Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2012, 10:08 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Catch In Focus Fun!

One of the great features of our K-5's in catch-in-focus. I've had a setup in my mind for almost a year now but never got around to trying it out. It all started last summer while trying to capture our Hummingbirds. I thought of putting the camera on a tripod aimed at a spot where they land often near the feeders would be a great way to get some great images. I know I am not the first to do this, but finally had to give it a go this afternoon.

The setup conditions were pretty much terrible. Shooting through double pane glass - against a white background of snow - dark cloudy skies - and it was snowing at the time. But, this was just my initial experiment so the actual outcome of the images wasn't my first priority.

K-5 set on a tripod - catch in focus enabled - continuous shooting enabled - used a wired remote release with the button locked down.

In about 2 hours I pulled the card and had 265 shots. I made my first cull, and uploaded the set of 42 remaining images. I only did a universal post process of raising the brightness of all the images +1.8ev as all the images were a bit dark due to the meter exposing for the white background. I have a lot more work I want to do to some of these images, but thought I would share my results - please excuse the composition and editing as these are pretty much right out of the camera.

Last edited by photolady95; 04-17-2016 at 02:18 AM.
12-30-2012, 01:39 AM   #2

Nice set! Often you see people focussing on the background, not on the subject. And you actually did focus on the subject. Prefer photo one, as it has some soft on the bird which isn't annoying.
12-30-2012, 05:30 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Very nice, great idea. The colors are spot on, too. These are our local winter visitors, too.
12-30-2012, 07:18 AM   #4

Very nice, especially under those conditions. I would try that, but the only birds that I would capture are sparrows or crows...lol. I guess I will have to play with CIF when the hummingbirds return.

12-30-2012, 10:58 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am always amazed out how good the images turn out when shooting through not clean windows (speaking of mine not yours).

Nice set.