Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-17-2012, 02:13 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Focusing Screen Woes...

So I'm looking to replace the Focusing Screen on my K-5. Looked at the reviews and see that the Canon EE-S screen from FocusingScreen.com is considered a really good one.

Problem is, I don't see that as an option. Is that the same as the S-Type they have listed under the Pentax K-5? I looked under the Canon 5D Mark II and no EE-S was listed (as others said they had to cut them down themselves).

Not sure if the terminology varies or I'm just dense

Thanks!

12-17-2012, 02:21 PM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by klkitchens Quote
So I'm looking to replace the Focusing Screen on my K-5. Looked at the reviews and see that the Canon EE-S screen from FocusingScreen.com is considered a really good one.

Problem is, I don't see that as an option. Is that the same as the S-Type they have listed under the Pentax K-5? I looked under the Canon 5D Mark II and no EE-S was listed (as others said they had to cut them down themselves).

Not sure if the terminology varies or I'm just dense

Thanks!
The S-Type listed on FocusingScreen.com is in fact the EE-S screen that was originally made for the Canon 5D Mark I. The owner of FS had those screens cut to fit the K-5 so you don't have do that yourself it also comes with a set of shims and installation tools, hence the premium price.

I personally have the EE-S screen installed on my Canon 5D MKI and it's simply amazing for fast lenses (e.g. f1.2 or f1.4)

Last edited by ducdao; 12-17-2012 at 02:31 PM.
12-17-2012, 02:23 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You're not dense. I, too, was looking but am not sure what to get. I bought a split screen from Terence camera in Hong Kong and fitted it to my K-7 yesterday. It's a bit dark with slower lenses so I'm interested in the Canon screen.
12-17-2012, 02:29 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ducdao Quote
The S-Type listed on FocusingScreen.com is in fact the EE-S screen that was originally made for the Canon 5D Mark I. The owner of FS had those screen cut to fit the K-5 so you don't do that yourself it also comes with a set of shims and installation tools, hence the premium price.
Excellent... that's what I thought, but the threads here were older so the names most likely changed on FS.

12-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
You're not dense. I, too, was looking but am not sure what to get. I bought a split screen from Terence camera in Hong Kong and fitted it to my K-7 yesterday. It's a bit dark with slower lenses so I'm interested in the Canon screen.
For your K-7, look here: Focusing Screen

The bottom three S-Type options are the EE-S Canon ones... pick which markings you want (I went with the AF Area)...
12-17-2012, 02:45 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Tell me, with these replacement screens, which I presume have a split-image rangefinder in the center of the screen, is the spot metering capability of the K5 lost? I have a KatzEye for my K10 which, while it is wonderful with fast lenses - f1.4 and f1.2 - the spot meter is pretty wonky. Not too bad for someone who "grew up" with center-weighted metering, but....

Naturally the K10 screen won't fit the K5.
12-17-2012, 02:51 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Tell me, with these replacement screens, which I presume have a split-image rangefinder in the center of the screen, is the spot metering capability of the K5 lost? I have a KatzEye for my K10 which, while it is wonderful with fast lenses - f1.4 and f1.2 - the spot meter is pretty wonky. Not too bad for someone who "grew up" with center-weighted metering, but....

The S Type doesn't have the split, so doesn't lose spot metering.

12-17-2012, 02:53 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote

The S-type screen isn't split image. I have heard that other models that are available as split screens will affect spot metering adversely.
12-17-2012, 02:57 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Can you still AF with an S-type screen installed? I've been looking at replacing the stock one with a clear one for a while, but I dunno if I can be bothered switching the two out all the time if I'll lose AF in the process of replacing it :/

That website seems to imply the S-type loses AF, but the A-type keeps it. Not sure what the difference is.
12-17-2012, 03:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Mareket Quote
Can you still AF with an S-type screen installed? I've been looking at replacing the stock one with a clear one for a while, but I dunno if I can be bothered switching the two out all the time if I'll lose AF in the process of replacing it :/

That website seems to imply the S-type loses AF, but the A-type keeps it. Not sure what the difference is.
The comparison page: Focusing Screen

Seems to indicate it works with both types...
12-17-2012, 04:22 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by lammie200 Quote
The S-type screen isn't split image. I have heard that other models that are available as split screens will affect spot metering adversely.
Hi

As I understand it the screen has no role to play in the metering process, metering takes place in a different part of the camera.

Greetings
12-17-2012, 04:37 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by klkitchens Quote
The comparison page: Focusing Screen

Seems to indicate it works with both types...
It's confuzzling me... the "AF standard matte *AF lens uses" bit on the A-type screen section threw me.
12-17-2012, 04:40 PM   #13
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Schraubstock Quote
Hi

As I understand it the screen has no role to play in the metering process, metering takes place in a different part of the camera.

Greetings
The light meter is above the screen, so it is affected by the screen. Some people report better accuracy with stop down metering with a Canon screen than an original screen because the Canon screen has a linear response. The stock screen is made to be as bright as possible at smaller apertures, so the meter sees more light than is really there. A split prism will affect spot metering, but matrix and center weighted will be fine.

They don't affect auto focus at all though, the AF sensor is under the mirror.
12-17-2012, 09:00 PM - 1 Like   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by p38arover Quote
I installed the FS S screens in both of of my K5s. They are noticeably darker than the standard screen with f2.8 lenses installed. This is no surprise, as optimizing the screen for wider apertures naturally leads to it being darker at less wide apertures. I have not yet compared it using a lens slower than f2.8 as I have only one or two of those and I do not use them often.

However, the S screen definitely shows the true focus point and DOF with fast lenses where the standard screen does not.

If you MF with fast lenses a lot, or even AF with fast lenses a lot, you will like this screen. If you shoot with slower lenses, I suspect that you will not like how dark it is.

Ray
12-18-2012, 02:58 AM   #15
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I got the S-type for my K-7 from FS, and like others said it gives an awesome rendition of the true DoF (and really helps MF) with fast lenses, at the price of a darker view with slower lenses.

One important note though, which I assume is valid for the K-5 as well:
The S-type screen is a little thicker than the K-7's original screen. Therefore, the K-7 needs a small "operation" to make it work accurately: You must remove the metal frame underneath the screen, and replace it with a (thinner) plastic shim that has the same shape. You must ask for this shim explicitly from FS. It's not theregular rectangular shims that are normally included in the package. The shim I'm talking about is shaped specifically like the metal frame so it slides smoothly in its place.

Take a look here:
--Pentax K5 K7 K30 focusing screen front focusing revise guide--