Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2012, 08:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Now I'm a Real Pentaxian :)

AT last I can now start to enjoy using Pentax, as my new K5II just arrived today.Only kit lens but have ordered the DA300 and have a Q coming next week.And just got a Pentax AF 1.7 TC on ebay for £170(hope that was a good deal??)
Now a few adapters to use my Oly lenses and all set to go.... but of course the lack of light this time of year means must have some patience..
will post some pics as soon I do something worth posting
Have a question..can I use Nikon or Olympus flashes on the K5II or will I fry it??

12-29-2012, 10:11 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Won't fry, but will only work full power/manual/slave with no TTL.
12-29-2012, 10:21 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
Won't fry, but will only work full power/manual/slave with no TTL.
manual is fine as long as no damage to cam..thnx
12-29-2012, 10:44 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Congrats on the new gear ... keep us posted and post a few images ... J

12-29-2012, 11:16 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Hi will do..mostly like outdoor shots..birds nature..so when some light comes one of the days.... otherwise my poor cats become photo models again..& again...
12-29-2012, 11:31 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Shanti Quote
Have a question..can I use Nikon or Olympus flashes on the K5II or will I fry it??
Modern ones are fine, very old ones (film era) might have too high a trigger voltage. If you have used them on a digital camera then yes they should be fine.

But manual only of course.
12-29-2012, 12:08 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Modern ones are fine, very old ones (film era) might have too high a trigger voltage. If you have used them on a digital camera then yes they should be fine.

But manual only of course.
I have the Oly FL-36 and Nikon SB-400 flashes..the Nikon has no manual controls but maybe it can work? very good for its size use flash most for product shots for my business, would they work as slaves with a Pentax trigger or whatever its called TTL..

12-29-2012, 12:26 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

would they work as slaves with a Pentax trigger or whatever its called TTL..
They will work fine as slaves but you will need to trigger them either with optical triggers like this: Amazon.com: Seagull SYK-4 Optical Slave Trigger with PC Sync Socket: Camera & Photo or with radio triggers like these: Amazon.com: Cactus V5 Wireless Flash Trigger: Electronics.

They will not work with Pentax TTL (P-TTL) either mounted on the camera or by using the pop up flash to trigger. If you try to use the pop up in wireless trigger mode the slave flashes will see the Pentax pre-flash as it meters and go off then, instead of when the real trigger flash occurs a split second later.

Note the links are just for information there are many brands and solutions I just got those in a quick search. I do use the Cactus v5 ones myself and would recommend them but there are other solutions both more and less expensive.

You will need to be able to set the power on the slave flashes manually, I am not familiar with either of those so I cannot help there. You can change the power by using switches or menu on most flashes or by moving them farther away or adding diffusion material. I use Pentax AF200t flashes because they have a simple slider on the back to change the power. Quick and easy, no menus.
12-29-2012, 10:04 PM   #9
Veteran Member

but of course the lack of light this time of year means must have some patience..
Light? It's overrated. Just shoot, you've got a Pentax now.

Congrats!
12-29-2012, 10:29 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Light who needs it..

Yes I know..can almost get photos in near darkness..quite amazing,and only have the kit lens for now..and really nice camera to hold / use..as I never have seen one before I bought it..so maybe I should read the manual but have figured most out so far without..very intuitive menus & button placementsI think