Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-08-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Got My New K-5...

about a week or so ago and still haven't had a chance to play with it. I've been swamped with school work and the weather here has been cold, rainy, and overcast/cloudy. I'm about to die of anticipation! One good thing is that my 40mm Limited is supposed to be here tomorrow - that is if my order is one of the few that Overstock is getting right.

I think that no matter what, I'm going to use the camera tomorrow, even if I don't do anything but take a few shots of the wood pile in the back yard before running back into the house.

01-08-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Take some photos with snow.
01-08-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
Don't forget the +/- adjustment if you do!
01-08-2013, 08:45 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by felixkh Quote
I live in South Carolina. We don't get much snow here and haven't gotten any, yet. We usually get a little between January and March, but where I live (foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns) we haven't even hit freezing yet. We've gotten close in overnight temps, but haven't quite made it. So, no snow... just COLD and gray. I'm contemplating some hot cocoa right now, LOL.

QuoteOriginally posted by Franky2step Quote
Don't forget the +/- adjustment if you do!
I will try to remember that for when we do get the white stuff.

01-08-2013, 08:53 PM   #5

K-5 is coldproof down to like 14, stop being a sissy =P

I lived in SC for a while, such a boring place it was. Rarely ever got snow and when the did half the state shut down.

My Mom is in Greenwood and my Brother is in Charleston so I still have to visit them from time to time.
01-08-2013, 09:15 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisTrevino Quote
K-5 is coldproof down to like 14, stop being a sissy =P

I lived in SC for a while, such a boring place it was. Rarely ever got snow and when the did half the state shut down.

My Mom is in Greenwood and my Brother is in Charleston so I still have to visit them from time to time.
Ha! Girls can get away with being wusses, so that's my argument and I'm sticking to it.

For real, though... I don't tolerate cold weather very well. Never have. Pain either, LOL. So yeah, I can turn into a huge baby in the right circumstances, hehe.

Greenwood is an hour away from me and the only way to get there from here is by surface roads. I have relatives there and they hate it and can't wait until they can move to where I live. South Carolina isn't bad if you like to do outdoor activities, including photography. You just have to get to where the interesting stuff is and that may require some effort, LOL.

I haven't spent any time in Charleston. That's all the way on the other side of the state from me. But, I'm planning an extended weekend trip when the weather warms up.
01-08-2013, 09:20 PM   #7

I hate cold weather, why I decided to move to Michigan is beyond me. Cold, Snow, Rain all the time, ugh!
01-08-2013, 10:02 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ChrisTrevino Quote
I hate cold weather, why I decided to move to Michigan is beyond me. Cold, Snow, Rain all the time, ugh!
I feel your pain. I lived in Detroit from ages 4-9 and I have family there. I've visited during the winter as an adult and it was everything I remembered it to be from when I was little. I don't miss it at all. Funny enough, though, that I ended up furthering my education in both central New York and central Ohio. I ran my hiney back down here when I was done, though, LOL.

01-09-2013, 11:52 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Happy new camera
01-09-2013, 12:23 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was out trying to take pictures of Jupiter with my old Vivitar 500mm lens. It was starting to get cold, I stopped when it dropped below 20F. I need to figure out how to focus that beast in the dark on stars - or something else at infinity. The K-5 won't give up in the cold, it's been a lot colder but I needed more clothes.
01-09-2013, 08:20 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Did you check your focus if it's accurate?
01-10-2013, 01:03 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kaiserz Quote
Still haven't taken any pics with it yet. Will remedy that this afternoon and report back.
01-10-2013, 02:56 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Finally Some First Pictures!

The temp reached the mid-60s and there was plenty of sunshine, so I hit the yard for some random first shots from the K-5. All shots were done with my 50-200mm kit lens (non-WR). Except for re-sizing for display on the forum, there was no color correction, cropping or anything else done. These are straight out of the camera.

01-10-2013, 03:03 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kaiserz Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by NiftyFifty Quote
Still haven't taken any pics with it yet. Will remedy that this afternoon and report back.
Everything seemed fine, kaiserz. Take a look at the test shots I added to this thread. I only shot with my 50-200mm kit lens, but I shot in both Av and Green mode. There were no problems. My next test shots are going to be with my fifties. I have an M 50 f/1.4 already, and an A 50 f/2.0 on the way from KEH (caught that one for $22 on their eBay store). So, I'll be adding to this thread in a few days probably. But, so far, I haven't had any problems with AF at all. It's been spot on.
01-10-2013, 07:19 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by NiftyFifty Quote
Everything seemed fine, kaiserz. Take a look at the test shots I added to this thread. I only shot with my 50-200mm kit lens, but I shot in both Av and Green mode. There were no problems. My next test shots are going to be with my fifties. I have an M 50 f/1.4 already, and an A 50 f/2.0 on the way from KEH (caught that one for $22 on their eBay store). So, I'll be adding to this thread in a few days probably. But, so far, I haven't had any problems with AF at all. It's been spot on.
That's awesome! have fun with the 50 (: