Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2012, 06:49 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
K-5 Odd Metering Flub

Last Saturday, I decided to take a picture of the snow coming down. Did the normal power on, press the shutter half-way, adjust the f-stop and ISO so I didn't have to use a tripod, took the picture, and it was severely overexposed. 1/20th @ ISO around 12,000 (I forget the exact number), center weighted metering. At first I thought the entire picture was white, but I later found a dark area that may be a car.

Took the SD card out, put it back in, went back outside, this time the metering was right and the picture came out fine.

What happened? Firmware is at 1.13.

12-31-2012, 07:45 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Can you post the pictures and tell us where you metered?
12-31-2012, 08:19 AM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes, post the picture and leave EXIF intact, if at all possible.

Most likely is an issue with the SD card. Re-format might be in order.
12-31-2012, 08:34 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
I'll do that when I get home from work. SD card had been formatted a few days before taking that first picture. I wonder if it might have been the contacts between the lens and the camera ("Pentax" 18-250).

12-31-2012, 11:00 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
IMGP0178 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Metering said this was fine. Obviously it was wrong.

A few minutes later, after taking out the SD card and putting it back in, taking a test photo in the living room, then back outside:

IMGP0180 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

And for grins, the next day:

IMGP0181 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

(PEF files processed and resized by Faststone Image Viewer - I use it for quick and dirties)
12-31-2012, 12:26 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hi sadatoni,

Personally, I don't sweat single exposure anomalies that aren't repeatable. There are too many things that can cause this -- like the mentioned possible SD card problem.

One other possibility is that you might have been shooting indoors, and accidentally pressed the AEL button, locking the exposure settings for a dark scene, which drastically overexposed the outdoor scene. When you removed the SD card, the camera reset and disabled the AEL, so the camera returned to normal functioning. Unless you are absolutely sure that the asterisk (AEL indicator) in the VF was not on when you took the outdoor shot, then you really can't be sure what might have happened.

There are many possible inadvertent user errors with today's digital cameras. I consider one-shot malfunctions to be my error, and would only blame the camera if it was repeatable, and I was certain that I've done my part to get things right.

Scott
12-31-2012, 01:01 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I've had a very few odd exposures on one day - some nearly black, some about 4 stops over, but not enough to be a bother. About as frequent as freezing (none in months), and mirror flops (which I never had for the first 2 years, then a little flurry).

12-31-2012, 01:29 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by snostorm Quote
Hi sadatoni,

Personally, I don't sweat single exposure anomalies that aren't repeatable. There are too many things that can cause this -- like the mentioned possible SD card problem.

Scott
I've had that happen once or twice with a K20D that I have used a lot over four years. I can't duplicate it, and it is extremely rare. You don't have a problem, in my opinion. Enjoy the snow and your camera.
01-01-2013, 08:29 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
I must have hit the AEL. Never had it happen with the K10D or K20D. It sure explains the results.