Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2768 Likes Search this Thread
10-09-2015, 07:29 AM   #1531
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Thanks FS! Otis says they make the creamiest gravy! For ham dishes he recommends red gravy......works well with possum too!

He says these are great with sweet potatoes.....???

Regards!

Last edited by Rupert; 10-09-2015 at 07:42 AM.
10-10-2015, 04:29 PM - 1 Like   #1532
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Superb shots !

Click on the photos for details...

10-11-2015, 10:11 AM - 1 Like   #1533
Veteran Member

Look at that brown gravy in #1......looks so delicious!

#6 is the outright winner here! Just spectacular! #2 & #7 are close behind as well as #12 which is superb. The rest are all excellent, as usual.

Don't care for the lamb chops, around here only the possums will eat lamb. Raccoons won't touch it ...and neither will I! We do love BBQ goat!

For your dining pleasure, Otis is now offering brown gravy in two sizes.....small meal or large gathering...he's got you covered! What a guy, that Otis...always thinking of others!

Regards!

Note: Few of the sample images from that lens look as good as your FS. Are you somehow cheating? I told Otis you were just far better than average for sure, but he is hoping you have found a way to cheat....you know how he loves a cheater!

Last edited by Rupert; 10-11-2015 at 10:18 AM.
10-11-2015, 09:07 PM   #1534
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
Look at that brown gravy in #1......looks so delicious!

#6 is the outright winner here! Just spectacular! #2 & #7 are close behind as well as #12 which is superb. The rest are all excellent, as usual.

Don't care for the lamb chops, around here only the possums will eat lamb. Raccoons won't touch it ...and neither will I! We do love BBQ goat!

For your dining pleasure, Otis is now offering brown gravy in two sizes.....small meal or large gathering...he's got you covered! What a guy, that Otis...always thinking of others!

Regards!

Note: Few of the sample images from that lens look as good as your FS. Are you somehow cheating? I told Otis you were just far better than average for sure, but he is hoping you have found a way to cheat....you know how he loves a cheater!
Agree with Rupert, FS. Beauties all, but my favorite is number 9, the solitary chapel. I've been suffering from catastrophic hay fever--my allergies are getting worse with age--but I did venture out with a my K 5 IIs today--it was just too lovely to stay in. Hope to post a few more soon.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
10-11-2015, 11:59 PM   #1535
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you Rupert !

Nice gravies

I have the "old" version of the 150-500 without os... so it's lighter. And yes I'm cheating ! I underexpose 1 to 2 Ev

QuoteOriginally posted by jva59 Quote
Agree with Rupert, FS. Beauties all, but my favorite is number 9, the solitary chapel. I've been suffering from catastrophic hay fever--my allergies are getting worse with age--but I did venture out with a my K 5 IIs today--it was just too lovely to stay in. Hope to post a few more soon.
Thank you ! It's getting colder at your place...
10-12-2015, 08:14 AM   #1536
Veteran Member

I've been suffering from catastrophic hay fever--my allergies are getting worse with age
Sorry to hear that...as an allergy sufferer I can relate well. I get 6-8 attacks a year and they can be totally debilitating for days. I did finally, after years of searching and many dozens of prescriptions that didn't work.......find a cure. At the first symptom of a coming attack I take 20mg of Prednisone...and if necessary another a few hours later. It works like a miracle! Nothing else has even come close.
Check with your Doc.....it is a steroid and over use is dangerous, which is why I only take it when I feel an attack coming on, one every 6-8 weeks or so, and then only the low dosage I described. Taken like this it is safe and effective.

Nice shot....I like the lighting, you can feel it!

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
I have the "old" version of the 150-500 without os... so it's lighter. And yes I'm cheating ! I underexpose 1 to 2 Ev

That's smart shooting....underexposing gets you better results with the K5 series. Otis says it is just "Big Brain" thinking and not genuine cheating. He wants to hear about some authentic cheating...like my "Cheater Branches".

FS....You aren't missing anything without the OS...the SR in the Pentax is just as good in my opinion.....no need for it in the lens. The HSM is better, but only in good light. In low light the Bigma lenses hunt like a bird dog. I ordered mine a box of Bigma Birddog Cookies on Amazon, hoping to slow it down, but it hunts just as before .....but with more energy!

Today is a National Holiday so squirrels won't do any posing. I had to start the day off with a common dove.....there are over a hundred on my cedar fence as I type this....one just landed on the Cheater Branch.

A little grainy, but I do love the bokeh!

Happy Columbus Day! Otis does remind that squirrels discovered America long before man even existed...and will be here long after man is gone!

Regards!
10-12-2015, 01:27 PM   #1537
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Sorry to hear that...as an allergy sufferer I can relate well. I get 6-8 attacks a year and they can be totally debilitating for days. I did finally, after years of searching and many dozens of prescriptions that didn't work.......find a cure. At the first symptom of a coming attack I take 20mg of Prednisone...and if necessary another a few hours later. It works like a miracle! Nothing else has even come close.
Check with your Doc.....it is a steroid and over use is dangerous, which is why I only take it when I feel an attack coming on, one every 6-8 weeks or so, and then only the low dosage I described. Taken like this it is safe and effective.

