Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2012, 09:19 AM   #1
Inactive Account

From a Canon 7D to K5iis?

I'm getting fairly tired of lugging my Canon 7D around and I've been thinking about downsizing, but I don't want to compromise image quality all that much. Pentax hadn't really been on my radar but I've gotten seriously interested in the K5iis. I've also been considering the OMD, or either the Fuji XPRO1 and XE1 (btw, I have an x100 but don't want to be limited to the 35mm fov). All of these have flaws - the AF on the fujis, I'm not a huge fan of EVFs, IQ on the OMD is very lens dependent, and I feel like the OMD is a little overpriced as well. But I can't find a local shop that has the k-5iis in stock to play around with it. Anybody know of one in Los Angeles? Also, how much smaller than a 7D (or bigger than the OMD) is the k-5? I've played on camerasize.com

I'd be using this as an all-rounder. Around the city, landscape, street. This would be my primary camera (outside of birding, where i'll still use my 7D and canon lenses). I'd be getting a few primes to start, maybe adding in a super wide zoom for landscapes. I'm basically looking for a digital Nikon FE2.

12-07-2012, 09:34 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We happen to have a review comparing the two

Canon 7D vs. Pentax K-5 - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Note that this article features the K-5 classic (currently $749), which is basically the same camera. This only difference is that since the IIs lacks an AA filter, it'll deliver slightly more detail with premium lenses at low ISOs and faster apertures. In addition, in extremely low light the IIs will be able to focus when the K-5 classic and 7D can't, unless you have the AF assist light enabled, of course.

The 7D has much better AF, but if you're not a sports shooter, the K-5 is certainly good enough. The K-5 generally has a more friendly and intuitive interface- I've had the chance to use both cameras side-by-side (though I didn't write this particular comparative review). The 7D does have faster processing, though- stuff will show up on the screen faster, and it's continuous buffer/writing speed is better.

BTW, we also have a K-5 II / K-5 IIs review which compares the performance of those cameras to the K-5.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-07-2012, 09:36 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Compare camera dimensions side by side

Several options there to compare the size. I would say the k-5 is about 80% the size of the 7D (and about 85% the weight). Additionally, Pentax has some very nice small primes, so you may be interested in that.

Edit - oh, you have played on Camera Size. Well, let me just say this: The k-5 feels like an entry level camera next to the 7D in size, but has a good weight. Plus, that body is solid solid solid, so it's very deceptive.

Last edited by JinDesu; 12-07-2012 at 09:44 AM.
12-07-2012, 09:40 AM   #4
Ole
Administrator

QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote

Several options there to compare the size. I would say the k-5 is about 80% the size of the 7D (and about 85% the weight). Additionally, Pentax has some very nice small primes, so you may be interested in that.
Since your main objective is to use prime lenses, looking for a camera with in-body shake reduction is the way to go since all lenses will benefit and you don't have to buy expensive prime lenses with built-in image stabilazation.

12-07-2012, 09:47 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
We happen to have a review comparing the two

Canon 7D vs. Pentax K-5 - Introduction - PentaxForums.com

Note that this article features the K-5 classic (currently $749), which is basically the same camera. This only difference is that since the IIs lacks an AA filter, it'll deliver slightly more detail with premium lenses at low ISOs and faster apertures. In addition, in extremely low light the IIs will be able to focus when the K-5 classic and 7D can't, unless you have the AF assist light enabled, of course.

The 7D has much better AF, but if you're not a sports shooter, the K-5 is certainly good enough. The K-5 generally has a more friendly and intuitive interface- I've had the chance to use both cameras side-by-side (though I didn't write this particular comparative review). The 7D does have faster processing, though- stuff will show up on the screen faster, and it's continuous buffer/writing speed is better.

BTW, we also have a K-5 II / K-5 IIs review which compares the performance of those cameras to the K-5.
Thanks! I'll definitely check out that comparison. IQ-wise it seems the k5iis would definitely be an improvement over the 7D. I think my primary concern is the size and handling. It has to feel small enough not to make it feel like a drag to take with me. I've been using my fuji x100 for almost everything lately, but the fixed 35 fov is killing me a bit (and the AF isn't spectacular).
12-07-2012, 09:50 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote

Edit - oh, you have played on Camera Size. Well, let me just say this: The k-5 feels like an entry level camera next to the 7D in size, but has a good weight. Plus, that body is solid solid solid, so it's very deceptive.
Yeah, the selection of smallish primes for the pentax is a big draw for me.
12-07-2012, 10:34 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Flash functionality & speed will be markedly better on the 7D.

M

12-07-2012, 03:28 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brudy Quote
I'd be using this as an all-rounder. Around the city, landscape, street.
I'm surprised that no-one here has mentioned the HUGE difference in dynamic range between the K-5IIs and the 7D, as dxomark.com shows:

Name:  dxo-k5iis-rx100-7d.jpg
Views: 2884
Size:  68.7 KB

For day to day shooting, it could make a big difference to your image quality, expanding the ability to capture shadows and highlights. It can also make a huge difference when post-processing. The ability to pull up the shadows in the K-5, for example, is just awesome. No banding either.

