Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-29-2012, 08:03 PM   #1

K-5 ii: Help needed to Lock Focus and Exposure

Hello
I have K-5 ii camera and I want to do the following but I am unable to do so. Please assume that I am in Aperture Priority (Av) Mode & have the auto-focus enabled.
1) I would like to lock the focus, then press the shutter release button without camera trying to re-focus or use timer button for shooting the picture without the camera tyring to re-focus. I am not clear but it seems I should be able to use the AF button somehow.
2) I would like to lock the exposure and then press the shutter release button without the camera recalculating the exposure. Likewise if I use timer after locking the exposure I would like camera not to re-calculate the exposure. Again I get the feeling the button to use is AE-L.
3) This time I would like to lock both the focus and exposure and perform with the same constraints as described above.

I am not able to do any of the above three; the manual seems to be not clear; maybe I haven't had the chance to read it carefully. I would really appreciate some instructions on the camera settings and the steps while taking the picture. Thank you in advance.

12-29-2012, 08:11 PM   #2
hcc
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Should you not be using the M mode?

I doubt that Tav will do what you want and I would go to full manual (and AF).
12-29-2012, 09:23 PM - 1 Like   #3
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Re 1): Use the AF button on the back to lock focus. Press and hold it to keep focus locked. Then recompose and half-press the shutter to meassure the exposure and trip it to take the shot.

Re 2): Lightly touch the shutter button to turn the meter on. Press the AE-L button to lock exposure. An asterisk (star) is shown in the view finder. Recompose and shoot. Custom function 4 sets how long the meter stays on. You may want to set it to its maximum value.

Re 3): Follow #2 then #1. Or set custom function 5 to 2 (on). This will lock the exposure when you lock focus using the method in #1.
12-30-2012, 06:38 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
Re 1): Use the AF button on the back to lock focus. Press and hold it to keep focus locked. Then recompose and half-press the shutter to meassure the exposure and trip it to take the shot.

Re 2): Lightly touch the shutter button to turn the meter on. Press the AE-L button to lock exposure. An asterisk (star) is shown in the view finder. Recompose and shoot. Custom function 4 sets how long the meter stays on. You may want to set it to its maximum value.

Re 3): Follow #2 then #1. Or set custom function 5 to 2 (on). This will lock the exposure when you lock focus using the method in #1.
Ole
Thank you. All your suggestions werev very clear and worked.

01-20-2015, 03:04 AM   #5

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote

Thanks for the great help.
01-20-2015, 05:58 AM   #6

You might also want to disable auto focus when pressing the shutter button. It's one of the options under the "Customise Button" in the menu (sorry don't know the exact place to find it. Don't have my camera with me).
01-20-2015, 06:10 AM   #7
Pentaxian

^^^^^^^^^ +1... You don't have to continuously hold the back AF button to lock the focus if you disable the shutter half press. A simple press and hold for a brief time to set the SR and release will lock it. If you are in AF.C then holding the AF button will track for movement otherwise a press and release will lock the focus. For this reason I usually keep my camera in AF.C as I exclusively use back button AF.