Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
12-24-2012, 09:17 PM   #31
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
.... In the studio, for some comparisons, the K-5s superior depth of field makes it better.
Well, I will grab my D600 over a APS-C any day for portrait for my studio work. DOF is not a problem. I just turn up the strobe power when I want more DOF and since I shoot with only the modeling lights on the strobes the low light focus capability of the D600 beats the K5 hands down.

Edit: I also shoot medium and large format film cameras for portrait work. DOF is a piece of cake on FF 35mm compared to those.

Last edited by tuco; 12-24-2012 at 09:34 PM.
12-25-2012, 07:58 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Well, I will grab my D600 over a APS-C any day for portrait for my studio work. DOF is not a problem. I just turn up the strobe power when I want more DOF and since I shoot with only the modeling lights on the strobes the low light focus capability of the D600 beats the K5 hands down.

Edit: I also shoot medium and large format film cameras for portrait work. DOF is a piece of cake on FF 35mm compared to those.
Several users of the D600 and the k-5II are reporting that the k-5II is as good or better in low light. This is thanks to the -3EV system and the new F2.8 center point sensor.
12-26-2012, 01:54 PM   #33
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flip a coin? That's probably a more meaningful way to judge than deliberating over all this :/ It's only a camera.
12-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #34

Are you certain your insurance is not talking about the canon 600d ?

12-26-2012, 05:01 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Right...

"The D600 didn't exactly inspire in that respect, either. Again, a very good camera, probably the best entry full frame DSLR to date, especially when value also comes into play (assuming you didn't buy on day one ;~). But the dust/oil controversy didn't exactly get it out of the gate cleanly, either (pun intended)." - Thom Hogan on 24 Dec 2012 in "So What if I Had to Pick?"

http://bythom.com/

"I can't begin to count the number of things that Nikon did (or didn't do) in 2012 that showed no real interest in their current customers but more interest in potential new customers." - Thom Hogan on 24 Dec 2012 in "Five Things to Watch for in 2013"

http://bythom.com/

Cheers...M
Not entirely sure what you're trying to say there. But anyway, what I meant is that missing a rare chance to try what Tom Hogan describes as 'the best entry full frame' with no financial risk if I was to change my mind (as I'd be able to sell the D600 and buy a K5ii with change to spare), is something I certainly would regret.
12-26-2012, 07:16 PM   #36
Pentaxian

D600 if you always prefer shallow DOF type shots.
K5IIs if you are more of a generalist.

Less DOF can work against the hobbist too.
Often wide open to f2.8 is not enough DOF for head shots.
f4-5.6 may not be enough too for shots of more than 1 person.
Stop down more and your strobe needs to give out more power, affecting recycling times. (esp. if you are strobing and not using studio lights)
But if you like lots of 'ah... so shallow DOF' type shots (and they can be nice) for a wider FOV than on aps-c, then FF is the way to go.

I'd suggest you look ahead to what lenses you intend to purchase in the near future too.
D600+(the f1.8/f2.8 primes) will not be too expensive (biggish, but not exceedingly big)
K5IIs+DA*55, you get a good lens to start with.
Ironically, you'd need a DA15/DA21ltd; DA35/2.4 to have a versatile 3 lens kit, but they are more expensive than the cheap Nikon f1.8/2.8 G lenses.
It balances off with better build and small size while the Nikkors are faster.
You need to decide on your prefernces and piorities.

K5IIs is the better handling camera, but one can get used to a D600 too.
12-27-2012, 10:02 AM   #37

QuoteOriginally posted by Michaelina2 Quote
Hogan is a bit better than Rockwell, but neither is worth quoting. Yes, dust on the D600 & lots of issues with the D800 are obvious if one reads through a Nikon forum. But, dubious numbers from an egotist that can't be substantiated is another thing entirely.

12-27-2012, 10:26 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Was in similar situation on what to get.K5II or D600, really wanted the D800 but in the end to $$ as lenses must be top grade,then the D600 came out but too many comprosmises for me..so in the end chose K5II and some good lenses(when they arrive..) if $$ was no problem then D800 for sure as its also a 16mpx crop cam if needed as well, so best of both worlds..
12-28-2012, 08:21 PM   #39
Veteran Member

Get both. Sell the one you don't like.
12-29-2012, 08:05 AM - 1 Like   #40

Photos: Albums
Difficult choice.... I am not biased towards either brand.
I am a current Pentax shooter but have used Nikon for 20 years including a D700 for 6 months.

