Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-08-2012, 04:53 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Display scratched

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Hello everyone, is it possible that the K-5 display scratches easily? My istDS has suffered through 5 years of abuse with few scratches. The K-5 is hardly 1 month old and the display is badly scratched. Wtf? Why didn't they use gorilla glass? With phones I am a bit angry about the use of gorilla glass, because when you drop the phone it shatters. But how often do you drop a DSLR? Scratch protection would be much more important there.

Guess I'll need to find a screen protector asap. Any way to get rid of the scratches?

12-08-2012, 05:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

How did you get scratches?

I use lots of cameras - point-and-shoots, NEX, 3 Pentax DSLR's - and not gotten a scratch on the rear LCD ever. And I do not use LCD protectors or even fitted camera cases.

Your scratches may only be superficial - try cleaning the LCD with a lens cleaning solution.
Or buy a K-5 II - they have newer. tougher glass on the rear LCD
12-08-2012, 03:56 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Hum i have the K-5 from almost the beginning , a lot of travel, etc . Not a single scratch
12-08-2012, 07:50 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've yet to have any scratches on my K5 either, and I've had it for some time as well.

12-08-2012, 08:10 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Careful when you wear those button up shirts, they are scratch magnet for your K-5.

Google up LCD Scratch repair and buy one of those, they only work for light scratches. Then buy a screen protector, I recommend buying ACMAXX Screen protector for k-5. http://www.ebay.com/itm/ACMAXX-3-0-HARD-LCD-ARMOR-PROTECTOR-Pentax-K5-K-5-K5D-D-/230678576903
12-09-2012, 01:28 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Long straps and big belt buckles as well as copper riveted jeans can lead to the scratching of the LCD screen when the camera bumps against the body. Just buy a cheap screen protector for some peace of mind.
12-25-2012, 11:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sorry for the late reply. I carry the camera in a vintage camera bag. Lenses are in the same compartment, but I do try to arrange the camera so that the screen faces the soft side of the bag rather than a lens. Did that for many years with my istDs and hardly got a scratch, so I was surprised. Shall try to find a scratch remover and a screen protector. On my phone I am using Xtremeguard, so I might use the same for the camera. But I'll also look at the suggested one here.. Thanks!

What's the difference with the hard ones? Xtremeguard is rubbery so it heals itself. The hard one that was suggested here... Is it glass or just the same sort of plastic Pentax used? Or how shall I imagine it?

I have attached a photo of how it looks like. After 1 month! Can this be polished out? I'm worried about damaging the coating.

The acmaxx screen protector looks good.

PS: the top screen sounds a bit like glass...

Last edited by kadajawi; 06-26-2017 at 12:35 PM.
12-26-2012, 02:28 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Looks like your camera bag has some sharp grains of something imbedded in the fabric that comes in contact with the screen. I judge this by the pattern of the scratches I see.

Greetings
12-26-2012, 05:34 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I would not worry about it. The scratched plastic is relatively easily replaced. if you contact a Pentax service centre they can sell you a replacement plastic cover and associated double-sided adhesive tape for about $20 to $30. You then gently heat up the existing cover with a hair dryer to soften the adhesive on the existing tape and remove the plastic with a suction cup or lever it up. Then glue on the replacement.

The service centre could do the replacement for you for a small fee if you can't be bothered with DIY.

I would not bother with screen protectors as they degrade visibility and are not much cheaper than a replacement cover.

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Sorry for the late reply. I carry the camera in a vintage camera bag. Lenses are in the same compartment, but I do try to arrange the camera so that the screen faces the soft side of the bag rather than a lens. Did that for many years with my istDs and hardly got a scratch, so I was surprised. Shall try to find a scratch remover and a screen protector. On my phone I am using Xtremeguard, so I might use the same for the camera. But I'll also look at the suggested one here.. Thanks!

What's the difference with the hard ones? Xtremeguard is rubbery so it heals itself. The hard one that was suggested here... Is it glass or just the same sort of plastic Pentax used? Or how shall I imagine it?

I have attached a photo of how it looks like. After 1 month! Can this be polished out? I'm worried about damaging the coating.

The acmaxx screen protector looks good.

PS: the top screen sounds a bit like glass...
12-26-2012, 06:48 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
LCD screens? these things have LCD screens?....Hmmmm ......never noticed
12-26-2012, 10:01 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Oh, that'd be kind of neat, but I'm not in the US, so I don't know how much it is here. Will have to ask my shop.

A proper screen protector would still be better though I think, if they are scratched less easily. I mean, maybe the display cover has came into contact with my lenses once in a while, but this looks _bad_. I haven't treated the K-5 any different from my *istDs, probably even better, but the *istDs was kept in this bag, with the same lenses, for many years (4 years in this bag, and before that it was also used), the K-5 only for a month and a half. The K-5 looks worse.

I do use the display since I also shoot video, and I use it to review photos once in a while. It just bothers me.

Anyway, it could be the bag, yes, but if so, then they used much lower quality plastic than on the *istDs (ok, I'm sure they did, if you compare what 4 years did to the *istDs and what 6 weeks did to the K-5).

Last edited by kadajawi; 06-26-2017 at 12:35 PM.
12-26-2012, 10:19 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I've used them all and the Giotto protectors with Schott glass are the finest available.
12-27-2012, 11:05 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
How about this one?New 0 5mm Premium LCD Screen Panel Protector Glass for Pentax K 5 K7 Camera Y160 | eBay

Very affordable, and it is glass. So should be more resistant to scratches than the ACMAXX.

Do you think the scratches can be removed by a repair kit? Won't it damage the coating?