Nice shot....I like the lighting, you can feel it!

That's smart shooting....underexposing gets you better results with the K5 series. Otis says it is just "Big Brain" thinking and not genuine cheating. He wants to hear about some authentic cheating...like my "Cheater Branches".

FS....You aren't missing anything without the OS...the SR in the Pentax is just as good in my opinion.....no need for it in the lens. The HSM is better, but only in good light. In low light the Bigma lenses hunt like a bird dog. I ordered mine a box of Bigma Birddog Cookies on Amazon, hoping to slow it down, but it hunts just as before .....but with more energy!

Today is a National Holiday so squirrels won't do any posing. I had to start the day off with a common dove.....there are over a hundred on my cedar fence as I type this....one just landed on the Cheater Branch.

A little grainy, but I do love the bokeh!

Happy Columbus Day! Otis does remind that squirrels discovered America long before man even existed...and will be here long after man is gone!

Regards!
Thanks for the tip and the sympathy, Rupert. Much appreciated! I'll be seeing my doctor soon, and will mention Prednisone. The things that I've been taking are some help with the symptoms, but the struggle with a phantom menace in which my immune system has been locked for weeks now leaves me tired and rundown just like a real illness.

Enough complaining. Truly great bokeh in that last shot and, at least on my screen, no complaints about grain.

I set out yesterday with my longest lens (300 mm) in search of birds, but found only fellow human beings enjoying the spectacular Autumn weather--no bad thing. I'm going to include one photo not taken with my K 5 IIs (but rather a Sigma Merrill DP2), the veterinary hospital. If Otis gets too far out of line, perhaps you could make dark allusions about taking him there to be 'fixed'. I still chuckle over a joke upthread about his needing to see a taxidermist.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
SIGMA DP2 Merrill  Photo 
10-13-2015, 06:24 AM   #1538
Veteran Member

has been locked for weeks now leaves me tired and rundown just like a real illness.
Before I discovered Prednisone I went through this every few months, I know the feeling well.

Love those first three shots, and the processing. People shots are my favorites, and those are great!

Otis has his own Clinic in the Woods of Otis, run by Dr Louie Squirrel...who is also Lawyer Louie Squirrel......If his malpractice harms you then he will sue himself on your behalf!

Sorry you found no birds, they were all at my place!

A rare occurrence here in the dark woods.....I managed to get these two at 1/500 f13.

Catching the rays of sunlight.

Birds all come here for the bountiful treats!

Regards! ...Get well!
10-13-2015, 08:32 AM   #1539
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have also the Hunting Slow Motor I will try with butter cream cookies...

Nice bokehs !

Nice shots jva59 !
10-13-2015, 09:38 AM   #1540
Veteran Member

FS....It is a "natural hunter" and not much can be done to improve that. In good light it is not so much a problem.....Forget the cookies, it was a waste of time, although I ate the leftovers and they were pretty good!

I am working on solutions...this works well but only for close range shooting....

Name:  DSCF9595-600 Bigma.jpg
Views: 428
Size:  203.0 KB

I ordered some Night Vision goggles on Amazon and when I get them in I'll let you know how they work out.

Regards!
10-13-2015, 02:53 PM   #1541
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Superb shots !

Indeed superb shots, I'm not a sigma fan but you do good work with that 18-35. That restaurant, raw meat, I'd send it back and tell them to cook it properly Not into the new raw meat fad that is going on these days, having said that I am partial to a little sushi
10-14-2015, 05:32 AM   #1542
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FS....It is a "natural hunter" and not much can be done to improve that. In good light it is not so much a problem.....Forget the cookies, it was a waste of time, although I ate the leftovers and they were pretty good!
The cookies are not for the lens, but for me

I am working on solutions...this works well but only for close range shooting....
Oh you put a filter on your bigma, perhaps that's reason...

QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
Not into the new raw meat fad that is going on these days, having said that I am partial to a little sushi
It's not raw but rare

Cooked sushi ?!
10-14-2015, 08:54 AM   #1543
Pentaxian

Man! There are a lot of fascinating pictures in this thread! The sharpness of the K-5IIs is mind blowing!

I really want a K-5IIs, but they're going for insane money new & still pricey used. I wish I had bought one when I had the chance, last January. I could have gotten a new body for $500 from B&H.
10-14-2015, 09:06 AM   #1544
Veteran Member

It's not raw but rare
I'm not into raw meat or fish. Too many parasites and wormy things in raw meats for me!

Squirrels are very picky too...they like their nuts roasted. I'm not much into having my nuts roasted....

"Roasted nuts! Ain't this one a beauty! "

Delicious!

Regards!
10-14-2015, 01:48 PM   #1545
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Cooked sushi ?!
No not cooked, saying that i don't like rare meat, but i do like raw fish in sushi