Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-02-2013, 05:31 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K5 audio clicks

I've owned the K5 since it's release and it's a very good camera for still pictures. And I haven't really tried out the video yet, because I always get put off by the editing, making menus burning to dvd, failing, burning again, and giving up.

Now, I've got this smart tv, which changes everything! I just connect my external HDD and I can play any video's on it! Fantastic!! And the video from my K5 is AMAZING. Especially the combo with the DA 15 ltd.

And here's the but: The video doesn't play on the TV directly. Apparently, the K5 video output isn't very mainstream, and I have to convert it to something else. The TV doesn't care what format, MKV, AVI, MP4, WMV, MOV, it plays everything, as long as it's not the untouched file from the K5 directly.

After the conversion, a click suddenly appears in all the videos. It's a rhythmic loud click every second or so. Very frustrating, it's not there in the original files, but appears in whatever converted output that I select.

Of course, I've searched this forum prior to making this post. I've found several threads on it already, but none of them contain any solutions without getting extensive video editing knowledge and very extensive editing.

So, what am I to do if I just want to enjoy the video from my K5 in a simple way? Isn't there some easy solution by now yet?

01-02-2013, 05:49 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The easiest way that I've gotten the clicks out is opening the video in Photoshop and exporting as a Quicktime movie. It's nothing fancy, but it works if you have PS.
01-02-2013, 05:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

You mean you can't just connect a mini-HDMI cable from the camera to your TV? That's about as simple as it gets, and I've used it a number of times.
01-02-2013, 05:56 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DSims Quote
You mean you can't just connect a mini-HDMI cable from the camera to your TV? That's about as simple as it gets, and I've used it a number of times.
You really keep all your video stored on your camera forever?

01-02-2013, 05:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manacho2005 Quote
The easiest way that I've gotten the clicks out is opening the video in Photoshop and exporting as a Quicktime movie. It's nothing fancy, but it works if you have PS.
Photoshop can open video? Sorry, I'm total noob when it comes to video. I'll try that.

I've been using Freemake (Free Video Converter | MP3 MP4 AVI 3GP MKV DVD | FREE Download) for the conversions up until now. Such an easy program for making video suitable for just about anything, but it leaves the clicks.
01-02-2013, 06:15 AM   #6

Try this piece of freeware;
Media Cope - It is all you need

I've used this on quite a number of occassions. (I dont own a K-5 yet so I cant tell you how it'll go), but give it a shot.
01-02-2013, 06:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cpho Quote
Try this piece of freeware;
Media Cope - It is all you need

I've used this on quite a number of occassions. (I dont own a K-5 yet so I cant tell you how it'll go), but give it a shot.
Thanks for the suggestion. Looks like a nice program. I tried it, but it still leaves the clicks.

01-02-2013, 07:20 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Has to do with the timing of the audio codec, if you use a different program of codec it might solve the problem.
01-02-2013, 07:37 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Clicks on K5 Video

Click sounds on your video are caused by two reasons.

1. Shake Reduction is turned on. Turn it off.
2. Auto Horizon is turn on . Turn it off.

That will eliminate that sound you've been experiencing.
01-02-2013, 07:44 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Anvh Quote
Has to do with the timing of the audio codec, if you use a different program of codec it might solve the problem.
I've tried the following programs:
- Any Video Converter
- Freemake
- MP4Cam2Avi Easy Converter
- XMedia Recode
- Movive

MP4Cam2Avi removed the clicks! But sadly, it also cuts all my videos in half. I can't, for the life of me, get it to accept the complete files.

As for codecs... I have no clue. How do I see what codecs I'm using? How do I change codecs? I thought just using the divx codecs from the divx website would be enough?
01-02-2013, 07:46 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobell69 Quote
Click sounds on your video are caused by two reasons.

1. Shake Reduction is turned on. Turn it off.
2. Auto Horizon is turn on . Turn it off.

That will eliminate that sound you've been experiencing.
Both were turned off though.
01-02-2013, 08:02 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Whilst continuing to read several threads on this topic, I see several suggestions to try a external microphone.

Does using a external microphone solve this clicking issue? If it does, it's not a codec issue, but indeed hardware related. If it's a codec issue a microphone wouldn't solve it.
01-02-2013, 09:42 AM - 1 Like   #13
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I'll have to check what I used to convert a video to upload to youtube. Several that I tried inserted that click, but one did not. I'm thinking it was windows movie maker that worked for me, but I could be wrong. I'll know when I get home from work.

John
01-02-2013, 10:28 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Clavius Quote
You really keep all your video stored on your camera forever?
With no audio samples or knowledge of your application or goal, it's difficult to give constructive help. Apparently you've determined the clicks aren't in the original recording? This cable would be the best way to determine this, I think, since no software is involved outside of the camera's firmware. For that matter, are you running the latest firmware?

I haven't encountered this problem yet. I use Sony Movie Studio HD on Windows. It's free to download a trial. It also takes you through the whole burning process successfully - DVD or Blu-ray. It's much less expensive than Final Cut Pro, and more capable than iMovie.

Without researching it, I wouldn't be surprised if most of the ~free apps you've tried are using a similar conversion engine. Not worth the trouble unless they're giving you a specific benefit.

Last edited by DSims; 01-02-2013 at 10:58 AM.
01-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #15
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The clicks are caused by the K-5's quirky codec. Re-encoding the video or opening it with a program that has the proper codec should solve the problem. If you upload directly to youtube, you'll get the clicks, which is a bummer.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: