06-23-2013, 07:27 PM   #77
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Two weeks' Thursday nights -

next week...

06-24-2013, 03:30 AM   #78
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Good set. You make shooting in the dark look so easy.

Surprisingly I never see any evidence of anyone else aside from you shooting at that Thursday night venue. Nowadays practically any gig I go to there are lots of people with cameras and camera phones blazing away all the time, which can be good sometimes as their flashing provides extra light , but at the same time in small venues it can be very distracting having to jostle for position with other photogs. You are lucky to have the venue seemingly to yourself.
06-24-2013, 08:48 AM   #79
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
Surprisingly I never see any evidence of anyone else aside from you shooting at that Thursday night venue. Nowadays practically any gig I go to there are lots of people with cameras and camera phones blazing away all the time, which can be good sometimes as their flashing provides extra light , but at the same time in small venues it can be very distracting having to jostle for position with other photogs. You are lucky to have the venue seemingly to yourself.
Thanks rawr.

Most weeks I am the only photog there - they are now all pretty used to me being there almost every single Thursday.
Although there are times when people will shoot with their phones or small p&s - if I see the change in lighting I just don't shoot unless I see something that I just have to take.

The only "distraction" is when someone is shooting video - I try not to get in their way (hard because I am mostly up front and the video shooting is mostly from the back - so I just have to be aware they are shooting)
then there are the ones using the built-in light for the video - this does detract in the picture again I just don't shoot and wait until they are finished (it's hard to handhold to video for a long time) -

Very occasionally including phone lighting is interesting (both shots were on the K-x) -

Font lighting was from phone video -

Thanks,

Last edited by UnknownVT; 06-24-2013 at 09:06 AM.
07-23-2013, 12:41 PM   #80
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thursdays....

08-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #81
Veteran Member

Original Poster
end of an era for me.....
this jazz club has closed this very dark part/room as of July/31 -
the club does continue to operate - but just from the bar part which is normally lit

The last Thursday gig @ the Whisper Room (July/25) .....

The actual last night (July/31)

owner speaking

(this last shot is actually taken with my Canon G15 compact)
08-05-2013, 01:25 AM   #82
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
this jazz club has closed this very dark part/room as of July/31 -
Things may be a little easier now for you if the light is better, I guess. All the best for future shooting.
08-05-2013, 10:31 AM   #83
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Things may be a little easier now for you if the light is better, I guess. All the best for future shooting.
Thanks for the good wishes rawr -
over in the bar area although there is more light
but that's not necessarily "better" for modelling.

the bar part is the first two windows -
the now closed Whisper Room (where I had been shooting for almost 4 years on a regular basis)
is the two windows furthest away with the aqua blue/green reflections.

They used to have music in just the bar part before they opened the Whisper Room about 10 years ago.
and the "stage" was in the corner in the brightest/nearest window.

from inside: previous stage area

the "box" or entrance porch area - yellow on the right - was not there. (Canon G15)

Current bar area lighting (all shots below on Pentax K-x) -

another view from higher angle....

other end of bar, that's the same fire extinguisher as in pic above:

actual bar:

Last edited by UnknownVT; 08-05-2013 at 11:57 AM.
08-05-2013, 09:32 PM   #84
Pentaxian

What an interesting and photogenic venue. Musicians with their instruments to hand almost everywhere.
08-17-2013, 10:03 AM   #85
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What an interesting and photogenic venue. Musicians with their instruments to hand almost everywhere.
Indeed, even with the closure of the listening room, music still goes on in the bar part...
but obviously it has the environment of a bar and all that goes with it.......

OT -all these shots were on my Canon G15 compact -
RIP - Whisper Room -

the bar -

now with the entrance porch/box removed - stage area is to the left of the front door.

stage -

lighting is not the "best"

So I had to either use +positive exposure compensation or flash.....

the stage with flash -

musicians still play from off stage -

no flash

all have EXIF attached (caveat: PhotoBucket can sometimes lose part or all EXIF)

Last edited by UnknownVT; 08-17-2013 at 10:10 AM.
08-17-2013, 03:22 PM   #86
Pentaxian

The place now looks a lot more cramped. Getting close to the performers on stage looks easier than before, at least. Maybe there is also scope for some useful light leakage from the bar onto the stage.

I also see one of your musicians using what looks like an iPad on the floor. I wish more performers used them in dark venues. There's often a handy amount of light coming out of those. It's even better if the musicians have illuminated music stands, of course:

Bass and Keys
08-18-2013, 09:11 AM   #87
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The place now looks a lot more cramped. Getting close to the performers on stage looks easier than before, at least. Maybe there is also scope for some useful light leakage from the bar onto the stage.
I also see one of your musicians using what looks like an iPad on the floor. I wish more performers used them in dark venues. There's often a handy amount of light coming out of those. It's even better if the musicians have illuminated music stands, of course: Bass and Keys
Thanks rawr - nice shot - especially considering it's ISO6400.

Like I said it's not the amount of light - it's the quality and modelling - the lights were not set up with a stage in mind - eg: they are basically directly overhead - then the outside street lighting makes almost any shot from in the bar for some band members - against the light - eg; the drummer.

The basic ambient lighting is bright enough that an iPad/tablet probably would have very little effect unless held close - eg: the foot of the guitarist right next to the tablet isn't even lit up.

Anyway I'll probably continue to shoot there (in the bar area) -
although it looks as though I can manage with my compact (Canon G15)
but I'll miss that dark Whisper Room for my photography.

Thanks
09-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #88
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Last of the Summer glories:

09-30-2013, 08:50 AM   #89
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I seem to be using my compact (Canon G15) more and in places where I used to use my dSLR.

I am still very much a Pentax enthusiast - owning from the 6Mp K100D, thru K-x to my current K-5 (original),
but still only the two most humblest kit zooms 18-55 and 50-200.

However there are gigs where I may be able to shoot with my compact - but for better results and less risk I choose to use the K-5:

I was close enough that all my shots were on the 18-55.
10-02-2013, 10:53 AM   #90
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It's that time of year again under the eaves on my front porch -