Maybe get the D600 kit and hold on to your remaining Pentax lenses. If you don't like the D600 kit, sell it and get the K5II.
Just a few points about Nikon- Ergonomics not as good as Pentax. Lenses are bigger and heavier. Pro grade lenses are very expensive. Nikon TTL is the best.

Don't think IQ will improve dramatically. If you check on this forum of the work of Pentaxians like Frederic or Jim (boxed light), then you may learn it is not the gear that counts but the person behind the gear. I have 2 posters at home of photos taken with cropped sensor and i don't think i need a FF. I have nothing against FF either.

All the best!
12-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #41
Veteran Member

Well, I have seen threads like this over and over again. Yawn.
12-29-2012, 12:47 PM   #42

QuoteOriginally posted by atl32 Quote
Hello,

I have a unique choice to make and could use some second opinions...

I lost a camera bag with a K-5 and some filters/lenses and am going through insurance for replacement. I had planned on getting the K-5 II and the DA*55mm 1.4 that the claims guy wrote up as an equal replacement, but the replacement company said I could apply the cost to any camera they carry and the D600 kit would effectivley be the same price for a D600 and Nikon 24-85mm lens... He is recommending the D600 as a better overall deal right now and it would be an even swap
I have been a Pentax guy for a while and prior to that used Canon. I have a couple of decent Pentax lenses, but no major investment at this point, so jumping to Nikon is not a big deal, except that I have never owned a Nikon. I like the Pentax K-5, but have had some occasional trouble with auto-focus being mildly hit or miss and flash shots being average at best.

The idea of a Full Frame upgrade intrigues me for essentially no out of pocket cost to me. Plus I could sell my other two Pentax lenses and pick up some Nikon 1.8 primes to compliment the D600 for a reasonable price. I know this is a Pentax forum and would be biased to the brand and admit I am biased to Pentax somewhat myself with no experience with Nikon... Any advice??? Is this really to good of a chance to pass up in making the jump to Full Frame for free?? Thoughts on a D600 versus a K-5II? I love the K-5 build quality and have not held a D600 but know it is a little bigger and maybe less well constructed, but have heard good things on Nikon lenses versus Pentax with SDM...

Let me know any input anyone has so I can try and get off this fence before the Nikon deal runs out.

I appreciate any input provided! Regards!
Wait until Nikon acknowledges And Resolves the Dust/Oil issue on the D600 and only then buy it -
Nikon is literally Dumping this defective batch everywhere !! B&h J &r
but At least at Costco you can return it easily(last day to get their deal may be today?
It's too bad that people don't all contact the Better Business was Bureau about Nikon's shady practice of hiding the problem while all the while dumping the if problem on their customers-shame shame
12-29-2012, 01:07 PM   #43
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by treebeard Quote
Well, I have seen threads like this over and over again. Yawn
Yes, but the OP is asking the question to look for opinions on his specific needs.
The K-5 build quality is what is inspiring the OP, and the K-5 focusing issues have been largely addressed with the K-5 II.
However the D600 isn't a bad camera in any stretch of the imagination, and does sport the larger format, notwithstanding the lack of added resolution its sensor provides over the K-5 in real life photography.
It is a choice one must make at the camera store IMO. Hold both camera, shoot with both for a little while, and have a good feel of their UIs.
Then make the decision based on your photographic needs.
12-29-2012, 01:11 PM   #44
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Yes, but the OP is asking the question to look for opinions on his specific needs.
The K-5 build quality is what is inspiring the OP, and the K-5 focusing issues have been largely addressed with the K-5 II.
However the D600 isn't a bad camera in any stretch of the imagination, and does sport the larger format, notwithstanding the lack of added resolution its sensor provides over the K-5 in real life photography.
It is a choice one must make at the camera store IMO. Hold both camera, shoot with both for a little while, and have a good feel of their UIs.
Then make the decision based on your photographic needs.
What focusing issues, that's what I don't understand. I have a K-5 and have not experienced any "focusing" issues. Having shot Canon and Nikon and Pentax for years I guess I just tired sometimes of the proverbial "switching brands" thread. I never buy a new camera right after it's release...I think the Canon releases and Nikon releases have shown why.
12-30-2012, 12:41 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Round and round in circles we go...K-5 is a great camera and so is the D600. When is this going to stop?