Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2013, 05:44 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

The company probably takes the DA L lenses off of K-30's or K-01's and sell them as "body only" and then put those lenses on the K-5 and sell the WR lenses on their own. That would make economic sense, right? I mean, they could make a couple bucks that way.
CiF and quickshift are both pretty great, a lens hood is pretty useful (and improves the IQ), and you have to use a WR lens on your WR camera for the whole thing to be.. WR. If the lens isn't WR, then you need to avoid bad weather. I think the WR is a big reason why people get the kit lens with a K-5. They use other lenses for higher quality shots, but the WR comes in handy when the weather is bad.

01-06-2013, 05:52 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Only the DA L and the WR are currently available, though.

$849 sounds a bit low for a WR kit, but if the ad said you'd be getting the WR lens, then you should try to secure what's yours!
If that's true then I'm pretty much stuck with the DAL lens. We'll see tomorrow what they say. Maybe I can talk them into exchanging it for the WR lens, but most likely I will have to pay a bit more.
Wow this has become quite the long wrong lens thread

Any model railroaders out there who bought DSLR's just to shoot their layouts?
01-06-2013, 07:20 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Driline Quote
I don't need the WR. If I was living in London like my brother, then yes, but here in Iowa, not so much. It looks cool though.
WR also make it slightly more resistant to dust as well.
And i find the quick-shift very useful, with that you can get a sort of auto-focus on demand when you set up the camera properly.
So the lens is manual focus during shooting but if you press the AF button on the back it will auto-focus, very need
01-06-2013, 10:58 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I don't know what quickshift or Cif is. All I know is it doesn't have that cool green stripe around the lens and I'm missing the hood. I've been using it taking pictures of my model train layout and so far have been quite impressed. It was a big jump from my Canon G7.
Nice job on detailing and weathering that switcher!
If you want a hood for the kit lens, here is a link. very low cost.
Ph RBA Lens Hood for Pentax Da 18 55mm DAL 18 55mm II | eBay

01-07-2013, 06:54 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gp1806 Quote
Nice job on detailing and weathering that switcher!
If you want a hood for the kit lens, here is a link. very low cost.
Ph RBA Lens Hood for Pentax Da 18 55mm DAL 18 55mm II | eBay
Thanks for the link. I'll probably buy it.
01-07-2013, 11:27 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just got off the phone with buydig. Apparently as Adam stated there are only 2 18-55mm lenses available so that is why I received the DAL version. I asked if I could exchange it for the Weather Proof lens but unfortunately they do not have that lens available at this time either on buydig, or beachcamera. They did offer to refund me $10 for my time and trouble.
So it looks like I will keep the DAL lens and be happy with that.
I'm looking forward to purchasing a prime lens later anyway. Contemplating the 15mm. Or cheaper 35mm. I want to be able to take good shots of the model railroad from about a foot away with a high f-stop to capture everything in focus in the background.
01-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I know it's not a big difference, but it sucks that they do that. I'm betting Pentax doesn't know they are doing that as I do not believe I have seen a DA-L lens offered with a K-5 or K-5II.

I also noticed they did update the website to clarify.

01-07-2013, 10:02 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I'm looking forward to purchasing a prime lens later anyway. Contemplating the 15mm. Or cheaper 35mm. I want to be able to take good shots of the model railroad from about a foot away with a high f-stop to capture everything in focus in the background.
If I were you, I wouldn't buy it, or anything else, from buydig. The only way you can get back at them is not to send them more money.