Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-02-2015, 04:22 PM   #1381
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Even ISO 2500 can get more detail and less noise good enough to make a difference. 1/200 can help a lot too when handheld at 500mm.

I think the K5IIS gives me the truest reds I have ever obtained with a Pentax camera. I'm very well pleased!

Otis says these reds make good spicy gravy too!

Regards!

09-02-2015, 07:46 PM   #1382
Site Supporter

Some shots with K5Iis and Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art... quite a pair.

09-02-2015, 07:50 PM   #1383
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
Some shots with K5Iis and Sigma 35mm f1.4 Art... quite a pair.
Wonderful pics Hatti... very nice light. I like the starburst of this lens. The second one is my favorite.
09-02-2015, 09:09 PM   #1384
Loyal Site Supporter

Lovely Cardinal Rupert.....hope some other posters show up with some nice shots like that one!

Regards!

09-03-2015, 12:24 AM   #1385
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thank you newmikey, hattifnatt and Rupert !

Lovely macros newmikey !

Nice shots hattifnatt ! Superb dynamic !

Nice little birds Rupert ! The reds are wonderful !

Click on the photos for details...

(for Otis' orphans )
09-03-2015, 12:38 AM   #1386
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Even ISO 2500 can get more detail and less noise good enough to make a difference. 1/200 can help a lot too when handheld at 500mm.

I think the K5IIS gives me the truest reds I have ever obtained with a Pentax camera. I'm very well pleased!

Otis says these reds make good spicy gravy too!

Regards!
The detail in the feathers is remarkable as is the sharpness here. At 500mm this really is remarkable. I've become less fond of the "Pentax red" over time as it tends to oversaturate quite easily and turn colors like pink or purple into an orange-brown tint. I tend to lower its intensity a bit in my raw workflow through the use of an appropriate color curve. In the end though, a raw file is like a blank canvas: you can make it do anything you want.

---------- Post added 09-03-15 at 09:41 AM ----------

"Dreamtree"
I've been passing this tree quite a number of times cycling through the Schoorl dunes. Either I had the wrong lens on me or the light wasn't right - the tree, badly mangled by the summer storm a few weeks ago, never made it to my harddrive.

Until today that is. The sun was setting to the left, over the Northsea and a few last bright orange rays hit the bark just so. The intense purple of the seasonal heather almost clashes with the bark. A few sunlit clouds drift overhead.

Technical: 3 exposures, merged and processed in digiKam. Orton effect courtesy of an ImageMagick script by the one and only Fred. Sharpening and noise reduction with NeatImage for Linux.

Mean exposure (of -2, 0 and +2):
Date and Time : 2015:09:02 19:54:02
Model : PENTAX K-5 II s
Exposure Mode : Auto bracket
Exposure Program : Aperture priority
Exposure Time : 1/500 s
FNumber : F5
Focal Length : 17.0 mm
ISO Speed Ratings : 400
Metering Mode : Multi-segment
White Balance : Auto

And this one was shot at the nearby beach with the sun just having disappeared below the horizon. The wet sand reflecting the clouds is what caught my eye.

---------- Post added 09-03-15 at 09:43 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Thank you newmikey, hattifnatt and Rupert !
Those last two again show these lovely dreamy OoF circles and the intensity of color as well as all of the different monochromatic variations really lend an extra punch!
09-03-2015, 02:03 AM   #1387
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Lovely Cardinal Rupert, and the Pentax red (I agree with Mikey, sometimes it is a bit too much), is something that I like.
The Canon I owned prior to the K5 favoured green, and would turn reds into more a brown, and blues into a turquoise.
It really overpowered everything else, but I suppose that this is a completely different kettle of fish...

Great shots Hatti,
Love the Second one!! but the first has an almost mystical appeal to it.

FS, as always, amazing shots, but that Strawberry is beautiful, and the bird is a really nice capture

Mikey, Love the dream tree.

