Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-09-2013, 08:04 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Looking forward to your image posts especially for landscape

The K-5 IIs + FA77 can show so much detail on hair for portraits, it's scaring me.
For most subjects that is not a good thing

01-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alizarine Quote
Looking forward to your image posts especially for landscape

The K-5 IIs + FA77 can show so much detail on hair for portraits, it's scaring me.
QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
For most subjects that is not a good thing
Too true! The ability to resolve hairs, grass and fine details like that is just ming boggling.

The K-5IIS + 31 Ltd are also viciousl sharp, as well as surprisingly the 60-250. I just got that recently, and I don't mean to be surprised about a Pentax lens, because they're all great. But there doesn't seem to be this sense of lore surrounding the 60-250 like you find with lenses like the 31 Ltd. But I would almost say the 60-250 I have is every bit as sharp as the 31 Ltd.

I would agree with Docrwm that too much detail can be a bad thing, especially for portraits of women. But the way I see it, you can always soften a photo, but you can't add more details. I'd rather have more than I want than less.
01-09-2013, 12:44 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd love to mount the FA100mm macro on one and go bug shootin'! the K-5 is darn good on its own, this must be even better.
01-09-2013, 01:51 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I'd love to mount the FA100mm macro on one and go bug shootin'! the K-5 is darn good on its own, this must be even better.
Yeah, that one does really well to. I think as awesome as the K-5IIs is, more than anything it has really highlighted for me how amazing Pentax glass is. Nothing I have mounted so far has had any trouble yielding the sharpest results I've ever seen from that particular lens. It's seems like they are just have resolution to spare, and welcome the coming of sharper and sharper sensors.

01-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FullertonImages Quote
Too true! The ability to resolve hairs, grass and fine details like that is just ming boggling.

The K-5IIS + 31 Ltd are also viciousl sharp, as well as surprisingly the 60-250. I just got that recently, and I don't mean to be surprised about a Pentax lens, because they're all great. But there doesn't seem to be this sense of lore surrounding the 60-250 like you find with lenses like the 31 Ltd. But I would almost say the 60-250 I have is every bit as sharp as the 31 Ltd.

I would agree with Docrwm that too much detail can be a bad thing, especially for portraits of women. But the way I see it, you can always soften a photo, but you can't add more details. I'd rather have more than I want than less.
I quite agree with you on the last point. I'd rather start with a razor sharp image, even a portrait of an aging person who is not happy about it, and then soften it then try to sharpen an image in post. The 60-250 has a reputation for being an outstanding lens optically, no doubt about it, and if they ever admit the SDM is a problem and publicly offer a solution I'll buy one - not until then though.
01-09-2013, 02:17 PM   #21
Forum Member

awesome

This was created from about 6 shots using the K-5 IIs and the DA 18-55.

Warner Theatre Stage View - Photosynth
01-09-2013, 02:31 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by martyd14 Quote

The 18-55 isn't the sharpest lens in the world, so I don't think the k-5IIs is going to drag maximum performance out of that lens. That said, I can see the patterns in the seats at full magnification. Do you have a single full-size shot of the original?

01-09-2013, 05:18 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by martyd14 Quote

Very nice. I agree that the DA18-55 isn't the sharpest lens but you really got a lot out of it with that pano.
01-10-2013, 02:45 PM   #24

QuoteOriginally posted by Docrwm Quote
Very nice. I agree that the DA18-55 isn't the sharpest lens but you really got a lot out of it with that pano.
That's what is nice from the K5-IIs...I've used the kit lens and the results are amazing. With my 60-250 and the Sigma 70-200 all I can say is WOW! It's hard to believe such level of detail and sharpness. I'm a aerial photographer so this level of detail is very much appreciated and needed in my pictures.
01-10-2013, 02:59 PM   #25
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The SR actually works now. It was hit or miss with the K5.
01-10-2013, 03:09 PM   #26
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by CRPhoto Quote
That's what is nice from the K5-IIs...I've used the kit lens and the results are amazing. With my 60-250 and the Sigma 70-200 all I can say is WOW! It's hard to believe such level of detail and sharpness. I'm a aerial photographer so this level of detail is very much appreciated and needed in my pictures.
I recall my orientation to aerial recon and the huge magnifying glasses, stereoscopic viewers, and the effort made by the guys in the clean room to keep the lenses and gear pristine. I can't imagine how they would react to an AA filter in front of a sensor