Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2772 Likes Search this Thread
03-18-2013, 07:55 AM   #316

Is there something wrong with the way I shoot?

This thread is something I look as a part of my learning curve.
Please feel free to give any kind of feedback. Many thanks in advance.
So here's the case: I can't seem to have the 'sharpness' in these pictures I took (I shot these in JPEGs ***).
I know it's not a macro lens, but still.. I hope my eyes (and expectations) are okay..
Any thoughts?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
03-18-2013, 09:27 AM   #317
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
flowers

Stooped over and shot these real quick with the 17-70 Pentax zoom in JPEG. Some minor editing is all. Sure is a versatile lens. These were in terrible diffused light but that seems to be ideal for shots like this.
Attached Images

03-18-2013, 09:31 AM   #318
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by k-play Quote
This thread is something I look as a part of my learning curve.
Please feel free to give any kind of feedback. Many thanks in advance.
So here's the case: I can't seem to have the 'sharpness' in these pictures I took (I shot these in JPEGs ***).
I know it's not a macro lens, but still.. I hope my eyes (and expectations) are okay..
Any thoughts?
Kplay- did you use spot focus? That's the first thing that comes to my mind. Also, if shooting hand held, you have to nail the focus right where you want it and squeeze off the shot like a sniper does a kill. I have a tough time stooping or kneeling and keeping still enough but if I get the shutter speed nice and high, it sure does help. Perhaps a bit underexposed....rather dark but otherwise a nice scene and bokeh. I see you used the same lens as I. Any focus issues with it otherwise or maybe just these?
03-19-2013, 06:33 AM - 2 Likes   #319

Thanks Richard-olypdd. You are now officially my first PentaxForums teacher. .
I didn't use spot metering, but I did use selected focus point (which I intended to be focused on the flower).
I tried to set the shutter speed high enough though..
Yes, it's not a great exposure. I just want to point out that lack of sharpness I got.
Surely there is a lot to learn and more experiments to do to get to know my camera better (it was a bit ambitious purchase.. )
But it will help a lot when people with more experience point out my incorrectness like you did. Thanks again for that.
Good to know that you are using the same zoom lens like mine (it means there's more to learn from you.. Yeah!)
Just hoping that my interest and skill in photography will grow more.

Regards,
Al

ps. I don't think there is a focus issue (so far) with my lens. Here's a picture I took a moment after the so-so flower. Any comments?
Not as spectacular as others have posted here though. But the color and contrast of images produced by this camera-lens combination is adequate for my taste.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
03-19-2013, 07:00 AM   #320

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by k-play Quote
Here's a picture I took a moment after the so-so flower. Any comments?
It's sharp enough for me to wince! Well done.
03-19-2013, 08:17 AM   #321

Thank you halfspin. Still learning here..
03-19-2013, 11:58 AM   #322
Veteran Member

Learning is most of the fun. I look at early shots and can't believe the dumb things I did, but that's how you learn. I am on the same journey, trying to learn and people on sites like this teach me a lot. I see a lot of keepers with the IIs. Your shots are beautifully composed. Keep checking that lens and see if it needs a service or replaced. It could be you're doing everything right and the lens isn't on board. Try another lens. Here's a couple I shot in BULB mode last night on tripod. Used the remote trigger.

Attached Images

03-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #323
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hi, Al. Two things determined the look of your photos:

1) Depth of field - The zone of focus is quite thin in your photos and is the main reason for the soft look of the images. A narrower aperture would have put more of the blossom in focus.

2) Exposure - ISO100,f4/,1/320s contributed to underexposure. I would have bumped the ISO higher since the latest K series cameras have minimal noise up to ISO1600. You will find this out for yourself when you get around to post-processing your images. This would have also allowed you to use a smaller aperture. One way to have overcome the flat lighting would have been to have used a touch of flash. Even the on-camera flash would have helped here.

Jack
03-19-2013, 08:36 PM   #324
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jbinpg Quote
Hi, Al. Two things determined the look of your photos:

1) Depth of field - The zone of focus is quite thin in your photos and is the main reason for the soft look of the images. A narrower aperture would have put more of the blossom in focus.

2) Exposure - ISO100,f4/,1/320s contributed to underexposure. I would have bumped the ISO higher since the latest K series cameras have minimal noise up to ISO1600. You will find this out for yourself when you get around to post-processing your images. This would have also allowed you to use a smaller aperture. One way to have overcome the flat lighting would have been to have used a touch of flash. Even the on-camera flash would have helped here.

Jack
That spider shot looks nice and sharp. Nice all the way around!
03-19-2013, 08:56 PM   #325
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Indeed. So we know what that camera/lens combo can do.
03-19-2013, 09:23 PM   #326
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A young Koala:

Pentax K5IIs - Sigma 100-300mm f/4 APO EX DG

Pentax K5IIs - Sigma 100-300mm f/4 APO EX DG
03-19-2013, 11:16 PM   #327

Pardon me for interrupting nice photographs being posted yet again.
Richard and Jack, you guys rock!
I often hear that Pentax users are nice guys. So far I am experiencing that first hand. .
Nice to know that there are people willingly share their thoughts, even in this advanced thread.
Thank you for your inputs and kind words, they are greatly appreciated (and surely will be practiced).

Regards,
Al
03-20-2013, 06:17 AM - 2 Likes   #328
Forum Member

A Few from Niagara Falls

K-5 IIs and the DA 18-55mm

http://www.martydrabicphotography.com/Nature/Niagara-Falls/i-mnRcMH9/0/X2/IMGP0356-X2.jpg

http://www.martydrabicphotography.com/Nature/Niagara-Falls/i-mkf22ks/0/XL/IMGP0352_hdr-XL.jpg
03-20-2013, 06:42 AM   #329

QuoteOriginally posted by martyd14 Quote
A Few from Niagara Falls
Very very nice shots! I wouldn't have imagined the kit lens could produce such nice images. I'm going to have to reconsider selling mine.
03-20-2013, 07:15 AM   #330
Forum Member

Very underrated lens. I love it for night photography. No chromatic aberration and very little lens flare. Not tack sharp but sharp enough and colors are always...well Pentax colors. Does have a problem with barrel distortion at 18mm and some light fall off too but will do until i can get that 15mm limited in my hands.