Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-03-2013, 06:48 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Rounded lines in image

Hello people of this forum,

I have a question of something weird I see in some pictures that I have shot with my K5.
Sometimes I see rounded lines in my pictures. These images are converted to jpegs, but also you can see this lines in the originals Raw files.

Just like this for example: On top in the sky you can see rounded lines (above those birds)
A golden morning at 9:00 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Here it is less noticeable:
City in Fog | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Does anyone knows what this is? And to prevent it?
I haven't seen this before with my other camera's that I have used in past (Olympus E500 and Canon 7D).

Thanks!

Greetz Jeroen

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
01-03-2013, 07:23 AM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

I can't really see any rounded lines, but I assume you mean banding in what should be smooth tonal transitions in the sky. There's a tutorial to deal with this problem here: http://slodive.com/photoshop/how-to-correct-banding-in-your-gradients-using-photoshop/
01-03-2013, 07:23 AM   #3
Pentaxian

it is called posterisation - it is quite common with images with large expanses of subtle tonal gradations, frequently it shows up when you use the incorrect method for downsampling images for web display.
01-03-2013, 07:34 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've seen it before on my images (K-5 owner) and my best guess after a short search is this: "Aliasing: Aliasing refers to the jagged appearance of diagonal or curved lines due to the square nature of pixels. Aliasing is mostly a problem with files sizes which are too small, and when a photo is interpolated beyond Veer's standards." I'm not a very technical guy (a understatement) but the fact you can see them also in your raw files could be because what you are seeing in your photo viewer or Raw converter is a JPG representation of what the raw file looks like with some JPG compression applied to it. But I am way out of my comfort zone trying to explain this, so if somebody has a better idea...

Edit: I see some brighter minds have already come to the rescue!

01-03-2013, 08:21 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Correct me if I am wrong but a display adapter that isn't configured properly would also do that (example, if wrong color depth is used).

Regards,
01-07-2013, 06:17 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thanks for all replies guys. Banding lines is what I ment, indeed.
So I see it is not an specific K5 or lens problem.

I found this article on the Nikon forum about banding lines.
What is banding?

I will try that tutorial Ihasa posted.

Can also Lightroom be the problem? A wrong adjustment?

Edit: I also see this banding lines in Apple Finder. So it on the picture I think.

Last edited by sonic_flower; 01-07-2013 at 06:21 AM. Reason: correction