Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2012, 08:35 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
image alignment issue

Hi,

I have an issue with my K-5. When I take a number of test shots using a tripod indoors & IR remote, some of the shots donít align in Photoshop. What I mean by this is when zoomed right in some of the shots look like the camera has moved a fraction (so I'm unable to blend in PS without a lot of extra work). I have turned off horizon correction, SR is off by default using the IR and I've also tried mirror up function but I'm still seeing slight movement between shots.

FYI, the tripod is sturdy & secure, I'm standing 5 feet away on concrete floor so I really cant understand. Has anyone else seen this issue before or could I have a faulty camera?

Any advice greatly appreciated (as this is bugging the hell out of me)!

12-31-2012, 08:55 AM   #2

Photos: Albums
I have seen this a couple times on my K10D. Because of it I always use the auto align function in whatever HDR program I'm using. My guess is that the sensor moves somehow.
12-31-2012, 09:11 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Have you used Mirror up as well as the IF Remote?
12-31-2012, 09:22 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm not doing Hdr, just manual PS blend (so can't auto align).

I'd expect the images to align without extra PP work.

Yep also tried mirror up.

12-31-2012, 12:06 PM   #5
Pentaxian

I'm not certain what you mean, how you are lining up and to what, but I have found that the body clunks from time to time coming back from auto sleep. A half press wakes it up and a number of things seem to start moving around.

There is a way to move the sensor by small amounts to align during eg macro shot setup. Maybe the base sensor location is indeterminate unless set specifically.
12-31-2012, 01:01 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Firstly thanks for all the replies ( using iPhone to respond which is why my response is brief :-)

So I'm taking 5 different exposures of the same shot and adding them as layers in Photoshop. I want to erase parts and merge down the layers but for this they
must align perfectly. However when I zoom in I can see sone of the images don't align.
01-01-2013, 08:08 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Ok, just in case anyone else is interested, I found the same alignment issue with my K-m.

Workaround is to open in Photoshop as a stack which gives the option to auto align. I found this fixed any minor alignment issues (and as a bonus is quicker than manually copy/pasting images to layers). Perhaps most people use this feature anyway which is why this is not a problem for them.

Anyway, thanks for all who replied to this thread :-)
01-04-2013, 07:58 AM   #8

Photos: Gallery
I've experienced this as well and I'd prefer an in-camera solution. Mostly because I'd like to know why the camera is doing this.