Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2772 Likes Search this Thread
04-11-2016, 11:40 AM - 3 Likes   #1981
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
A few shots from a short detour through Yellowstone in 2014. All taken with my Tamron 70-100 F2.8. Mammoth Hot Springs. Cross posted form another thread.

04-11-2016, 11:56 PM - 3 Likes   #1982
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice shots gaweidert ! Number two is fantastic !

Click on the photos for details...

3. Pin up for Otis

04-12-2016, 05:56 AM   #1983
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I never got past #3 FS...Otis froze it on my screen and demanded I make it my front page background. I'm certain the rest are excellent and I will try to catch them all later.
Otis says that shot is proof that squirrels do guard bird feeders to make certain the little birdies are safe while eating.

Nothing lately from my K5IIs.....been too busy to do much shooting. I can tell you what you have missed......a dove or a squirrel!

Kind of crazy...I am getting an $1800. K1 to shoot a damn squirrel or another dove! Makes perfect sense if you are insane...and of course, I am!

Regards!
04-12-2016, 08:29 AM   #1984
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote

Click on the photos for details...

3. Pin up for Otis

Terrific squirrel, among other photos, FS!

---------- Post added 04-12-16 at 11:32 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I never got past #3 FS...Otis froze it on my screen and demanded I make it my front page background. I'm certain the rest are excellent and I will try to catch them all later.
Otis says that shot is proof that squirrels do guard bird feeders to make certain the little birdies are safe while eating.

Nothing lately from my K5IIs.....been too busy to do much shooting. I can tell you what you have missed......a dove or a squirrel!

Kind of crazy...I am getting an $1800. K1 to shoot a damn squirrel or another dove! Makes perfect sense if you are insane...and of course, I am!

Regards!
In connection with your K5 II s disaster and If it's any consolation, Rupert, owing to a combination of inattention and over aggressiveness with a screen cleaning fluid, I think I may have destroyed my nice laptop (the one with a retina screen, all my photos & photo processing software). Feeling very foolish.

04-12-2016, 03:00 PM   #1985
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you. Mammoth Hot Springs offers a lot of great angles.. And it changes from year to year too. The Tamron 70-200 is a great deal for the money. I have enjoyed your photographs too. I plan on being out to Yellowstone again next month if all works out as planned. I have to go to Bismarck, North Dakota next month so I will just drive another 8 or so hours to get to Yellowstone. I have been there 5 times and still haven't driven all the main roads in the park.
04-12-2016, 05:39 PM   #1986
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
In connection with your K5 II s disaster and If it's any consolation, Rupert, owing to a combination of inattention and over aggressiveness with a screen cleaning fluid, I think I may have destroyed my nice laptop (the one with a retina screen, all my photos & photo processing software).
Feeling very foolish.
I certainly hope not, that would be a disaster. Sometimes we do dumb things or we don't think before we act. It's the bad part of being human. We recover, get past it.......until the next time...there seems to always be a next time.

Regards & Best wishes for good luck.
04-13-2016, 12:11 AM   #1987
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you Rupert, jva59 and gaweidert !

QuoteOriginally posted by gaweidert Quote
I plan on being out to Yellowstone again next month if all works out as planned.
Yellowstone is so big. Are you hiking there ?

owing to a combination of inattention and over aggressiveness with a screen cleaning fluid, I think I may have destroyed my nice laptop (the one with a retina screen, all my photos & photo processing software).
With a PC this couldn't happen

04-13-2016, 04:49 AM   #1988
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yellowstone is so big. Are you hiking there ?
No long hikes for me. Getting too old for that. Plus I have other things to tend to along the way so it won't be a long visit.
04-13-2016, 05:38 AM   #1989
Veteran Member

Otis accepted this one for breakfast gravy.......at ISO 1600 it barely passed his approval.

He rejected this one at ISO 12,800 and said the raccoons might take it.

Regards!
04-13-2016, 07:21 AM   #1990
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I certainly hope not, that would be a disaster. Sometimes we do dumb things or we don't think before we act. It's the bad part of being human. We recover, get past it.......until the next time...there seems to always be a next time.

Regards & Best wishes for good luck.
Thanks, Rupert! Data can almost certainly be saved, but it looks like it's time for a new computer. Ah well.

Anyway, excellent birds.
04-13-2016, 08:44 AM   #1991
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

He rejected this one at ISO 12,800 and said the raccoons might take it.
Otis has always right ! It reminds me a 400 ISO shot of my K10D
04-13-2016, 09:38 AM   #1992
Veteran Member

Otis has always right ! It reminds me a 400 ISO shot of my K10D
Yep, even the raccoons turned it down but a possum came along and snapped it up!

Regards!
04-15-2016, 05:44 AM   #1993
Veteran Member

I'm hanging in with my crippled K5IIS but it is getting worse. The EXIF is now inaccurate and other strange happenings are occurring. Some shots take, others are all fuzzy and messed up. I need the K1 so I can send it in for possible repair.

EXIF says shot at 120mm...but it was @ 500mm. Exif also said it was at f0? Otis rejected it for gravy...said if the label is not accurate, it could be a trick "toxic" bird.

Regards!
04-16-2016, 06:55 AM   #1994
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
White throated kingfisher.
On Sigma 50-500

04-16-2016, 04:00 PM   #1995
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I went to my son's house today to drop off a riding lawn mower. He lives up on Chamont Bay near Watertown, NY. There is an osprey nest on one of the power line poles on his property. After work, I let my daughter in law play with my K3 and Pentax 150-450 lens. I caught the female as she flew over checking us out. This is with my K5-IIs and new Sigma 300mm f2.8 lens. This was the first outside shots with the lens and you can color me very happy.

The second shot is my DIL giving the long zoom a tryout. She loved using it. Since they moved to this properly she is wanting to do more nature photography. I may have planted a very expensive seed today.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo