Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-12-2013, 09:08 PM   #106
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by rawr Quote
In working with fonts and line art, anti-aliasing usually works to visibly reduce or disguise jaggies, or such stepped lines. I wonder how one could implement a similar solution here?
Thanks for the interesting discussion - at least in my editor when doing the straight line drawing - I thought I always had anti-aliasing selected - but it appears it cannot be applied for the "hairline" I used - only on the next step up in line thickness -

Another uncompressed PNG with the thinner hairline and the next step up thickness with anti-aliasing - it's pretty obvious which is which -
but just in case anyone is using a Braille monitor
the thicker anti-aliased line have arrow endings....

so yes the anti-aliasing does improve things (I did do my standard sharpening which probably aggravates things)

But I shall follow your input to see if I can improve jaggies.......
now that I know it isn't the JPG compression, but inherent in digital photos.

Thanks,

12-27-2013, 10:31 PM   #107
Veteran Member

Original Poster
It seems these days I am using my Canon G15 compact more and more even in venues where I would have shot my Pentax dSLR.

Although I have shot this larger venue with the Canon G15 before - I chose to do it with the K-5 - because of the occasion and the sheer number of acts.

Good lights - although lots of LED.......

All should have EXIF attached (or at least what PhotoBucket shows) -

01-02-2014, 04:54 PM   #108
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Happy 2014 everyone!

My NYE gig -

at home, next day....

same model - but 2 different finishes.
Rainbow titanium oxide, and
Gray chrome.
01-30-2014, 11:19 AM   #109
Veteran Member

Original Poster
One of my less and less frequent outings with the K-5.......

But here's the story -

I was sitting idly at home looking for any musical events and I scanned the local free rag's on-line listing when I came across
"National Arab Orchestra" a Free event at the Woodruff Center - there was a contact e-mail and phone # -
so at about 4pm on the day of the show I phoned that number and was only able to leave a message asking if I could come and take pictures -
I missed the returned call - but the message was enthusiastic saying I could come down and take as many pics as I'd like.

Great!

The venue was vaguely familiar - and even when I mapped it - I didn't think much more -

So I arrived just before the starting time - and saw a whole bunch of people in the lobby in full evening regalia and holding tickets -
and it still hadn't yet dawned on me....
so I asked the attendant where the National Arab Orchestra was playing
- he pointed at the closed glass doors where everyone was waiting to enter - and said -
"in the Symphony Hall".

Of course I am standing there in my jeans, sweat shirt, and sneakers -
so, as an explanation - I told the attendant about my communications with the contact -
and he pointed me to the Will Call.

I explained about the communique - and the person at Will Call said: "You should take this", and handed me a
Press Pass.

I walked to the closed glass doors where they were still not admitting anyone
and asked if I could speak to the person I communicated with - and I was ushered in -
then introduced to her - and she said I could take as many pictures, and from anywhere I wanted
not only that the press badge allowed backstage access.....

Before the event started, I spoke to the two ushers either side of the stage and explained I was there to take photos -
then went along the front row and did the same with members of the audience -
who were to the person really friendly and said it would not disturb them at all - now that's kind and gracious.

Then to top it all -
I find that this was the inaugural concert of the National Arab Orchestra!

So I have shots from Symphony Hall from really privileged audience positions.

front row stage right.

The program was mostly vocals to a rapt and enthusiastic crowd.

front row stage center (from surprisingly an unoccupied seat - considering it was close to a capacity crowd)

There was one long instrumental piece -
the violin solos were amazing almost "psychedelic"

2nd violinist - from front row center.

Arabic Harp -

The Oud -

Percussion (Iqa')

The Conductor/Director - who sang supporting,and played the Nay (Arabic flute)
as well as playing a solo on the Oud -

er-hum! even if I tried to make it up - I don't think I could come up with a better story!

Last edited by UnknownVT; 02-25-2014 at 11:19 AM.
12-10-2014, 01:21 PM   #110
Veteran Member

Original Poster
These days I have fewer outings with my K-5 -
normally in smaller venues I can use my Canon G15 compact with its f/1.8 lens, and max 140mm (35mm equiv) reach.

So it's only when I need longer reach that I'd use the K-5.

One such case was at a prestigious larger venue where I had considered taking just the G15 as we normally can shoot the first 3 songs at the front of the stage....
Luckily I did take my K-5 - as they restricted us to way back at the side of the soundboard.

Even with my 50-200 zoom the reach really wasn't enough -
it was fine for full stage shots:

50mm - EXIF attached

But anything else...a shot like this -

200mm (300mm equiv) handheld - EXIF attached

May seem as if the zoom range was adequate...
but it is a crop from this shot -

same shot full frame - 200mm - EXIF attached.

This shows that the K-5 made up for my focal length inadequacy,
the IQ seems good enough for posting one the web -
and in mitigation - I liked both versions well enough
that I got two shots for the price of one.....
12-12-2014, 09:41 AM   #111
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UnknownVT Quote
These days I have fewer outings with my K-5
About the same as me. Great results from this set.

However I think the lighting guy should be shot for flooding the performers with all that LED magenta.
12-12-2014, 11:12 AM   #112
Veteran Member

Original Poster
About the same as me. Great results from this set.

However I think the lighting guy should be shot for flooding the performers with all that LED magenta.
Thanks rawr.

These days I tend to use my Canon G15 compact for smaller venues (majority)

Despite the K-5's highISO literally blows the G15 away....
reasoning: the G15 at wide end has an aperture of f/1.8 -
vs the widest of my kit lenses of f/3.5
two stops advantage - which means when I shoot at ISO5000 on the K-5
for f/1.8 on the Canon G15 this is 1/3 stop under ISO1600.
(on the Canon G15 ISO1600 is just on the border of being acceptable)

The longest on the G15 is 140mm (equiv) which is just about adequate for small clubs - for diagonally across the stage -
and the max aperture is still f/2.8, faster than any of my Pentax lenses.

Oh, I have coveted/drooled over the Sigma 18-35 f/1.8 (constant aperture),
and if that very dark jazz venue was still going I probably would have one -
(and probably would be shooting a lot more with the K-5 anyway!)

But the Sigma is huge and cost about twice the Canon G15.....

In small clubs I have all the advantage of a small compact camera in the G15 vs the relatively bulky dSLR.

Back to the previous pics -
in mitigation the light person did spot the active performer with white incandescent light as in the severe crop I showed -
and the nemesis magenta was only washed over the rest of the stage.

I have this thing of finding unusual gigs at the last minute - on the day of the show.

This was just labelled as the Oud Hobbyist Association at a local university.

I called for permission to shoot - had to really research to find the correct person -
then they had to get permission from the artists -
so by the time permission was granted it was after 5pm -
this may seem insignificant -
BUT it was Friday and the venue was going out of town,
and the concert starts at 7pm.

Trials and tribulations aside -
these "Hobbyists" were not just a bunch of amateurs -
but were established by a high commission at the direction of His Majesty Sultan Qaboos (of Oman)...

all K-5 with EXIF attached.

I was also using the G15 for wide angle shots when the K-5 had the tele zoom attached.

Canon G15 shot EXIF attached.

Sharing the bill were the Al Najoom Dance Troupe

also on the Canon G15 EXIF attached

Although the G15 is adequate - the K-5 was just quicker in AF -

Both K-5, EXIF attached

12-12-2014, 08:54 PM   #113
Veteran Member

the Oud Hobbyist Association .. Sharing the bill were the Al Najoom Dance Troupe
Interesting and colourful performers. If they like your work, you might have a regular gig there.

They are the kind of performers that would be fun to see in a more intimate venue, like a nightclub or one of your regular haunts. The venue above looks as cold as a corporate conference room.
12-13-2014, 12:34 AM   #114
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Interesting and colourful performers. If they like your work, you might have a regular gig there.

They are the kind of performers that would be fun to see in a more intimate venue, like a nightclub or one of your regular haunts. The venue above looks as cold as a corporate conference room.
Ha-ha! since they are by appointment to the sultan of Oman -
maybe the gigs will be in his palace!

Be cool to be the sultan's band photographer.....
while I'm wishing -
may as well wish for $20million....

Strangely enough, I had an outing last night with the K-5 -
a Christmas concert in a church....

all except for the first two shots (which were stage center)
the shots were all ISO5000 (that's thousand).

If anyone's interested, I shot a video of their longest number -
not on the K-5 but a Panasonic GF5 (which I got specifically for video) with kit zoom at widest setting, 28mm equiv: -
Video on YouTube fullHD 1080p
(use gear icon bottom right of display to set 1080p - then go full screen)

and I have Audio too....

