Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #1

LX strap lugs on DSLR

i am new to my K-5 and this forum; and i am a long-time LX fan. i alway thought that the LX strap lugs are fabulous. they allow quick removal of the strap when you don't need it. so i already miss these on my K-5.
now the question: has anyone researched the possibility of installing LX lugs on K-5 or similar Pentax DSLR?

12-29-2012, 04:29 PM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The lug holders on the K-5 can be unscrewed. You could try if the LX lug holder would have the same thread and fit.

Be careful, though. I fear that the lhe lug holders are just screwed into the polycarbonate inner body, not into metal.

Please report back!
12-30-2012, 07:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

I don't think it'll work. The lugs are screwed into retainers that are attached to the body.
01-03-2013, 09:28 PM   #4

Original Poster
more input please

Ole: thanks for the encouragement. but i am concerned about attempting to remove the lugs from the K-5 since i have never done this before and i am concerned about botching it up and jeapordizing my warrantee. Do you know if they remove easily; have lock-tight; right-hand thread?

tabl10s: thanks for the input, but i do not understand what you mean. if there are retainers (in the plastic part of the body?) and the lugs are screwed into the retainers, couldn't the lugs be unscrewed? are you concerned that the retainers are not held in well enough to survive the unscrewing process?

btw: i don't have to remove the lugs from my LX. i bought several spares many years ago.

01-04-2013, 02:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I had both of my LX's for 31 years(still have one...somewhere)and didn't know they were removable till a couple of months ago. Upon close inspection of a removed lug(pic), it seems that the female retainer has been securely fastened to the main chassis and would be very hard to remove.
01-04-2013, 09:09 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by pentaxdevotee Quote
if there are retainers (in the plastic part of the body?) and the lugs are screwed into the retainers, couldn't the lugs be unscrewed?
You all might want to look at this diagram before unscrewing stuff.
The parts circled in green are the strap rings. The hardware circled in red are the nuts and washers inside the top cover, holding the strap rings in place. In order to replace the rings, you must disassemble the top cover of the camera.
One picture is worth thousand words. (pictured is a K7, same as K5).

Cheers.

Last edited by Ex Finn.; 11-11-2014 at 05:46 PM.
01-05-2013, 11:10 AM   #7

Original Poster
thanks to both tabl10s and Ex Finn.
Ex Finn the image you provided is the clear info i needed. the nuts on the inside prevent easy removal of the strap lugs.
i will have to work on a different method for quick removal of camera strap.
it is mind bogling to me that Pentax did not continue a great idea in all their cameras after the LX: quick release strap connection.