Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-05-2013, 06:04 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
have yet for any repair in the past couple of years to not go on back order. Generally my stuff has returned in about 6-8 weeks. But as stated, CRIS is not usually the slow end of the timeline, its mostly the waiting for parts from Pentax...

01-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #17

Original Poster
They finally got the parts in! Status is in repair. Thank you God!
01-13-2013, 08:20 AM   #18

Original Poster
Update on repair

Just wanted to give an update on my K5 repair. Here is the sequence...

Received 12/10/2012
In Repair 12/11/2012
Parts Hold 12/13/2012
Parts Hold Back Order 12/18/2012
In Repair 1/4/2013
Quality Assurance 1/9/2013
Repair Completed 1/10/2013
Ship 1/10/2013

They actually shipped it out to me on the 11th and it is due for delivery this friday the 18th. So over one month to get my camera fixed under warranty. So much for the quick turn around they state on the CRIS website. It will be worth it if the camera is working right now. I will update when I receive it. Here is what they did...

Repair Performed: WARRANTY
REPLACED MAIN PCB/FPC
REPLACED MIRROR BOX MOTOR
REPAIRED FLASH ASSEMBLY
UPDATED FIRMWARE
RESET ALL
CLEANED AND CHECKED TO MANUFACTURER'S SPECIFICATIONS
01-13-2013, 10:34 AM   #19
Veteran Member

I'd say 6 days to repair is pretty quick. It's not their fault it took so long for the parts to arrive, nor is it reasonable to expect them to maintain an inventory of parts that might sit for months collecting dust. Inventory turnover is a key component to profitability, and profitability is a key component to operating a business.

01-13-2013, 11:04 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
I'd say 6 days to repair is pretty quick. It's not their fault it took so long for the parts to arrive, nor is it reasonable to expect them to maintain an inventory of parts that might sit for months collecting dust. Inventory turnover is a key component to profitability, and profitability is a key component to operating a business.
Not sure I agree with you. While I wasn't blaming anyone I find it frustrating to send my 5 month old camera in for a warranty repair and then wait so long to get it back. It seems the parts they replaced should be pretty common as this repair has been done a lot in the past. The parts are collecting dust where they go them from, why not collect dust where the actually do the repair? It would also be nice if they could have shipped it out using a faster service as I paid for the shipping to get it there and it is was repaired under warranty. Thats the way I would do business.
01-15-2013, 08:29 AM   #21
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
In fairness I don't think 'repair flash assembly' is common for mirror flop.
It wasn't replaced on mine but my AF module was updated , seem repair shops for pentax do a full service and restore any failed/failing parts .
In my case it was photopoia in the UK, they did an OK job beside shafting the AF calibration requiring a re-visit (now that's frustrating)

What part was on backorder?
01-15-2013, 09:52 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MPrince Quote
I think it is very reasonable to expect the warranty shop to maintain an inventory of parts. It is Pentax' fault though. Subcontracting things out does not absolve Pentax of responsibility. Pentax' contract with CRIS should make allowances for parts.

As a Pentax customer, I don't really care whether warranty work is done at Pentax USA offices, at CRIS, or sends my camera to Japan or Vietnam (as long as it's done quickly and at their expense). All I care about is the turnaround time and quality of the work.

01-15-2013, 10:03 AM   #23

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by awaldram Quote
In fairness I don't think 'repair flash assembly' is common for mirror flop.
It wasn't replaced on mine but my AF module was updated , seem repair shops for pentax do a full service and restore any failed/failing parts .
In my case it was photopoia in the UK, they did an OK job beside shafting the AF calibration requiring a re-visit (now that's frustrating)

What part was on backorder?
I'm not sure what parts were on back order. They never said. The flash problem had nothing to do with the mirror problem. Some times the flash would not pop up when I pressed the button. I had to pull it up. I don't think they changed any parts for the flash, they probably just adjusted it.
01-16-2013, 06:40 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Mirror Flop problem reported in December 2012??? I thought Pentax - Ricoh had solved this problem (major quality issues with Pentax - Hoya K-5s).
Can some one please clarify this, as I bought my new K-5 in December end, after being reassured that the Mirror Flop problem has been rectified by Pentax - Ricoh. Manufacturing Date is August 2012, and the name plate shows Pentax - Ricoh.