Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-22-2012, 12:18 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Random multi-directional button failure

It's happened 3 different times with a couple of different lenses being used. The first was the DA 18-55mm kit lens, the other lens was my brand new sigma 10-20.

Seems to occur very randomly where the selection/multi-directional buttons on the back of the camera fail to respond to being pressed. Every thing else works fine.

To fix, it requires shutting down the camera, removing the lens, start camera with lens off - check button function, replace lens, restart camera - works properly.

No idea what causes it, there are no error messages, no particular function combinations, etc. Mystery failure.

*Not to toot my own horn here, but I am certified from 4 different computer companies for internal diagnosis and repair of computers (not those mail-in pay-for degree courses, btw ;) - so I've only been able to reproduce the situation very randomly despite trying to get it to repeat the failure. It happens ever so randomly ...

I usually notice that it's happened after a review of an image, and going to change a setting like color mode or white balance, at which point I realize the buttons are no longer working.

Any one else experience this before with their Pentax DSLR?

Thanks,
Mark

12-22-2012, 12:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Is your AF selector switch in the SEL mode by any chance?
12-22-2012, 03:26 PM   #3

Original Poster
Yes, that's exactly where it's set. You've seen this, too? Known issue?
12-22-2012, 03:38 PM   #4
Veteran Member

when its at the set position, the multicontroller is used to change your AF point. To switch between setting the AF point and normal mode, press the OK button

12-22-2012, 04:40 PM   #5

Original Poster
Correct, that's what I read in the manual. doesn't sound like that's my problem. Normally, one should be able to review an image, click out of review and then be able to change white balance, color medium/mode, change the start timer, etc - the issue I'm experiencing is that the buttons simply don't work. I usually shoot manual focus even with AF lenses, so the AF point selection feature is turned off in that mode when the AF switch on the side of the bayonet is off.
12-22-2012, 07:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

in that case, i can't really help, sorry!

but to correct you, multi-point AF will work even if you switch the af mode switch to manual when using AF lenses. in the off chance that it's not broken, check your custom menu, turn option 14 to setting 1 and try looking into your viewfinder while pressing on the direction buttons next time its not working, as that's the only thing i can think of that would cause your k-5 to act that way.
12-23-2012, 06:15 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for your input, but I need to start a new thread and maybe some one who could understand what I'm explaining can help. This has nothing to do with working in AF mode, choosing AF points, or any thing along those lines.

The circle of buttons locks up some times and doesn't work. They won't respond to any change when they were working just fine seconds before. Simple. Doesn't have any thing to do with AF piont selection, AF points not working, any of those symptoms.

Wondering if any one else had the SAME problem. It's sounding like you're attempting to apply a suggestion problem to this situation that I'm not experiencing. The Selection buttons just stop working and have 3 different times, requires camera reboot with lens off.

Thanks for reading and understanding my problem.

And, no, Multi point AF does not work (you can not select points with manual lenses on the K-5, re-read owner's manual) with K-mount manual focus lenses on, it defaults to center point meter averaging, for how I have it set up to meter.

Last edited by neuropol; 12-23-2012 at 06:21 AM.