I included the results for the Sony RX100 just to illustrate how dramatically the 7D's sensor tech is showing it's age now
12-07-2012, 04:23 PM   #9

The K 5 with 40mm/2.8 Limited is very light and inconspicuous. I carry it with a wrist loop. I like my Tamron 10-24mm as a landscape zoom
12-08-2012, 01:18 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Interesting, but I'm not a huge dxo fan. I'd rather look at actual images.

QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
I'm surprised that no-one here has mentioned the HUGE difference in dynamic range between the K-5IIs and the 7D, as dxomark.com shows:

Attachment 150450

For day to day shooting, it could make a big difference to your image quality, expanding the ability to capture shadows and highlights. It can also make a huge difference when post-processing. The ability to pull up the shadows in the K-5, for example, is just awesome. No banding either.

I included the results for the Sony RX100 just to illustrate how dramatically the 7D's sensor tech is showing it's age now
12-08-2012, 04:44 PM   #11
CDW
Site Supporter

As a former Canon 5D2 shooter, I could almost guarantee you that you would be very pleased with the IQ of the K5, K5II or the K5IIs. My K5 original version, has high and low ISO performance superior to any of the Canons, past or present, when judging noise in shadow areas. My K5 is so close to my 5D2 in high ISO 'grain' noise that the small improvement the 5D2 offers is irrelevant. For night sky work I prefer the K5 hands down, especially with the GPS tracking option. As you probably know, the 5D2 is quite a lot superior to the 7D in terms of noise performance, so you can draw you own conclusion. In my opinion the DXO comparisons and findings are valid.
12-09-2012, 12:52 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
That's good to hear. I've played with a few raws and they seem very nice with a ton of latitude. Now if only I could my hands one to try out...

QuoteOriginally posted by CDW Quote
As a former Canon 5D2 shooter, I could almost guarantee you that you would be very pleased with the IQ of the K5, K5II or the K5IIs. My K5 original version, has high and low ISO performance superior to any of the Canons, past or present, when judging noise in shadow areas. My K5 is so close to my 5D2 in high ISO 'grain' noise that the small improvement the 5D2 offers is irrelevant. For night sky work I prefer the K5 hands down, especially with the GPS tracking option. As you probably know, the 5D2 is quite a lot superior to the 7D in terms of noise performance, so you can draw you own conclusion. In my opinion the DXO comparisons and findings are valid.
12-11-2012, 05:49 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brudy Quote
That's good to hear. I've played with a few raws and they seem very nice with a ton of latitude. Now if only I could my hands one to try out...
I feel your pain. I lived in LA/San Diego all my life and honestly I have never come accross a store that actually sells Pentax DSLRs.
I got lucky with the K-5, I never handled it in person until it arrived at my doorstep. Not something I would recommend, but I loved it!

A friend of mine is a 7D shooter, and I too found it very heavy and not my cup o tea when it comes to ergonomics. Also, like others have pointed out, the dynamic range absolutely blows the 7D out of the water. She gets about the same noise at ISO 1600 that I do at 6400.

However, AF will be a big step down, so if you shoot a lot of motion and sports, you may be disappointed. Also, pentax primes, while certainly nice, are not the value they once were (search UPP).
12-11-2012, 06:12 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
I feel your pain. I lived in LA/San Diego all my life and honestly I have never come accross a store that actually sells Pentax DSLRs.
I got lucky with the K-5, I never handled it in person until it arrived at my doorstep. Not something I would recommend, but I loved it!

A friend of mine is a 7D shooter, and I too found it very heavy and not my cup o tea when it comes to ergonomics. Also, like others have pointed out, the dynamic range absolutely blows the 7D out of the water. She gets about the same noise at ISO 1600 that I do at 6400.

However, AF will be a big step down, so if you shoot a lot of motion and sports, you may be disappointed. Also, pentax primes, while certainly nice, are not the value they once were (search UPP).
Yeah, I'm surprised I can't find a place that has them (what can't you find in LA?). I'm not a huge fan of buying and returning so I would really rather get to try one first. I might be in NYC over xmas and if that works out I'll hit B&H. But how the camera feels to me is really important - it has to feel noticeably smaller and easier to wield than the 7D, otherwise it's not worth it to me. Lenswise - I'd go with the 31mm out of the gate and then figure out something really wide and then maybe that 77mm and call it a day. I'd also seriously consider a zeiss 50mm, if I can find one.

While I'm not shooting sports with this, I need the AF to feel faster than my fuji x100 (otherwise I'd just go with a Fuji XE1 or XPRO1). One of my gripes about the fuji is that in general it feels slow to operate. I like the speed of my 7D in terms of well, everything. I've also considered getting a new 6D (since I have a lot of canon lenses) and then something really small like the OMD, rather than going for a one size fits all solution. I also really like the IQ and handling of the Fujis (aperture and ss dials), but the lack of solid raw support and slow AF make it less than slam dunk.
12-11-2012, 06:23 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Samy's Camera in LA carries Pentax.I don't see any K5 on their website. I purchased my K5 from them in January. You might call, and see if one of their stores has a K5IIs on display.