Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-10-2012, 12:13 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Replacing K-7 as my second body...

I have a K-5, a K-7, and a K-01. I am looking to replace the K-7 with a second K-5 of some variety.

The main reason is that I like my K-5 so much more than my K-7, that I alway feel guilty shooting second with my "second best" camera. So I figure a pair of the same would be better. I recently did a wedding and the K-5 shots were just so much better than the one with the K-7.

So anyway... I have all 3 choices before me. If the K-II/IIs were not around, it would be a no-brainer for me. But is the K-5 IIs worth the additional cost from the now-discounted K-5? If I get the K-5 IIs, am I going to be in the same boat I am in now, but with the K-5 being second fiddle?

Suggestions?

12-10-2012, 12:24 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Yes, you will be in the same boat. I had a K-5 and bought a K-5 IIs thinking to keep K-5 as backup, but within a few weeks realized that I was avoiding the K-5 because it was "2nd best"................so I sold the K-5 and will be receiving my new K-5 IIs later today.............it's probably all in my head, but now I have a full time body for my 15mm LTD and will have one K-5 IIs mounted on my "L" bracket and it will be the one to use for tripod shooting and the other for hand-held...........

I'm beginning to think I need a shrink..............
12-10-2012, 01:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GDRoth Quote
Yes, you will be in the same boat. I had a K-5 and bought a K-5 IIs thinking to keep K-5 as backup, but within a few weeks realized that I was avoiding the K-5 because it was "2nd best"................so I sold the K-5 and will be receiving my new K-5 IIs later today.............it's probably all in my head, but now I have a full time body for my 15mm LTD and will have one K-5 IIs mounted on my "L" bracket and it will be the one to use for tripod shooting and the other for hand-held...........

Not in your head.

I use the same laptop for home and work because I don't like keeping things synced between two difference machines. I tote the same external keyboard with me as well... because I never want to be without my best.

A little of that is what was making think the switch was in order... but perhaps just getting a second K-5 will be the best way to go. Otherwise I gotta buy two!!!
12-10-2012, 01:26 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would hold off and see what the PhotoPlus show brings. That is, if you can live with the K-7 until then, and actually hide away the upgrade money.

12-10-2012, 05:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ditch the K-5 and go for the K-5IIs. K-5 owners will probably think the K-5 is good enough and the difference between the models is small but after more than a thousand frames with the K-5IIs, I will never go back to a K-5 ever.
12-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
I will never go back to a K-5 ever.
Care to elaborate?
12-10-2012, 06:49 PM - 1 Like   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by crewl1 Quote
Care to elaborate?
AF accuracy on my K-5 progressively got worse that Pentax Japan had my SR module completely replaced. Even then, the AF while much improved was never as good as the new K-30. Within 10 minutes of handling and testing the K-30, it was painfully clear that the 2 years tech gap between the models, Pentax has improved as far as AF was concerned particularly shooting indoors and in close focusing situations. AF with the K-5IIs is much improved over the K-5, not just in low light where it is a non contest. The exposure accuracy seems to be a little better too with the K-5IIs and then there's the sharpness of the images from the sensor... unbeatable. Buying an out of production model to save a bit of money when one can get an improved model not too much more is false economy in my book. The K-5 was good, but that was two years ago and technology has moved on. Having good lenses has always been important, but with digital photography the performance of the sensor and electronics is even more so.

Last edited by creampuff; 12-10-2012 at 07:00 PM. Reason: typo
12-10-2012, 07:07 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by GDRoth Quote

GD,

Gosh, you are full of surprises !

Remember, way back when, "we" were discussing the "need" for a compact back up camera for my K5 ? Then all of a sudden I see you are moving on to the K5IIs. Good for you!

I thought about getting another K5 as the prices are going down like crazy and I thought that I'd better hold off for a while and see what comes up over the next few months.
I still carry my ol' K7 around and even bought an eeS screen for usage with my love-hate Zeiss 85/1.4 ... hopefully this will have taken care of the infamously notorious "focus shift" with that lens.

In the meantime, I did get me one of those Q's and I am having fun with it .... don't know for how long though as I get tired of anything new quite fast.

