Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-04-2013, 04:26 AM   #1
Banned

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5II's camera strap: why so bad quality?

The camera strap is the worst strap of Pentax I ever used.

The slings are close to camera are very soft and twisted all the time. It's already worn out (after several days of use).
The neck part is made from cheap leather-substitute and I've cut several prominent threads...

My K200D strap will be 5 year old in April and looks very solid and high quality.
Neck part is made of suède. The slings are strong and solid.

I don't understand - why they've changed the strap's manufacturer.....

01-04-2013, 04:46 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

I was under the impression that apart from the design, it's basically the same strap. In any case, the good thing is that for a couple of bucks you can replace your Pentax strap with a bigger, better third-party strap, and that will be the end of your problems

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-04-2013, 04:51 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Buy a neoprene strap, I have a Pentax one but there are many 3rd-party ones. What a difference! (well, mostly in making your neck not feeling the weight, less in build quality)
01-04-2013, 04:52 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have a leather hand strap that I use I have had it for years and it has never failed me. I don't like the long camera straps that are so common theses days - they are too long and they generally get in the way, most of the time I don't use them. Camera makers go through a lot of trouble to make sure that their cameras fit well in the hand - because of this I have yet to see a camera that sits well dangling precariously from the end of a strap around someone's neck.

01-04-2013, 05:07 AM   #5
Veteran Member

What irks me is that the straps look more like Canon straps... Lol. But yeah they do feel less substantial for a strap that's supposed to carry Pentax's "flagship". They should invest inmaking it of better quality and slapping the II or IIs name on it...
01-04-2013, 05:28 AM   #6
Pentaxian

They should just use their neoprene strap with their flagship cameras, IMO.
01-04-2013, 05:31 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I'm surprised if they've reduced the strap quality. With my K7 I switched with the strap on my P-70, which is wider and includes little tiny leatherette pockets which are perfect for stowing spare SD cards! (See, pentax is always thinking ahead!) That's not the best place to keep an SD card, but at least if I forget to put one in the camera when I go out, I have a back-up. Tried a neoprene strap but it had too much bounce.

01-04-2013, 06:04 AM - 1 Like   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've done away with mine altogether, it just gets in the way. I find handling improves no end without the strap in the way.

(But...on the occasions that I do use a strap, I use a neoprene one that I clip/unclip when necessary. )
01-04-2013, 06:27 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
What irks me is that the straps look more like Canon straps... Lol
That bugs me as well, it was my first reaction upon seeing the new strap. Hopefully they never put the camera name on it... FWIW, I liked the old design better, it was more distinctive.

My K-5II strap is already frayed at one place, after roughly 3 weeks of ownership. My K-7 strap show no signs of wear after more than 3 years. I hope this is not indicative of the relative overall durability of the cameras
01-04-2013, 06:37 AM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

I don't even take the new straps out of the box any more when a get a new body....................I just clip on my Op-Tech straps and move on.........
01-04-2013, 06:46 AM   #11
Banned

Aftermarket straps are cheap. Buy a new one.
01-04-2013, 07:16 AM   #12

Regular camera straps are useless. I bought the Carry Speed Cs-1 MK II...the best $40 camera accessory that can be found. I'd love to get a good camera holster with a tether cord though...holding onto an unsecure camera is nerve wracking.
01-04-2013, 07:31 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I don't use neck straps .... find them really annoying and the new ones are even worse; I feel them cutting my neck with their edges.
Personally I'm a fan of hand straps.
01-04-2013, 07:35 AM   #14
ogl
Banned

Original Poster
Friends, I just share my impressions...I don't need new strap now. It's strange for me that K200D's strap is much better than K-5IIs (top camera of Pentax APS-C line)

My GXR strap is HQ thing too...
01-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #15
Veteran Member

I have a K-5 strap if anyone wants it. I've used an Optech since '86

Last edited by tabl10s; 01-04-2013 at 11:01 PM.