02 Gabriel's Message.mp3 - Download (11.24MB)

Tascam DR-05 24bit48kHz WAV original > 44.1k vbr3 +RG

now can I have that $20million?
12-13-2014, 03:57 AM   #115
Veteran Member

Very impressive church shots. Often such dark interiors. But of course you are an expert in low-light.

And wow, you really worked the room!
Multiple angles, photos, video, audio. It's like you were your own second shooter. And all the images, video, and audio processed and uploaded within 24 hours.

If the Sultan of Oman does hire you, he'll get a pro.
12-13-2014, 10:28 AM   #116
Veteran Member

Original Poster
And wow, you really worked the room!
Multiple angles, photos, video, audio. It's like you were your own second shooter. And all the images, video, and audio processed and uploaded within 24 hours.

If the Sultan of Oman does hire you, he'll get a pro.
So.. is $20million
too low to ask?

You can tell I really enjoy this hobby.... (er - obsession )

A few more from the same night -

That's a bass sax - almost as big as he is sitting down!

rawr: I noticed in your sig you now have a K-3 (I am jealously coveting) -
what improvements have you found over your K-5 please?
12-13-2014, 12:56 PM   #117
Veteran Member

I noticed in your sig you now have a K-3...what improvements have you found over your K-5 please?
Overall K-3 offers a bunch of performance improvements over the K-5 that I've found useful.

Last year I was really just looking for a K-5IIs as an upgrade/backup for my K-5, due to the attractive -3EV low-light AF of the K-5II, and the solution the K-5II offered to the tungsten AF problems I sometimes had with the K-5.

Instead I ended up getting a K-3 at a time when in my region the price difference between the K-3 and K-5IIs was only about $150, so I just went with the K-3.

The main K-3 improvements are: the very confident AF performance of the K-3 under all lighting conditions; the generally faster everything (display, playback, menus, screw drive lenses, fps etc); and the handy bit of extra resolution over the K-5. The exposure metering is also better and more 'intelligent'. I used to toggle a lot between metering modes with the K-5 in order to optimise light usage, but I do less of that with the K-3. AWB also seems more accurate, but not hugely so. The K-3 Liveview is very fast and much improved - now with focus peaking!, so I actually use liveview sometimes now. I like the dual SD card slots too.

There are a few less welcome changes. There are some awkward ergonomic differences between the bodies - eg the K-5 metering selector switch on the K-5 is absent on the K-3, and both the metering and the AF in the K-3 have new adjustment procedures which are fiddly. The K-3 is also a bit bulkier than the K-5, and you feel the extra weight. Another downside is that the K-3 spits out much larger files, especially if they are high-ISOs. The AF options are also complex and harder to master, especially AF-C.

In terms of IQ improvements, K-3 files have the same colour profile as K-5, and generally look similar to K-5 images unless you view them at 100%, where the K-3 will look noisier at higher ISO's. But shrink down to normal sizes for display or printing, K-3 images don't look much different from K-5 files. K-3 files also generally don't feel as malleable as K-5 files past ISO 3200 in post-processing, but it depends a lot on the lighting and the scene.
12-13-2014, 04:38 PM   #118
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Overall K-3 offers a bunch of performance improvements over the K-5 that I've found useful.

In terms of IQ improvements, K-3 files have the same colour profile as K-5, and generally look similar to K-5 images unless you view them at 100%, where the K-3 will look noisier at higher ISO's. But shrink down to normal sizes for display or printing, K-3 images don't look much different from K-5 files. K-3 files also generally don't feel as malleable as K-5 files past ISO 3200 in post-processing, but it depends a lot on the lighting and the scene.
Thank you rawr -
I read with admiration your very succinct description - you told me just about everything I wanted to know.

Interesting what you say about the HighISO performance above ISO3200 - this is an area that I obviously look at for improvements -
your findings reflects Imaging-Resource.com review of the K-3
QuoteQuote:
Stepping up to a 24MP sensor, the Pentax K-3 sets a much higher resolution benchmark than the K-5 II and IIs at 16MP, and the results show in the print quality department at ISOs 100-400, allowing a full print size higher at each setting. The results from ISO 800 and up however tell a different story, as there is virtually no discernible difference in print quality between the K-3 and its lower-resolution siblings. So if you are considering the K-3 and will be making sizable prints from the fruits of your labors, it will be at the lower ISOs that you will see the biggest difference in image quality as compared to the K-5 II and IIs.
I am still tempted - but it's hard to justify for the fewer outings with my dSLR.

