Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2012, 08:34 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The selling decision K7 vs K20D

I am a late comer to K-5 when I saw it on sale in Thanksgiving and got tempted to join the K-5 ownership club.

Now I am in the planning phase in selling one old body and few other lenses less used. I should have done the other way in selling first before buying but laziness and lack of planning run in my daily life.

I am bringing out my K20D just now trying to compete with K7 for its reasons to stay. I absolutely adore the ergonomics and button layout on K20D. The stranger in me can't get over the changes in K7/K5 alike in the buttons layout, the SD card door and the little thingy in the SR on/off switch. Overall the K-7 is a speedier, better built camera to use and it has many improvements over K20D but it lacks on high iso shooting. Have K-7 had a better high iso handling, I will not hesitate as much in my decision.

My beloved K20D with a Industar pancake in M42 mount.

My mad K7 with Tamron adaptall-2 17mm prime

Two nights ago, I got my older boy to chat with me and I solicited his opinions even though I have to explain to him the differences with the 3 cameras. I did the exercise helping myself to explain the three amigos K20, K-7, K5 to a gear-neutral boy to search for an answer. We came away with selling the K-7 in that talk. As strange as it sounds, the reason is that my K-5 and K-7 look identical and it looks perfect as a backup body but damn boring to keep as a 2nd body.

I need some help to firm up my decision. Comments and suggestions are welcome.

Regards,
Hin

12-07-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
Forum Member

only thing i can think of is that your k-7 and k-5 share pretty much everything, battery grip, batteries, cable switch etc which is a bonus. you only need to carry 1 charger.
12-07-2012, 09:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Hinman - Welcome Back! I had thought we had lost you forever! With all of the great things you have given here and on your site - you area a STAR, at least in my book!

Anyway, as for your question, I'm thinking +1 for Saikou's post. Sell the K-20, unless you have a sentimental or "collector" reason for retaining it. Thanks. Glenn
12-07-2012, 09:44 AM   #4
Veteran Member

K20 gtg ... .

12-07-2012, 10:41 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I would agree with keeping the K-7. I've been shooting with a K10D and K7 for over a year now, It's not unusual for me to go out with both bodies, a long lens on one, short lens on the other. Because the UI is different between the K7 & K10D, quick transitions between the two were cumbersome. I just got a K5II, and I already like the concept of one UI, and shared charger, batteries etc.
12-07-2012, 11:11 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Keeping the K-7 is more practical for reasons stated above, but mostly for user interface and accessory convenience.

If that practicality was really important, you wouldn't be using antique Russian lenses at all, or taking the kind of photos you do. I think you can make an impractical decision here and keep the K20D. There is even a practical argument - better IQ. The photos are the most important part, and if you like the equipment, it's easier to get good photos.

If you're still undecided, use the K-5 for a while exclusively, then pick up the K20D and see how it feels. You'll know right away if it feels great or wrong.
12-07-2012, 12:49 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I did have the K20D and it was a great camera.
Then, I bought a K7 ... then a K5.

For practical purposes, I sold the K20D and kept the K7: same body, same (almost) button arrangements, menus, etc ... as the K5.
I still use the K7 for most of my landscape and "portrait" shots and, in spite of the numerous reports about its ISO "issues", I find it totally useful when one doesn't have to crank the ISO too much.

The K5 is used almost exclusively for birding/wildlife.

So, selling the K20D was a bit upsetting ... I liked this camera but I chose to go with the K7-K5 combo for reasons mentioned above.

JP
12-07-2012, 12:56 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'd keep the K7. It is just an awful lot easier to use the K5 and K7 bodies together than the K20 and K5 bodies together. Also, grips are the same, batteries the same, chargers the same, etc. Muscle memory works better if you aren't switching back and forth between two different lay outs.

As far as sensor goes, the K20 and K7 aren't particularly different, except that the K7 has a little less luminance noise, but you already know that.

12-08-2012, 07:39 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thank you so much for the kind words, comments and suggestions. I will likely to take Just1MoreDave suggestion to take a break from the torture decision and go out, enjoy k-5 and come back to re-assess both K-7 and K20D. I know all the practical and logical reasons for keeping K-7 but I am an odd fellow with cameras. Impractical is my traits in the hobby. Dave got it absolutely right about me.

I have way too many gear to admit without a grin on my face. It is a luxury but also an invisible burden for lesser used gear in busy life with daily work and chores for the beloved family. Selling both the K-7 and K20D can also be another direction to go as I still have a travel-light camera with Sony NEX 5N -- love that small camera a whole lot in travel light outing.

I am always amateur in heart with films and I still love and keep my film cameras though I shamefully don't shoot as much. It is an irony that sometime a visit to my closet for my film cameras warms up my thoughts on photography more so than the digital gear. It is an odd-ball feeling difficult to let go and I only share it with the film loving invisible friend behind the closet.

Again, much thanks for your help and inputs.

Cheers
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 12-08-2012 at 07:45 PM.