Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2772 Likes Search this Thread
07-09-2015, 04:55 PM   #1126
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Where is the photo? Otis is interested in most anything pertaining to the "artistic" world...even bugs. He's a sick little devil, but he is honest about it!

Here is one of his favorites. To be honest in the K5IIs thread, I shot it off my screen with the K5 and Bigma, as the exif will show....

He calls this artistic shot "The Evils of Weevils".
Attachment 274784

The original is much better....... IMGP5269.jpg=800.jpg photo - James Williams photos at pbase.com

That's enough bug filth for me, but if you have a shot, Otis is still interested!

Regards!
Uh.... the photo is there. If you're not seeing it I'm not sure why. I see it... a pair of Damselflies in all their naked glory.

07-09-2015, 10:37 PM   #1127

my first photo … K5iis/18-135
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 

Last edited by hsteeves; 07-09-2015 at 10:37 PM. Reason: addition.
07-09-2015, 11:41 PM   #1128
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hsteeves Quote
Not a bad start! but it just seems a bit oversatured, for my taste at least? what did you use for PP?
07-10-2015, 07:03 AM   #1129
Pentaxian

Nice. It is a tad over saturated, but I like it.

07-10-2015, 08:27 AM - 2 Likes   #1130
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Click on the photos for details...

07-10-2015, 08:32 AM   #1131
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
Uh.... the photo is there. If you're not seeing it I'm not sure why. I see it... a pair of Damselflies in all their naked glory.
Otis can't see it...it says "photo not available". Otis thinks you are taunting him......which is not a good idea. See what you can do to get it on here....or Otis may become unruly......no one wants that!
Name:  No Photo.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  3.4 KB

Congratulations!...and post many more here! We welcome new shooters. Feel free to join in the conversation too, it helps offset the few Ugly Posters that use this thread as a dumping ground.

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
Not a bad start! but it just seems a bit oversatured, for my taste at least? what did you use for PP?
I bet his settings are on vivid? If it was one of my Fuji shots, it would be "natural"! A little experimentation and he will find his desired result....and if it is vivid, I'm all for it,though I am like you....a little saturated for my taste, but we are indeed all different!

I tried to shoot some raccoons in the darkness last night without much success. Could not get AF to function in the darkness, and MF was just hit and miss...mostly miss by a mile.
I know what it takes......You need good light to focus, and that is not difficult to do....any good powerful flashlight will get you there....but Mrs Rupert refused to come out and hold one while I shot. She is no fan of my friendly raccoons.

Maybe I will get one of my girlfriends to come help me get some decent night shots?

This was all I got in near focus for all the mosquito bites I suffered while trying.

Best Regards!
07-10-2015, 10:34 AM   #1132
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

....but Mrs Rupert refused to come out and hold one while I shot. She is no fan of my friendly raccoons.
If Mrs Rupert refuses to second you, use a rope. Attach it to the camera. Go to the racoon and mark on the rope the distance. Come back to the camera and mesure the rope until the mark. Transpose the length on the lens and shoot. You have one chance of two million that the racoon is still there and hasn't moved.

Nice racoon shot !

07-10-2015, 11:59 AM   #1133
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Click on the photos for details..

All beautiful shots. My favorites are 1,2 and 5.
07-10-2015, 12:36 PM   #1134
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you th1952 !
07-10-2015, 02:51 PM   #1135

LoL! Nice call Frederic, note to self: put long piece of rope in camera bag for future late-hour wildlife and kayaking photo adventures.

Might work for portraits as well, I'll just ask the subject to hold it to the end of their noses. Now if I play it really safe with the focus setup and snap the shot while the rope is still attached, can I get image composition points for having leading lines?? hmmm .
07-10-2015, 03:37 PM   #1136
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Otis can't see it...it says "photo not available". Otis thinks you are taunting him......which is not a good idea. See what you can do to get it on here....or Otis may become unruly......no one wants that!
Attachment 274834

Congratulations!...and post many more here! We welcome new shooters. Feel free to join in the conversation too, it helps offset the few Ugly Posters that use this thread as a dumping ground.

I bet his settings are on vivid? If it was one of my Fuji shots, it would be "natural"! A little experimentation and he will find his desired result....and if it is vivid, I'm all for it,though I am like you....a little saturated for my taste, but we are indeed all different!

I tried to shoot some raccoons in the darkness last night without much success. Could not get AF to function in the darkness, and MF was just hit and miss...mostly miss by a mile.
I know what it takes......You need good light to focus, and that is not difficult to do....any good powerful flashlight will get you there....but Mrs Rupert refused to come out and hold one while I shot. She is no fan of my friendly raccoons.

Maybe I will get one of my girlfriends to come help me get some decent night shots?

This was all I got in near focus for all the mosquito bites I suffered while trying.

Best Regards!

I'll try again...
07-10-2015, 04:12 PM   #1137
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
You have one chance of two million that the racoon is still there and hasn't moved.
Wow FS! How can I lose with those odds! Of course, raccoons are tricky, and have hands like ours...if I see them practicing making a hangman's noose, I'm pulling out of there...real fast!

Love your birds, the magic lens shot, and of course those damn handsome squirrels!

I'll try again..
Looks like a winner to me! Fine shot!

I told my Mom that I sometimes wish I had been born as Otis Squirrel. She said she sometimes wishes I had been too.

This is the life!

Regards!
07-10-2015, 10:57 PM   #1138

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
3 shot Lightroom HDR, brought some highlights down in PS, didn't touch saturation out of the Lightroom HDR.
07-11-2015, 02:03 AM   #1139
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

3 shot Lightroom HDR, brought some highlights down in PS, didn't touch saturation out of the Lightroom HDR.
With HDR software you get unnatural results even if you don't boost the saturation. But that's up to you, if you like it that's fine. I tend to go for a more toned down look, and most of the time I use a single exposure and rely for the huge dynamic range of the K5IIs to bring out the details from shadows. It doesn't always work, though. I took this shot a few days ago, I exposed for the highlights and thought I'll get away with the shadows, but in the end the dynamic range of the scene was a bit too much even for K5IIs, so I went with the silhouette look:

07-11-2015, 10:05 AM   #1140
Veteran Member

I'll try again...
My sincere apology. I noticed your very fine shot of the dragonflies and commented accordingly in my last post here.

However.....Until it was forcefully brought to my attention this morning by Otis that your shot contained decadent and perverse "insect filth" I was unaware of the "artistic value" in your fine shot. Otis says it could be due to failing eyesight (though I still have 20/20 vision uncorrected) or it could be to my old age and failing mind, which is no doubt not as good as it once was. Or...it could be due to "speed viewing" which is sort of like speed reading, where you read an entire novel in six minutes and think you read it but really have no idea what it was all about?

Anyhow, Otis sends his best regards and thanks your for the artistic contribution to this thread, and hopes you will continue with your excellent work here!

Regards!
Rupert

Hattifnatt---Agree with your analysis and think it is sometimes better to get the result we actually see than the result we "want" to see. Pushing too hard can often bend reality too far...your shot was not guilty of that offense! Nice shot!

Last edited by Rupert; 07-11-2015 at 10:11 AM.