Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2768 Likes Search this Thread
09-16-2018, 12:57 PM   #2311
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
A cloudy, cold and rainy day at the 40th Annual Cobra Motors Barbecue in Oso, Washington.

Pentax K5IIs, Sigma 28mm f2.8 Mini Wide.

I know you know your cars and that sure doesn't look like a Cobra to me.

09-16-2018, 01:02 PM - 1 Like   #2312
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The predicted seeing for last night was to be no better than fair, but I set up my Tasco 60mm f/12 refractor anyway, and discovered things to be rather more like good, instead.

I observed Venus, Jupiter, the Moon, Saturn and Mars, not being disappointed in any views except Mars. The dust storms which have obscured the surface for so much of this apparition have made detail nearly undetectable at this aperture.

Still, a well-spent hour or so, in my estimation.

The Towa-made Tasco was a road find from my time at Caltrans.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
09-16-2018, 01:15 PM   #2313
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hattifnatt Quote
Couple more shots with the K5IIs from Mariero, Norway.

Were you using an ND filter?
09-16-2018, 01:39 PM   #2314
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
I know you know your cars and that sure doesn't look like a Cobra to me.
I never said it was.

It is a 1971 Chevrolet Camaro Z28, and belonged to one of the guests.

Cobra Motors is the name of the business that hosts the annual barbecue. I have attended the last three meets, and the only Cobra I have ever seen there (actually a Cobra kit car, not a real AC Cobra) belongs to the owner and it is in the shop, in pieces, undergoing a long term restoration.

This Mustang is also owned by the owner of the business:

It is a 1964 Mustang, with a 1966 grille, as the owner doesn't like the 1964 grilles. It also doesn't have the original 289, it has a 351 Cleveland. And it is not painted a Ford red, it is a Porsche red. All work done by the owner.

Pentax K5IIs, Sigma 28mm f2.8 Mini Wide.

09-17-2018, 01:48 AM - 2 Likes   #2315
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Very nice series, what lens did you use?
QuoteOriginally posted by Erictator Quote
Judging from the sun star and pixie dust, I detect a limited of some sort.Nice series!Eric
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
From his Flickr page: smc PENTAX-DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
This might just make me get one, i actually made some inquiries 2 days ago into the 15 and 21, which are the same price where I am, as companions for my DA35 AL and DA70 Ltd.
QuoteOriginally posted by 24thNomad Quote
Whoa, those are gorgeous. Thanks for sharing!
QuoteOriginally posted by onlineflyer Quote
Those are some really nice photos.
Thank you all. Yes indeed it was the DA 15mm Limited (SMC version). I don't own the 21 but from what I have seen it's a more flexible lens, while DA 15 has more character but is also more difficult to use, especially regarding the framing. If you get it right it can be a lot of fun, though.

QuoteOriginally posted by kevinWE Quote
Were you using an ND filter?
No I was not. I have a 10 stop ND filter for the DA 15 that I use sometimes for long exposures, but not in this series. I don't have any gradual ND, I just underexpose slightly to protect the highlights and then in post-processing I boost the exposure and shadows and add a digital gradual ND.

One more shot with the DA 15:

11-13-2018, 05:55 AM - 2 Likes   #2316
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Going through some old shots and was reminded of how great the K5-IIs is at higher ISO's.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
11-18-2018, 08:03 AM - 7 Likes   #2317
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

I love my K-5 IIs!

I bought mine to be my M42 body and it's great!

11-21-2018, 08:42 PM - 5 Likes   #2318

After it being quite some time unfortunately of putting my camera down, I decided to pick it back up again and give it the attention it deserves.

It felt like an old baseball glove. So natural in the hand and it all came back to me.....and once again.........I'm obsessed.

I went out and got a new SSD for my computer to freshen it up even...and I couldn't be happier.

I hummed and hawed about getting a different camera, something better for videography, but I think I'll stick to my Pentax, and grab the new gopro or something as I'm usually doing extreme sports.

11-22-2018, 12:22 AM - 1 Like   #2319
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by outdoorsman Quote
After it being quite some time unfortunately of putting my camera down, I decided to pick it back up again and give it the attention it deserves.

It felt like an old baseball glove. So natural in the hand and it all came back to me.....and once again.........I'm obsessed.

I went out and got a new SSD for my computer to freshen it up even...and I couldn't be happier.

I hummed and hawed about getting a different camera, something better for videography, but I think I'll stick to my Pentax, and grab the new gopro or something as I'm usually doing extreme sports.
Welcome back and some nice photos
11-24-2018, 07:35 AM - 4 Likes   #2320

I am much the same. been off the forum for a while (kinda shocked i remembered my login really) and in desperate need to pick up my camera again and use it. But a couple pics from over the summer of my photogenic horses

11-24-2018, 01:50 PM - 1 Like   #2321

Great shots! I particularly like the 3rd photo. Very sharp.
Once you pick it up, and start taking some sharp clean images, it makes you want to keep using it doesn't it?!
11-24-2018, 04:42 PM - 1 Like   #2322

QuoteOriginally posted by outdoorsman Quote
Great shots! I particularly like the 3rd photo. Very sharp.
Once you pick it up, and start taking some sharp clean images, it makes you want to keep using it doesn't it?!

SO much YES to that. I know it's an older style but I LOVE it. I start to feel like I have forgotten EVERYTHING I learned with my K1000 for my photojournalism degree but then I take the K5II camera out and just play with it some more. I still have my K1000's and film so I can still take that out as well.
01-04-2019, 07:29 AM - 6 Likes   #2323
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This morning's old Moon

Near 2% illumination:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
01-21-2019, 12:48 PM - 7 Likes   #2324
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

20 JAN 19 Lunar eclipse

Through hazy moving clouds.

Near totality and near mid-eclipse with a few field stars visible:
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5 II s  Photo 
01-21-2019, 04:29 PM - 1 Like   #2325
Veteran Member

I love the eclipse photos. Wish I could have taken pictures. I did get to see it for about a minute at nearly half way.