Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-07-2012, 10:27 AM   #1

Color Shift with Exposure

Hi Folks!

I'm dealing with some weirdness with my K5, and I'm hoping someone here can explain ...

Take a look at the two images attached here. They're not great images, but they do illustrate the problem of odd color shifting with changes in exposure.

There's only one stop (1 EV) of exposure difference, but you can see how the reds are shifted and somewhat blown out in the lighter exposure.

And generally, I've found that the K5 color rendition changes radically with relatively small changes in exposure. That's tough for me doing news photography.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!
Dave

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
12-07-2012, 02:07 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Blown out saturated reds are a problem - underexpose. Lower iso gives more dynamic range. As to color balance, what settings do you use? I suggest not using AWB, which will drift with minor changes in the scene.
12-07-2012, 02:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Ah yes - the red-to-magenta shift.

I tackle that problem by changing to the natural custom image setting, saturation -1 and possibly hue +1 (a slight green shift). That'll usually fix the problem without lowering the exposure much.

Regards,
--Anders.
12-07-2012, 02:19 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
As to color balance, what settings do you use?
I've tinkered with a variety of color balance settings to deal with the issue, but if I choose a less saturated setting, I find myself with unpleasantly unsaturated images. And saturation is needed when you're printing to newsprint.

QuoteOriginally posted by civiletti Quote
I suggest not using AWB, which will drift with minor changes in the scene.
That's an interesting thought. I'll switch to "Daylight" for awhile and see what happens.

Thanks!
Dave

12-07-2012, 02:20 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by asp1880 Quote
Ah yes - the red-to-magenta shift.

I tackle that problem by changing to the natural custom image setting, saturation -1 and possibly hue +1 (a slight green shift). That'll usually fix the problem without lowering the exposure much.
Thanks! I'll give it a try!
Dave
12-07-2012, 06:07 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Can you try to use CP filter, and see results.
Cheers