Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-16-2012, 01:33 AM   #1

change default 2s self timer time on K5??

I am taking some photos through an astronomical telescope, which because of its mass and shape has a significant settling time after any mechanical disturbance (e.g. pressing the shutter button on the camera or the action of the mirror locking up). I am using the self timer at 2s to achieve immediate mirror lockup followed by 2s delayed shutter release which works quite well. However, I am wondering whether a few more seconds settling would be better again.

using interval shooting doesn't achieve the desired effect, as it seems to disable the shutter release delay inherent in the 2s self timer function - the mirror locks up just prior to the shutter release for each shot in the sequence.

So the only option would seem to be to extend the default 2s timer time. Is this possible?

Thanks, Andrew

12-16-2012, 01:40 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew Crouch Quote
I am taking some photos through an astronomical telescope, which because of its mass and shape has a significant settling time after any mechanical disturbance (e.g. pressing the shutter button on the camera or the action of the mirror locking up). I am using the self timer at 2s to achieve immediate mirror lockup followed by 2s delayed shutter release which works quite well. However, I am wondering whether a few more seconds settling would be better again.

using interval shooting doesn't achieve the desired effect, as it seems to disable the shutter release delay inherent in the 2s self timer function - the mirror locks up just prior to the shutter release for each shot in the sequence.

So the only option would seem to be to extend the default 2s timer time. Is this possible?

Thanks, Andrew
There is a 3s mode when using the remote, or you can use plain old MLU mode when you decide how long you want to wait. The remote will always come in handy when keeping things stable is your top priority.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-16-2012, 04:20 AM   #3
Den
Veteran Member

If you are not using a remote, can't you set the self timer to 12 sec? (does the mirror pop up in 12 sec mode)? Or as Adam said, just use MLU and press the remote when you want.

Last edited by Den; 12-16-2012 at 04:28 AM.
12-16-2012, 07:16 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I have a similar problem with my extreme macro because the mirror and curtain create vibration. To minimise vibration I use manual 10s settings and shoot on rear sync by which time the vibes have died. Unfortunately Pentax is very limited when it comes to matters like this for your needs I think. Even if you use b there is still vibration when the b starts. In liveview you actually get 4 mirror movements, lv on, lv off, exposure start, exposure off, it would have been so much better if the middle two didn't flip the mirror. i think you can set the time in a Canon and in decent Canon models and brands that use modern technology like Sony you can also avoid the issue with EFSC (electronic front shutter curtain). Pentax doesn't use leading edge technology.

Last edited by Nass; 12-16-2012 at 07:22 AM.
12-16-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
Banned

Photos: Gallery
I would use the mirror up combined with the remote so you don't have to touch the camera.
12-16-2012, 10:04 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Den Quote
If you are not using a remote, can't you set the self timer to 12 sec? (does the mirror pop up in 12 sec mode)? Or as Adam said, just use MLU and press the remote when you want.
2 second timer mode moves the mirror first, beeps 2 seconds, then captures the photo.
12 seconds mode beeps 12 seconds first, then moves the mirror and captures the photo. Why, Pentax?
12-16-2012, 07:41 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Andrew Crouch Quote
As others have said, use either mirror lock up (MLU) mode with a wired remote, or get an infrared remote and use MLU +IR mode.

In both cases, first press of remote lifts the mirror and beeps to tell you mirror is locked up, second press opens shutter for selected exposure time.

12-17-2012, 05:00 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks folks - I think I'll go for the cable release / wired remote option with mirror lockup.

Andrew
12-19-2012, 01:03 PM   #9
Pentaxian

There is another way.
Lock up the mirror with live view and then use the normal 12sec delay = 12 sec delay with mirror lock up.
12-20-2012, 02:46 AM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks !

Good one Gimbal, welll done ! - thank you for that.

Andrew
11-05-2013, 06:18 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Thank you!!! I'm heading out this weekend to (hopefully) shoot a few Ison shots and was trying to figure this out.