Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-20-2012, 09:34 AM   #1

Sent K5 to C.R.I.S. to repair mirror flop. Just wondering...

Wondering about how long it will take to get back? It has been there for 2 weeks now and went from parts hold to parts hold back order. I only had the camera for 5 months and then started to have problems with the mirror and some lock ups. Wondering also if anyone had the repair and then experienced the same problem again? I do have a K01 that I have been using in the mean time but I miss the optical view finder!

Thanks

12-20-2012, 09:45 AM   #2
Pentaxian

It all depends on getting the parts -- who knows when? CRIS won't take long for their part, in general.
12-20-2012, 10:05 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had similar issue repaired over a year ago. They did not have the parts, a week after I sent it in, took another 2 weeks to fix it. So about 3 weeks and a few days to have it back in my hands. No recurrence so far.
12-20-2012, 10:08 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by psychdoc Quote
I had similar issue repaired over a year ago. They did not have the parts, a week after I sent it in, took another 2 weeks to fix it. So about 3 weeks and a few days to have it back in my hands. No recurrence so far.
Thanks. Thats the response I was hoping for.

12-21-2012, 01:26 PM   #5

I sent mine in more than a year ago. Repairs took about two weeks and the camera has been perfect since then.
12-21-2012, 03:05 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by toooldtocare Quote
I sent mine in more than a year ago. Repairs took about two weeks and the camera has been perfect since then.
Thanks!
12-21-2012, 07:23 PM   #7

Photos: Gallery
It took about two weeks for mine to return from Arizona... Mirror Flops have not been an issue since it returned.
12-21-2012, 08:18 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks, thats good news.

01-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #9

Original Poster
Just an update. I haven't heard from C.R.I.S. so I e mailed them and got this response. They ordered parts for it on Dec 11th. Why so long to get parts? This is a warranty fix. I am a little bummed.

Submitter's Message : We still have not received an ETA from the factory.

We apologize for any inconvenience and appreciate your patience.

Camera Repair by CRIS Camera Services: Digital Camera Repair: Canon, Fuji, Nikon, Pentax, Ricoh, Sigma
01-03-2013, 01:57 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
There probably have been a few weather related problems recently in the area that they get their parts from, things like earthquakes, monsoons. It tends to postpone production on electronic parts for a while when things like that happen. Pentax has to wait unfortunately. I think people take it for granted that this stuff is just automatically available but if you read the weather reports for the places where most camera parts these days they're getting socked by Mama Nature with some frequency. Delays in getting parts are pretty much inevitable I would think and there's nothing that they can do but put the order in and wait really...
01-03-2013, 03:32 PM   #11

Original Poster
Could be but still disappointing. You would think they would have parts more available than that though. I guess this comes with the territory. Pentax.
01-03-2013, 03:38 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Was about 4 weeks for mine.
01-03-2013, 04:34 PM   #13

Original Poster
I guess I shouldn't complain. I love the camera, just miss it! Thanks for the replies. By the way on a side note Steve... Love your Astrophotography! How do you compare the K5IIs with the K5? Overall.

Thanks, Dom
01-04-2013, 09:50 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by djrocks66 Quote
I guess I shouldn't complain. I love the camera, just miss it! Thanks for the replies. By the way on a side note Steve... Love your Astrophotography! How do you compare the K5IIs with the K5? Overall.

Thanks, Dom
Are you asking about for Astrophotography? I've had a couple chances but none outside of teh city with good viewing conditions. Its been rather poopy here recently, and when it is crystal clear its -30C outside and the telescope burns to the touch lol. I'm hoping sometime soon I'll be able to compare the K5IIs in the astrophotography area.

As a whole I do enjoy it a bit more. I found ...with my K5 at least, almost all my lenses were dialed to -10 focus adjustment. I never felt 100% comfortable with it. And always second guessed if it was going to be tack sharp. I did send it in recently and bought the K5IIs and now use the K5 as a backup. There are changes not mentioned that I like in the II/IIs memory cards come out really nice, I always felt I'd rip a sd card in half pulling it out of my K5. Live view seems snappier on focusing, thou I don't know use it enough to judge. Low light focusing is awesome. I've taken photos in the dark of the telescope with little lighting in the dark and its been just fine.

I've not run into any moire issues to mention. The only time I was really able to induce it was taking a picture of the lcd monitor for the computer, and even then only one of 8 had it. you really had to have the distance and angle to make the pixels on the monitor show up in odd patterns.

I'm happy with the K5IIs. If your not having focus issues I'd keep with the K5. I'd have bought a K5IIs without a IR filter if they offered it. HINT HINT Pentax.
01-05-2013, 05:19 AM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply, I too have to dial in -10 to most lenses. I was thinking about picking up the K5IIs because it was taking so long to fix my K5 but I picked up the K-01, being that it was so cheap, to hold me over. It's actually a great little camera. I do miss the viewfinder though. Thanks again.

Dom