Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2012, 06:03 PM   #46
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Funny, that's what I was thinking.

12-31-2012, 06:25 PM   #47
Pentaxian

this discussion > /dev/null

It has all been said, talked about, disputed and weighed - now it's up to personal preference or just a sense of wanting to try something different.
01-19-2013, 11:16 AM - 1 Like   #48

Photos: Albums
I'm a NIkon shooter who was about to pull the trigger on a d600 kit but am now going to Pentax.

My plans for Pentax are K5 IIs + 12-24 + sigma 35mm 1.4 + sigma 70-200 2.8 OS

I shot the d600 and found it to be quite nice. However, I was upset by Nikon's lack of response on the sensor oil issue (which is real! however it seems to get better over time) and the build quality of the camera (which is good but not d300/K5 levels). I also found the autofocus points to be very centralized and not very useful considering how much of a step backwards this is from the d300/d700.

A great d600 kit could be:
D600 body
16-35 f4 VR
50 1.8g
70-200 f4 VR

That kit is about the same price as my k5 iis kit, and the high iso IQ is going to be better (but not as much better as you may think). If I hadn't seen how lush the colors straight out of camera are on the new pentax models and the staggering long exposure performance, the d600 would be my camera. Sharpness appears to be about the same and the Nikkor 70-200s are going to be better than anything from pentax (so far) or sigma, tamron etc etc (although maybe not worth the extra $$ to most shooters).

I've never had a client able to nitpick over the dof or iq difference between aps-c and ff... only other photags for the most part are going to notice or appreciate this difference.

Another primary reason for me to go Pentax is I can grab a second used K5 body for well less than 1000, while another d600 body is going to cost a fortune. The d600 is not a $2000 camera body to me because the small autofucus point spread and build. If you are shooting events the d700 is a far better option. For general casual use the d600 or k5 ii are going to play pretty equal (assuming you can get the lenses you want on either mount). I regularly print 24x36 inch prints and even a sharp 12mp image is perfectly acceptable for this size, so don't sweat the 24mp.

good luck!
01-19-2013, 12:36 PM - 1 Like   #49
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtags24 Quote
I'm a NIkon shooter who was about to pull the trigger on a d600 kit but am now going to Pentax.

My plans for Pentax are K5 IIs + 12-24 + sigma 35mm 1.4 + sigma 70-200 2.8 OS

I shot the d600 and found it to be quite nice. However, I was upset by Nikon's lack of response on the sensor oil issue (which is real! however it seems to get better over time) and the build quality of the camera (which is good but not d300/K5 levels). I also found the autofocus points to be very centralized and not very useful considering how much of a step backwards this is from the d300/d700.

A great d600 kit could be:
D600 body
16-35 f4 VR
50 1.8g
70-200 f4 VR

That kit is about the same price as my k5 iis kit, and the high iso IQ is going to be better (but not as much better as you may think). If I hadn't seen how lush the colors straight out of camera are on the new pentax models and the staggering long exposure performance, the d600 would be my camera. Sharpness appears to be about the same and the Nikkor 70-200s are going to be better than anything from pentax (so far) or sigma, tamron etc etc (although maybe not worth the extra $$ to most shooters).
Totally agree....actually those Nikon lenses were the same exact ones I had chosen

I tried the D600 for awhile and while the image quality was stunning, the body handling was too much of a step backward from the K5/5Dm2 I've been using. For some folks, this might be great (lighter, almost APS-C size). The body just didn't inspire confidence with me for outdoor work....at least not after using the 5D and K5, which are mostly metal. The ISO button is in a terrible place. The big dealbreaker for me was the lack of exposure simulation in live view (I often use this with my GND filters). Also, max shutter speed is 1/4000 opposed to the 1/8000 of the 5D/K5. Not a big deal there, at least for me. The ergonomics were not great compared to the K5, which has a very nice finger notch. I had some spotting issues, but actually the bigger deal was a red streaking issue with the 16-35 when shooting long exposures. I was pretty darn frustrated at the lack of quality control.

Basically, I came to the conclusion that if I made the switch, I'd go for the D800 refurb, which is ~$300 more. I returned the 600. Unfortunately, Nikon hasn't come out with a true D700 replacement. The 24MP Exmor sensor would be a perfect pair for such a camera.

IMO there is a nice place at 24MP for Pentax to jump in with its all metal WR FF.

01-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #50

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by sb in ak Quote
Totally agree....actually those Nikon lenses were the same exact ones I had chosen

I tried the D600 for awhile and while the image quality was stunning, the body handling was too much of a step backward from the K5/5Dm2 I've been using. For some folks, this might be great (lighter, almost APS-C size). The body just didn't inspire confidence with me for outdoor work....at least not after using the 5D and K5, which are mostly metal. The ISO button is in a terrible place. The big dealbreaker for me was the lack of exposure simulation in live view (I often use this with my GND filters). Also, max shutter speed is 1/4000 opposed to the 1/8000 of the 5D/K5. Not a big deal there, at least for me. The ergonomics were not great compared to the K5, which has a very nice finger notch. I had some spotting issues, but actually the bigger deal was a red streaking issue with the 16-35 when shooting long exposures. I was pretty darn frustrated at the lack of quality control.

Basically, I came to the conclusion that if I made the switch, I'd go for the D800 refurb, which is ~$300 more. I returned the 600. Unfortunately, Nikon hasn't come out with a true D700 replacement. The 24MP Exmor sensor would be a perfect pair for such a camera.

IMO there is a nice place at 24MP for Pentax to jump in with its all metal WR FF.
Yes we definitely think alike! Also, thats horrible about the red streak during long exposures... that would have made me furious. I am definitely excited by the prospect of a pentax FF. To be honest, a pentax FF with 24mp, good long exposure performance, and weather resistance would be my next body without question (it would also further validate those nice pentax primes).
01-19-2013, 06:45 PM   #51
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mtags24 Quote
Yes we definitely think alike! Also, thats horrible about the red streak during long exposures... that would have made me furious. I am definitely excited by the prospect of a pentax FF. To be honest, a pentax FF with 24mp, good long exposure performance, and weather resistance would be my next body without question (it would also further validate those nice pentax primes).
Definitely. Though I'm curious to see how the now older FA 31, 43 and 77s would actually hold up on today's high MP bodies or whether it would really be back to the drawing board for Pentax. They perform fine on APS-C, but what about edge performance on FF?

I'm pretty confident they could get lenses like the new Tamron 24-70 on board but I think it would be difficult for them to come up with a new line of Pentax FF zooms quickly enough. I think that's why we haven't seen one so far. At least they have the old FA designs so they wouldn't be starting from scratch.