Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2772 Likes Search this Thread
01-14-2016, 06:40 AM   #1786

Photos: Albums
Hi FS,

I tried the exposure bracketing, and it works with Jpeg, but not in RAW.
I put the camera drive into exposure bracketing mode (remote / direct), the rear display shows 3 / 5 exposures depending on the setup, yet it only takes a single image (and stores that single image on the SD card).
If I have the camera set to Jpeg or RAW+, it produces the 3 / 5 bracketed exposures no problem, though it's only the Jpegs that are bracketed, and not the RAW files.
Am I doing something wrong or missing a step? As far as I am aware, I have the latest firmware installed on the Camera.

And the Walnut is growing on me
Very nice!!

Cheers

Leon

01-14-2016, 06:42 AM - 1 Like   #1787
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Ravenspurn Quote
Hattifnatt, great shots, the 3rd pic of the path / road is great.
Thank you. That one is my favorite also

Couple more shots.

[COLOR="Silver"]
01-14-2016, 07:12 AM   #1788
Veteran Member
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
I will retire before his schedule will be applied
Nice shot !
Well, Otis says if you like being poor and destitute that's fine with him. He could have made you rich and famous, but if you are too lazy to keep his schedule...so be it.

Nice images of Otis Squirrel and not sure how woodpecker gravy is, but it's a great shot, love the puffed up dove.
Thanks Leon! Woodpecker gravy is very good...has sort of a "woody flavor".

Regards!
01-15-2016, 01:06 AM - 2 Likes   #1789
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I put the camera drive into exposure bracketing mode (remote / direct), the rear display shows 3 / 5 exposures depending on the setup, yet it only takes a single image (and stores that single image on the SD card).
What do you mean with remote / direct ? What is the bracketing amount ?
You cannot use bracketing and multi-exposure together...
Is in the Custom Settings Menu "One-Push Bracketing" on or off. Mine is on so I have to push only once else you must press the shutter until all exposures are done.

Nice shots Hatifnatt !

Click on the photos for details...

01-15-2016, 04:19 AM   #1790

Great shots Hattifnatt, love the second.
FS, what is that in picture number four? (looks maybe like a white wine in a glass) really cool.
Love the elephant and the cathedral, but all are fantastic.

Rupert, maybe suggest to Otis to include a nice white bordeaux with the woodpecker gravy?

FS, thanks for the explanation.
When I select the drive mode (the timer button), select exposure bracketing (either remote, or direct (at the camera)), setting the bracket value and use the remote option, when I pressed the button on the remote it was taking a single image, I was not aware that I had to press three times for three exposures.
I looked in the manual, but it was a little vague, it was mainly to do with HDR, and I think this is where I was getting confused.

I set the option to one push bracketing, though I did not realise that it would take one image for each exposure separate images.

The K3 II does it all in a single RAW file (albeit a very large PEF file), though this is mainly a convenience, that being said, this is not really an issue.
Considering most of the bracketed images I will be taking will be on a tripod with off camera flash, I don't see this being an issue
When walking over to an area and holding one of the speedlites myself to bounce the flash off the ceiling, the remote is an invaluable tool

Cheers, and thanks again.

Leon

Last edited by Ravenspurn; 01-15-2016 at 04:35 AM.
01-15-2016, 04:34 AM   #1791
Veteran Member

I guess I'm unclear what is happening. I use bracketing almost all the time and I set it as you've described. I use an app on my Android phone for remote control and a single push of the button fires off the appropriate number of exposures, usually 3. It produces 3 separate images at the specified exposure interval. I shoot exclusively in RAW but I don't see how that would make any difference. In-camera HDR and Multiexposure will generate single images from multiple exposures but that is not the same as bracketing.

*Edit* Do you have "Extended Bracketing" turned on? If you do, that's only available for Jpeg format. I'm not sure what it does, but it only works in jpeg. Regular bracketing works with any file format.

