, etc. I had one of my SD cards along & took a number of photos in the store just for the hell of it. Only a few were on aperture priority, whereas the majority were on the auto setting. Let me just say that I really wanted to like this camera because it does check off a ton of boxes. When I viewed the photos back at home, my jaw hit the floor because they were so incredibly bad. I thought I was looking at something from a cheap P&S at ISO1600. Granted, the auto mode had selected ISO3200. Wow, absolutely dismal results.

I know people who love the camera & swear by it, but I've also seen quite a few posts on forums from owners who have sold it because of horrible IQ even in the lower ISO range (200-800). I'd say it would be worth a few hundred miles of driving to test one out in person.
you might want to check out digital camera world january 2013 issue.
12-08-2012, 01:51 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by obxeye Quote
Not familiar with that magazine. What is it that I would have discovered by reading it?
12-08-2012, 05:21 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by obxeye Quote
Okay, now I know what you were hinting at. I can't believe they rated the A77 so high & praised it at high ISO. They certainly trounced the K-30 while they were at it.
03-28-2013, 04:40 AM   #11

Curious to know which one you chose and why. In the same situation here. Thank you.
03-28-2013, 06:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NVSteve Quote
Okay, now I know what you were hinting at. I can't believe they rated the A77 so high & praised it at high ISO. They certainly trounced the K-30 while they were at it.
The K-30 thrashes the A77 in RAW and JPG at iso 6400 for both noise and detail if compared on DPR.