Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-06-2015, 09:38 AM   #901
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice shot of a lovely girl! Never did see any link to Flickr?

Got to be quick to snap with the Bigma to get a shot at 1/125 handheld, but if you want to keep the noise down and the detail up, you have to learn to do it. These are jittery birds, they move fast, you have to snap even faster, and hope you can get a few decent shots.

Another version....

Regards!

Last edited by Rupert; 05-06-2015 at 10:29 AM.
05-06-2015, 11:34 AM   #902
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The first one is fantastic !
05-06-2015, 12:04 PM   #903
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
The first one is fantastic !
Thanks FS....but as Otis pointed out, it doesn't hold up to a handsome squirrel in a tree!

A young Army Squirrel on Lookout Post for raptors cruising the area.

Regards!
05-07-2015, 07:22 AM   #904
Loyal Site Supporter

Otis may not be available for a few days, he got all tuckered out yesterday shelling pecans. He ate his weight in them, and was so exhausted he just collapsed.

I hope he doesn't explode?
View Picture EXIF
Name:  Tired Otis.jpg
Views: 285
Size:  137.2 KB

Regards!

05-07-2015, 07:44 AM   #905
Pentaxian

Winter can come at any time !
05-07-2015, 09:26 AM   #906
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Winter can come at any time !
Yes it can...isn't it handy!

Regards!
05-07-2015, 04:50 PM   #907

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Otis may not be available for a few days, he got all tuckered out yesterday shelling pecans. He ate his weight in them, and was so exhausted he just collapsed.

I hope he doesn't explode?

Regards!

Too bad. Looks like he's in no shape to gaze upon this lovely lass.

05-08-2015, 05:14 AM   #908
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by th1952 Quote
Too bad. Looks like he's in no shape to gaze upon this lovely lass.
Well, that's what he gets for being a gluttonous pig. He got fat this past winter, then lost weight when it warmed up and he got more active....but now it looks like he will get fat again. How can you lead a Giant Army if you look like a pig and can't even climb trees?

Birdies are losing their fear of an immobile Otis, this one is stealing corn meant for squirrels.

Regards!

05-08-2015, 05:35 PM   #909
Site Supporter

A Walk in the Park

Here are a few photos from a walk in the park this week. They were all taken with a K-5IIs - HD DA 55-300mm f/4-5.8 ED WR combination. I hope you enjoy.

This first shot is no beauty, but the perspective is what makes it unique. It is an overhead shot of an alligator's head. Just his snout and eyes are out of the water, and his head is approximately 20-24" long, making the gator about 13-14' long. I know there are some bad shadows, but he looked so comfortable I didn't have the heart to ask him to move,

A little better photo of the gator - but not as unique an angle.

This is a blue dasher dragonfly taken from about 20 feet away. If you look at the detail in the wing, I think it is pretty hard to complain about the 55-300's IQ - particularly for the price.

Again, I just like the perspective of this photo - a great egret looking right at me.

Finally, a yellow-crowned night heron up in a tree. I was walking back to the car and saw this fellow out of the corner of my eye. I had seen him fly in, but lost him as he lit in the trees. I was lucky to see him and catch the shot.

05-09-2015, 08:44 AM   #910
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AggieDad Quote
Finally, a yellow-crowned night heron up in a tree. I was walking back to the car and saw this fellow out of the corner of my eye. I had seen him fly in, but lost him as he lit in the trees. I was lucky to see him and catch the shot.
Nice catches.....love the gator shots and the long neck egret!

For a couple of years we had a few families of Yellow Crowned Night Herons nest here in our yard. It was exciting, and they soon got used to me snapping shots. When they young hatched and started to leave the nest they would come down on my cedar fence and they were so used o me I could reach out and touch them if I so desired.

Lots of shots here.....Some decent , some just "what I could get".
BIG BIRDS 2005 Photo Gallery by James Williams at pbase.com
BIG BIRDS 2008 Photo Gallery by James Williams at pbase.com
Chicks 2006 Photo Gallery by James Williams at pbase.com
BIG BIRDS 2005 Photo Gallery by James Williams at pbase.com
BIG BIRDS 2006 Photo Gallery by James Williams at pbase.com
BIG BIRDS 2007 Photo Gallery by James Williams at pbase.com

It was fun times, I really enjoyed their presence and an opportunity to observe them and get a few shots.

Once Otis moved in with his Giant Army of Squirrels, they stopped coming. All those rowdy drunken squirrels making noise and singing filthy squirrel songs all through the nights drove them to better locations. I'd leave myself if I could.

Regards!
05-09-2015, 02:00 PM   #911
Site Supporter

Rupert,

Those were some fine shots of the herons. I particularly liked the chick/juvenile shots. I have seen very few of them myself.

With multiple night herons in your yard, I have to ask what part of Texas you are from. I am going to take a wild guess and it is not Lubbock - the Gulf Coast perhaps?
05-09-2015, 02:23 PM   #912
Loyal Site Supporter

With multiple night herons in your yard, I have to ask what part of Texas you are from. I am going to take a wild guess and it is not Lubbock - the Gulf Coast perhaps?
Yes, they were so interesting! They were here for almost 3 months at a time and I loved watching them progress from chicks to juvenile adults. I'm in N Central Texas...about 35 miles west of Ft Worth. We have a lake here and several small streams/ponds nearby which is perfect for Night Herons.

The first year they were here both the parents took turns tending the nest and hunting. They never left the nest unattended. The last year the female had a deadbeat mate that refused to help out much and only two of the three chicks survived. One was killed by a big rat snake while the mom was out hunting for food and the daddy left the nest he should have been watching. It was late at night and I heard the chicks squealing, got out a big light and could see up in the tree that a snake was in the nest. He fell out with one of the chicks and we tried to save the chick...Mrs Rupert even pulled the snakes jaws open while I held him, but it was too late.

The other two survived and lived to eventually fly away. It was an exciting time around here!

Regards!

BTW: My Dad was an Aggie, went on to be a Bird Col in the US Army and a highly decorated WWII Vet. My youngest son followed his footsteps....Aggie ..Class of '88...now retired Col.....after 22 years in the US Army.
I know a million Aggie jokes...love them all! The best one of all....

What do you call an Aggie a year after graduation?

The Boss!
05-09-2015, 02:44 PM   #913
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
The last year the female had a deadbeat mate that refused to help out much and only two of the three chicks survived.
What a shame! Why do women always leave the good men for the flashy ones who turn out to be deadbeats?

My daughter is the Aggie - but I have the season tickets.
05-09-2015, 08:23 PM   #914
Loyal Site Supporter

What a shame! Why do women always leave the good men for the flashy ones who turn out to be deadbeats?
Who knows? It is an age old question...like why do old men leave their long time mates for a younger woman they have nothing in common with?

Couldn't get a decent shot of this one....The Jpeg turned out better than the Raw.....It was a hurried shot, backlit and shot at an awkward angle through my window. If I had just 5 more seconds I could have got a nice shot.

This one is much better, but it's just an ordinary fence shot.

Regards!
05-10-2015, 08:32 AM - 1 Like   #915
Loyal Site Supporter

If you get your settings right, the K5IIs will give you decent results even on a cloudy morning with ISO 6400.

Of course, it's hard not to get a decent shot of a handsome squirrel!

Regards!