Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
01-10-2013, 04:18 PM   #1
Veteran Member

My new K5 so far

Had about a month to mess about with it.
I upgraded from the K20 because of the better ISO performance.
I have not been disappointed.

Took this with my slow cheap Sigma 70-300 zoom under very poor light. Just a quick handheld shot. Such a shot would have been impossible with the K20. No special PP. No NR. ETTR. I think the SR feature may work better than the old K20 also.

So far so good.

Last edited by wildman; 01-20-2013 at 04:30 AM.
01-10-2013, 05:09 PM   #2

Great shot with that lens!

I just upgraded to the K-5 from a K10d and I'm quite impressed. I was initially concerned with the smaller size, but I much prefer the ergonomics on the K-5. Need a grip to make it feel right though. keep reaching for the playback button on the side instead of on top...
01-10-2013, 05:41 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Great shot!
Quality is pretty impressive for ISO 12800 (even if it is a smaller size).

I'm loving my K-5. I am coming form a K-x and even though the K-x had pretty good high ISO, the K-5 is a big step up in so many other regards. Particularly like the brighter viewfinder and metering seems a significantly better.
01-10-2013, 06:00 PM   #4
Banned

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
Such a shot would have been impossible with the K20.
Yes, it is a big change, because it is the difference between a sensor that was average for its time (K20D) and one that is still state of the art (K-5). Just look at how much better the D90 (state of the art for 2008) was compared to the K20D. Sony sensors are just so much better than Samsung's - if Pentax got any benefit from their association with Samsung, I would like to know what that was.

01-10-2013, 09:14 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Saxplayer1004 Quote
I was initially concerned with the smaller size,
Yes. When I handle the K20 now it feels kind of fat and bloated. Reminds me of the FF Nikons I handled.

QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Particularly like the brighter viewfinder and metering seems a significantly better.
I think the AWB might be a bit more accurate also.

QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
Yes, it is a big change,
Can't help but wonder, given improvements in sensors, if FF will really be all the future rage we think they will be right now.
So far they are just too damn big for me. Compare my Nikon F2 to the FF digital Nikons and you would think they were MF cameras.
So far whatever advantages digital has given us it hasn't made cameras any more lighter or smaller.
01-10-2013, 09:29 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No NR.
Wow did you have the in-camera NR set high? I've taken some 12800 iso shots with my k5 but haven't seen them come out this clean that I can recall... (Haven't tried boosting the in-camera NR either)
01-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by todd Quote
did you have the in-camera NR set high?
No all that sort of stuff is shut off on my cameras. But I shoot in RAW anyway so I don't think it really matters.
Shooting to the right might be what is making the difference.

Here's one at ISO of 6400 with a bit more PP but the same glass.
Also a very low natural light shot from a north facing window like the first one but cropped a bit....

Last edited by wildman; 01-20-2013 at 04:30 AM.
01-10-2013, 10:30 PM   #8
Banned

Can't help but wonder, given improvements in sensors, if FF will really be all the future rage we think they will be right now.
I already feel that the differences between formats are insignificant except perhaps for some very special scenarios or requirements. There will be improvements in sensors, but I expect I will only notice them in dxomark scores and forum discussions from now on. However, FF will always attract people that already have a collection of 35mm lenses that they want to use as they did in the film days. I want to try a FF camera body just for that.
01-10-2013, 11:47 PM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Laurentiu Cristofor Quote
There will be improvements in sensors, but I expect I will only notice them in dxomark scores and forum discussions from now on.
Yep.
It wouldn't surprise me that in a short time a APS-C sensor will be giving performance comparable to what the Nikon D600 now gives. But it won't matter on the forums because
people are so hung up on relative rather than absolute differences in performance between the formats or lens' for that matter. For instance the optical performance of my modest FA 35 is so good that I don't care if I ever have another lens that is any "better". At some point enough is also good enough. Get on with the task of improving your pictures not your gear.
01-11-2013, 12:06 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Some fine results from from your K5 and the Sigma. I also have the 70-300 and have no complaints about the results I have got from that lens through the years. The high ISO capability of the K5 is amazing.
01-11-2013, 04:03 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Took this with my slow cheap Sigma 70-300 zoom under very poor light. Just a quick handheld shot.
Fascinating eyes!

Regards,
--Anders.
01-11-2013, 04:52 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by reeftool Quote
I also have the 70-300 and have no complaints about the results I have got from that lens through the years.
The K5 has breathed new life into it. It's slow and now it's practical to use indoors under available light at apertures where the glass is at least decent.
I have noticed that the zoom ring has been getting stiffer and less smooth as time goes on but so far I can live with it.
01-11-2013, 09:18 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You have me thinking I need to start using my tam70-300 more with my K-5. The primes have been hogging the camera since I got it in the summer.
01-11-2013, 05:19 PM   #14

Damn, I bought a K5 today can't wait for it too arrive
01-11-2013, 05:40 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by userage Quote
Damn, I bought a K5 today can't wait for it too arrive
Someone has said it here before..."The K5 is what the K7 should have been".
Enjoy your new toy.