A few more from Samos

Cheers

Leon

Last edited by Ravenspurn; 09-03-2015 at 04:32 AM. Reason: adding images
09-03-2015, 07:48 AM   #1388
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
Wonderful pics Hatti... very nice light. I like the starburst of this lens. The second one is my favorite.
QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Nice shots hattifnatt ! Superb dynamic !
Thank you both. Second one is my favorite from your latest bunch, Frederic.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ravenspurn Quote
Great shots Hatti, Love the Second one!! but the first has an almost mystical appeal to it.
Thanks. What church is that in the 3rd picture?

09-03-2015, 10:05 AM   #1389
Loyal Site Supporter

Beautiful shots FS...the last one is a treasure! Just perfect! However....Otis only commented that it would make some creamy gravy.

Love your Dream tree Mikey, very nicely shot and processed!

Nice shooting Leon! Otis sends his regrets that squirrels ate the heads off those statues. You know how they are, they'll eat anything.

It's a beautiful morning in the Woods of Otis!

Even nasty Jay birds seem to be enjoying the cooler air.

Regards!
09-03-2015, 10:53 AM   #1390
Pentaxian

Thank you all !

Nice merging for you tree ! Superb sunset Mikey !

Nice greek shots Leon ! You absolutely need a polarizing filter !

Superb shots Rupert ! That bokeh of the jay is wonderful ! A church glass !
09-03-2015, 12:58 PM   #1391
Site Supporter

Thanks FS and Rupert.
Great shots Rupert.

Hatti, this is the courtyard in a greek orthodox monestary located on Mt Kerkis in Samos, not exactly certain what it is called,

FS, I completely agree, I have one for the 49mm objective, but it is absolutely rubbish (Dörr), the ring is very slack, so I don't use it, I should actually throw it away...
I do have a Hoya linear filter attached to the Takumar 105mm, but I have tried it on the K5 with very sketchy results.
Have been looking at B&W Pro, but at €150-200 each, they are a little out of my current price range.
I have Kenko Pro1D UV and ND filters, and have been really impressed, but can only find the Kenko realpro here... (Suggestions?)

Cheers

Leon
09-03-2015, 07:11 PM   #1392
Site Supporter

How about a l'il splash of yellow?

Or maybe a nice, handsome Cooper's Hawk?

K-5IIs, SMC Pentax-DA 18-270 f3.5-6.3 ED SDM
09-03-2015, 07:52 PM   #1393
Loyal Site Supporter

FS- Noticing that #3 and #7 are also spectacular shots too.......How'd I miss those? Must have been daydreaming about handsome squirrel shots on this gorgeous day here today?

Regards!
09-04-2015, 12:15 AM   #1394
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ravenspurn Quote
FS, I completely agree, I have one for the 49mm objective, but it is absolutely rubbish (Dörr), the ring is very slack, so I don't use it, I should actually throw it away...
I do have a Hoya linear filter attached to the Takumar 105mm, but I have tried it on the K5 with very sketchy results.
Have been looking at B&W Pro, but at €150-200 each, they are a little out of my current price range.
I have Kenko Pro1D UV and ND filters, and have been really impressed, but can only find the Kenko realpro here... (Suggestions?)
The best for the bucks is Hoya Pro1D CPL. I have buyed the 77mm and use it on all my lenses with adapters
Don't know Hoya HD but I suppose that they are more expensive...

Thank you Rupert !
09-04-2015, 01:24 AM   #1395
Site Supporter

Really nice birds Dakight.
The Hawk is beautiful.

Thanks FS.
Kenko and Hoya are the same company (at least the same glass).

I have contacted both of the companies I use here in Sweden (Japanphoto and Cyberphoto), both say that they cannot get Pro1D filters from the suppliers, only the RealPro.
I just don't trust Ebay enough for filters...
So, I'll try to source a Kenko / Hoya Pro1D from a store elsewhere in Europe

Cheers

Leon