@klkitchens: So, I am pretty much in the same situation here: one K5, one K7 and a Q (not quite a K01, I must admit).
From what I am reading through numerous threads and posts here on PF, I would dare "guessing" that your best bet, to get a second body with the qualities of the K5 is to get another K5 ... the K5IIs.
I still like my K7 though: great pics if you don't push the ISO too high, and I am absolutely sure that you know all about that already.

I am very tempted to get a K5IIs myself.
Time will tell how the K7 is performing with that Zeiss 85/1.4 which I will likely sell, along with the K7, if I am not yet satisfied with the results I am expecting with the addition of the eeS focusing screen.

Cheers.

JP
12-10-2012, 07:28 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by creampuff Quote
Ditch the K-5 and go for the K-5IIs. K-5 owners will probably think the K-5 is good enough and the difference between the models is small but after more than a thousand frames with the K-5IIs, I will never go back to a K-5 ever.
I totally agree, having just upgraded from my K-5 (which I loved) to the iis. After reading all the technical threads on whether the upgrade was worth it or not, I still couldn't make up my mind. Black Friday solved that dilemma, and I've not looked back for a second. I can't give you measurements or tests or detailed analyses - all I know is that I'm delighted with the iis. My images are sharper, colors seem richer, I'm spending far less time on pp, and the AF is a pleasure to use. I was never unhappy with the K-5 classic, but now it feels as if good just became perfect. Trying out old lenses has been a bit like playing old CD's on a new hi-fi, rediscovering old pleasures, and discovering new layers and subtleties. I'm also now considering getting a second iis, and consigning the K-5 to a deserving cause.
12-10-2012, 07:34 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by bjdavey Quote
I totally agree, having just upgraded from my K-5 (which I loved) to the iis. After reading all the technical threads on whether the upgrade was worth it or not, I still couldn't make up my mind. Black Friday solved that dilemma, and I've not looked back for a second. I can't give you measurements or tests or detailed analyses - all I know is that I'm delighted with the iis. My images are sharper, colors seem richer, I'm spending far less time on pp, and the AF is a pleasure to use. I was never unhappy with the K-5 classic, but now it feels as if good just became perfect. Trying out old lenses has been a bit like playing old CD's on a new hi-fi, rediscovering old pleasures, and discovering new layers and subtleties. I'm also now considering getting a second iis, and consigning the K-5 to a deserving cause.
Why wouldn't the OP ditch the K7, or the K01 instead ?? And keep two K5 bodies: one K5 and one K5IIs ??

JP
12-10-2012, 07:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I am in the same boat as jpzk, just getting into the Q with lots of fun. My k-5 is serving me well so far... may be time to retire my k-07 (which I use mainly to test my collection of MF lenses and a backup for some photo events). As creampuff pointed that, may be k-5 is good but 5IIs is another level higher which is desirable and enjoyable to use. I am sure this is not the end of my CBA... when FF comes around, perhaps 5IIs will become affordable. Thanks to all for the valuable input.

Last edited by aleonx3; 12-10-2012 at 07:46 PM. Reason: typo
12-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jpzk Quote
Why wouldn't the OP ditch the K7, or the K01 instead ?? And keep two K5 bodies: one K5 and one K5IIs ??

JP
Read the whole thread... I could get the K5IIs to replace the K7, but then the K5 would be the "worse" camera resulting in the same "step-headed red-child" treatment of it.
12-11-2012, 12:10 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by klkitchens Quote
Read the whole thread... I could get the K5IIs to replace the K7, but then the K5 would be the "worse" camera resulting in the same "step-headed red-child" treatment of it.
yes, klkitchens. Once you have the K-5 IIs, the K-5 becomes ho hum.....................

JP: The K5 IIs is so nice I'm considering selling my Fuji X100 (which resulted from your thread of last year.........My K-5 IIs with its dedicated 15mm LTD is not much heavier than the X100.....................but the Fuji color is just so special....
12-13-2012, 03:19 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
So now I'm actually thinking of replacing the K7 with a K30...

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/?c1=k7&c2=k30&c3=k5