Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-11-2012, 06:01 AM   #1

K5 LCD issues after new battery grip

Hey there everyone, I've got a K5, and recently I purchased a battery grip.
After having used the grip after a session I attempted to unscrew it from the camera to discover it was stuck. I screwed it back in and then screwed it off fine. However, upon screwing it off, I found a pin from the grip had been dislodged from the grip is stuck in the bottom of the camera, and the LCD now flickers. The grip in question was from a thirdparty which I now obviously regret purchasing.

What is the diagnosis? I also noticed, upon sharp movements while holding the camera body i can feel something move inside it. Should this be the case? Everything aside from the LCD seems to be in working order. Has the camera been subject to some trauma I am not aware of? If anyone reads and is able to help, thank you so much.

12-11-2012, 08:14 AM   #2
Forum Member

I had the same stuck pin problem with a 3rd party grip. No LCD problems fortunately, so maybe they are unrelated in your case (i.e. just a coincidence).
12-11-2012, 12:06 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Welcome to the forums!
QuoteOriginally posted by AlexLionBriggs Quote
What is the diagnosis?
Why not simply remove the stuck pin with a pair of pliers or tweezers, or something?

QuoteOriginally posted by AlexLionBriggs Quote
I also noticed, upon sharp movements while holding the camera body i can feel something move inside it. Should this be the case?
Yes, that movement is related to the shake-reduction system. The camera's imaging sensor is held in place by magnets and 'floats' around a bit. This is the first question most new Pentax users ask. All is well.
12-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Welcome to the forums!

Why not simply remove the stuck pin with a pair of pliers or tweezers, or something?

Yes, that movement is related to the shake-reduction system. The camera's imaging sensor is held in place by magnets and 'floats' around a bit. This is the first question most new Pentax users ask. All is well.
Thanks for the welcome rawr, and for your responses. I will go ahead with the removal. I was unsure at first whether or not it was electrical or simply a connective pin.
I have a thorough understanding of the sr, having bought the body with astrophotography in mind. Obviously I've handled it quite a lot and the movement last night was not something I'd noticed before.
But my perception was probably amplified from my anxiousness about the LCD flickering and not looking 'right' etc..
Anyway, after a nights sleep, the camera is apparently fine. I woke up this morning and turned it on to discover the LCD is completely normal again. Pretty weird but I'm not complaining.
Thanks for your help everyone, it's nice to have this community resource and I'll be sure to donate.
Alex

12-11-2012, 03:35 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Oh, and welcome fellow /p/ friend.
12-12-2012, 12:45 AM   #6

Original Poster
I should have know haha.