Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2012, 12:02 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K5IIs No Moire, but false color?

I recently went out shooting holiday lights with my K5IIs. In the photos below you can see the brown tree trunks all look bright bluish purple. This showed up on the lcd screen right away. I took several shots because I've never had this happen before. I'v also had some less dramatic, but strange results with color with this camera. I do love that it's crazy sharp, but color is important to me & I'm now wondering if this is a lack of AA filter problem if B&H will exchange for a K5II.
I'm by no means a technical expert & I did read the one thread I found about false color just last night (a little too late). I think if I had known this in advance I would have gone for the K5II. Any thought or opinions you have about what caused this I if you believe there is something I could have done to prevent it would be appreciated. Would a K5II do this as well or do I need to see if it's possible to exchange?

More photos can be seen here Flickr: Lotus21's Photostream

Attached Images

12-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I once had similar "false color" that resembled that when shooting in a dark roller-rink with disco lights - and that was my K-5. So I'm not sure your "s" is to blame.
12-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Might be a reflection of some sort- was there a black light around anywhere? A nano-coated lens might be the solution here.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

12-14-2012, 12:22 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I think it's due to mixed lighting. The overall WB correction will be towards making a warm (i.e. orange-yellowish) average lighting more blue, so if you then have a few white or slightly blue lights in the scene they will look even more blue as will the objects lit by them.

12-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Might be a reflection of some sort- was there a black light around anywhere? A nano-coated lens might be the solution here.
I'm not sure about a black light, but there was a carousel nearby with mostly light blue lights on it.
12-14-2012, 12:42 PM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by SteveB Quote
I think it's due to mixed lighting. The overall WB correction will be towards making a warm (i.e. orange-yellowish) average lighting more blue, so if you then have a few white or slightly blue lights in the scene they will look even more blue as will the objects lit by them.
Yes, it think this is yhe reason. If there was a colour rendition problem with the camera, it would manifest itself during daytime outdoors shooting too. Anytime strange happening with flower colours? (Probably the wrong time of the year to be asking that in the Northern Hemisphere.)

Dan.
12-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dosdan Quote
Yes, it think this is yhe reason. If there was a colour rendition problem with the camera, it would manifest itself during daytime outdoors shooting too. Anytime strange happening with flower colours? (Probably the wrong time of the year to be asking that in the Northern Hemisphere.)

Dan.
Thanks everyone for your quick replies. Dan, no problem with color rendition outside. I generally like the cooler white balance, maybe in this situation it just made the issue that was already there more pronounced. This was a photoshoot I went on with other Flickr members. I did notice one shot of the same scene from a Canon 5D MKII which did not have the purple trees, but was overall very yellowish gold & not what my eye saw while standing there.
Here is her shot for comparison sake http://www.flickr.com/photos/traciehowe/8269229038/ - I can't say I like the WB in it , but she did manage to minimize the blue trees although if I look closely I can still see a little.
I'm starting to be convinced this is probably not an "s" problem.

Last edited by LRB21; 12-14-2012 at 01:18 PM.
12-14-2012, 01:38 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LRB21 Quote
Thanks everyone for your quick replies. Dan, no problem with color rendition outside. I generally like the cooler white balance, maybe in this situation it just made the issue that was already there more pronounced. This was a photoshoot I went on with other Flickr members. I did notice one shot of the same scene from a Canon 5D MKII which did not have the purple trees, but was overall very yellowish gold & not what my eye saw while standing there.
Here is her shot for comparison sake Westlake_Center_holiday_lights1 | Flickr - Photo Sharing! - I can't say I like the WB in it , but she did manage to minimize the blue trees although if I look closely I can still see a little.
I'm starting to be convinced this is probably not an "s" problem.
One thing you might try is adjusting the white balance in post processing.

12-14-2012, 02:23 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
what software are you using in Post? I think lightroom 4 has a sliders on the chromatic aberation tab where you can isolate certain colors. I don't know if that would end affecting the blue lights also, but it might be worth a shot.
12-14-2012, 02:46 PM - 1 Like   #10
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
One of the trees in the Canon shot has the same blue bark effect. On your first shot above it looks like the source of the blue light was from the right side of the camera, and on the second shot it was more behind the camera. I'd bet on the carousel with blue lights.
When there are monochromatic light sources around all bets are off on digital. Here are a couple of K-5 throw-away shots from a roller rink so dark the viewfinder was useless - but I think they illustrate the same thing. The blue lights on the skaters really surprized me, because they did not look vivid when seen live. The camera must be very sensitive to blue light.
Name:  SoBlue.JPG
Views: 874
Size:  309.0 KB
Name:  DerbyQueen.JPG
Views: 765
Size:  222.1 KB
12-14-2012, 03:06 PM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
what software are you using in Post? I think lightroom 4 has a sliders on the chromatic aberation tab where you can isolate certain colors. I don't know if that would end affecting the blue lights also, but it might be worth a shot.
I am using LR4. Thanks, I hadn't thought to try the CA adjustment, I just tried the WB. I'll give it a try.

QuoteOriginally posted by TomB_tx Quote
One of the trees in the Canon shot has the same blue bark effect. On your first shot above it looks like the source of the blue light was from the right side of the camera, and on the second shot it was more behind the camera. I'd bet on the carousel with blue lights.
When there are monochromatic light sources around all bets are off on digital. Here are a couple of K-5 throw-away shots from a roller rink so dark the viewfinder was useless - but I think they illustrate the same thing. The blue lights on the skaters really surprized me, because they did not look vivid when seen live. The camera must be very sensitive to blue light.
Attachment 151441
Attachment 151442
Tom,
Thanks for taking the time to have a look & showing me your photos. Except for the Canon shot mentioned above, no one from the group has posted a photo of those trees that isn't B&W.

To everyone who commented thanks. I'm convinced this would have happened with any camera so I won't be ditching my IIs.
Linda
12-14-2012, 03:19 PM - 2 Likes   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I threw your sample in LR4 and using a combination of chromatic aberration and blue desaturation it seemed to take care of most of it. I saved it in the attachment to this post. Hope you don't mind...

Looks like the blue sign in the background is now white though Maybe I should have used the brush tool to desaturate the blue on the trees and that would have left the sign alone...
Attached Images

Last edited by vagrant10; 12-14-2012 at 11:46 PM.
12-14-2012, 03:32 PM - 1 Like   #13
Site Supporter

I agree with the assessment of mixed lighting. Taking outdoor shots at twilight or night is a real chore, where there is incandescent, florescent, mercury vapor, sodium vapor, LED lighting, etc.

Anyhow, the blue color has nothing to do with the lack of AA filter in your IIs model. The "false color" you are referring to, shows up where you have moire patterns. I don't see any moire in your photos. Just wanted to make it clear that this would probably happen with the K-5 II as well. I have some indoor K-5 shots that exhibit this.
12-14-2012, 03:43 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vagrant10 Quote
Got rid of most of the it on the first image using the CA sliders. You can see the altered version here: No Purple Trees! | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Last edited by LRB21; 12-17-2012 at 06:02 PM.