Last edited by dakight; 01-15-2016 at 04:41 AM.
01-15-2016, 04:50 AM   #1792

Hi dakight,

When using the K3 II, when selecting exposure bracketing, it would take the images and store these as a single RAW file containing the three (or five) separate images,
Whilst this is a great convenience, I have no issues rummaging around 2-300 images to find the exposure I am looking for as the base image to layer it, as I said, this is great for convenience.

I tried this with the K5 IIs.
When using the bracketing feature in jpeg mode, it would take three or five images depending on what was selected.
When using the bracketing feature in RAW mode, it was only opening the shutter once, I was not aware that I had to either open the shutter multiple times, or specifically set one push in the menu.

*Edit* Yes, Extended bracketing is turned on.

Basically user error

Cheers

Leon

Last edited by Ravenspurn; 01-15-2016 at 06:18 AM.
01-15-2016, 05:54 AM   #1793
Veteran Member

Glad you got it sorted out.
01-15-2016, 06:19 AM   #1794
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by fs999 Quote
Nice shots Hatifnatt !
Great shots Hattifnatt, love the second.
Thank you both.
01-15-2016, 08:19 AM   #1795
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

FS, what is that in picture number four? (looks maybe like a white wine in a glass) really cool.
Thank you ! Yes, late harvest.

When I select the drive mode (the timer button), select exposure bracketing (either remote, or direct (at the camera)), setting the bracket value and use the remote option, when I pressed the button on the remote it was taking a single image, I was not aware that I had to press three times for three exposures
If you use the remote controler, you have to set the drive mode to Remote Continuous Shooting first, then it will take the exposures with one press of the button, as stated page 139...
01-17-2016, 04:55 AM - 1 Like   #1796
Veteran Member

Desert Globemallow

Shades of Purple

K-5IIs, Tamron 90mm f2.8 SP DI Macro
01-17-2016, 06:44 AM   #1797
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
Desert Globemallow
Those are a couple of great shots! Just gorgeous!

FS.....I really like that series, the spinning wheel was wonderful ...the elephant was my favorite...dump the damn moon shots, you are wasting card space on them. Otis says he has seen the moon millions of times and lost interest when he found it is not made of cheese after all.

The buttons were also very interesting......overall a very fine set of shots!

I hope you have a file where you are saving these? Otis says it is not his responsibility to save them for you, and as poor as you are (according to Otis?) he would love to see you win his prize sometime in 2016 for the most "Otis Awards".

I don't keep track either, so when Otis calls for the proof, people need to have it on hand. Since I have ZERO Otis Awards....I'm not much interested anyhow.

Regards!
01-17-2016, 09:09 AM   #1798
Veteran Member

Thanks Rupert... and Otis!... or is it Otis and Rupert? Who gets top billing here?... or maybe it's just Otis and he doesn't like to share the limelight. Please advise. I don't want to breach protocol.
01-17-2016, 06:20 PM   #1799
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dakight Quote
Who gets top billing here?
I'm afraid it is Otis that always gets top billing. It's in his contract, along with a lot of other things I have agreed to that I wish I hadn't.

Regards!

Here is a back shot I got late today.....sure would make some smooth gravy!
As it gets cooler around here, more doves come to the cedar fence twice a day....I counted 132 this morning when it was 29F. Sure would make a lot of gravy!

01-18-2016, 01:18 AM   #1800
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you Rupert !

QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
...dump the damn moon shots, you are wasting card space on them. Otis says he has seen the moon millions of times and lost interest when he found it is not made of cheese after all.
But the moon is full of bird gravy !
QuoteOriginally posted by Rupert Quote
I hope you have a file where you are saving these? Otis says it is not his responsibility to save them for you, and as poor as you are (according to Otis?) he would love to see you win his prize sometime in 2016 for the most "Otis Awards".
If Otis wants me to keep them safe, they would have to be unique... Like Numbered and Otis' fingerprints on them or so

Nice looking dove !