Nevertheless prices have been dropping for the K-3 down to as low as US$770 for a USA model, and about US$685 for a grey import.

For ultimate image quality for stationary/inanimate objects it's currently hard to beat the Fuji X-tran series - the lowest priced model is the X-M1 (Note: the X-A1 is a misnomer as it uses a standard Bayer matrix sensor).
I bought one "accidentally" (ha-ha! I put a stupid low bid in on fleaBay for an used mint condition - and won!)

The IQ of the Fuji X-M1 is astonishing.

100% pixel level crop from the Fuji X-M1 (EXIF attached)

I still canNOT use a non-optical viewfinder for gig work - but as I said for still/stationary/inanimate - the rear LCD does not have the disadvantages I cannot live with for live shooting.

I also discovered LCD viewfinder/hoods that I've seen people shooting video using....

they're cheap at just over US$10 - and make a huge difference in shooting with the rear LCD screen.
(even though the viewfinder improves the view - still can't use any electronic based viewfinder - even the very best electronic eye-level viewfinder -
as there is a lag which is a very big disadvantage - best description is
like watching something on TV vs. live when compared to any optical viewfinder -
and that includes the $40 refurb. Canon A1400 that I just got.
12-13-2014, 11:30 PM   #119
Veteran Member

The K-5 to K-3 high-ISO file difference isn't terribly dramatic, but does require a slight adjustment to your sliders and workflow for noise, sharpening and everything else in tools like Lightroom. It's certainly a more noticeable change than from K-x to K-5.

Looks like you've been having some fun with gear. There seems to be a real glut of camera hardware out there at the moment, which is good for bargain shoppers (like me). Discounts and auction sales everywhere. Lets see what 2015 brings too

The X-M1 looks interesting. But since I already have a NEX and some lenses, I've never really explored the X-series.

I also discovered LCD viewfinder/hoods
I have v4 of the same item. But only used it once or twice on my NEX-F3, before I got a reconditioned Sony EVF at auction. Like most EVF's it's not ideal, as you know, but I found the viewfinder hoods, rear LCD blinds etc I used were awkward when walking about outdoors. Kept on getting knocked about in and out of the camera bag. But for video that hood is good.
12-14-2014, 10:58 AM   #120
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have v4 of the same item. But only used it once or twice on my NEX-F3, before I got a reconditioned Sony EVF at auction. Like most EVF's it's not ideal, as you know, but I found the viewfinder hoods, rear LCD blinds etc I used were awkward when walking about outdoors. Kept on getting knocked about in and out of the camera bag. But for video that hood is good.
I'd agree - but since I really don't like using any electronic viewfinder or LCD screen on live action -
the X-M1 with hood/finder spends its time at home for photographing objects -
it's now my choice over the K-5 -
I'm still not too sure whether it's the "viewfinder" or the IQ yet, that makes me choose the X-M1 -
but there it is.

On true optical viewfinders -
at one time almost all p&s/compacts had them -
now they are as hard to find as hens' teeth.....

The Canon G15(G16) still had it -
but the new Canon G7 X not.

In small clubs I do a lot of slow-sync flash shots -
at one time I used flash to compensate for the poor HighISO performance of p&s/compacts' tiny sensors -
but it developed into a "style" of sorts - where the flash freezes motion while the dragged/slow shutter speed allows trailing blur....

Sometimes those shutter speeds can be as slow as 1 sec - a simple optical viewfinder is essential for any follow-through.

The shots below are supposed to have EXIF attached - but they don't seem to have come through the hosting - I'll attach the relevant info.

Canon S80 -

Model: Canon PowerShot S80
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1/5 sec
Aperture: 2.8
Focal Length: 5.8mm
Flash Used: Yes

Model: Canon PowerShot S80
ISO: 50
Exposure: 1.0 sec
Focal Length: 5.8mm

and the lowly Canon A1200 (refurb at $40)

Model: Canon PowerShot A1200
ISO: 100
Exposure: 1.0 sec
Focal Length: 5mm

Last edited by UnknownVT; 12-14-2014 at 11:08 AM.