Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-14-2013, 03:38 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-5iis hangs with in-camera HDR

I tried in-camera HDR while I was in Japan recently and the camera crashed twice. The progress bar stopped moving on "processing data" and the camera stopped responding. The only fix was to take out the battery. Has anyone else experienced instability while using HDR on the K-5 or K-5ii?

01-14-2013, 05:03 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Yes I did on K5IIs; I was obliged to remove battery to stop processing
01-14-2013, 05:20 AM   #3

Photos: Gallery
Funny thing it is hangs every second time. You will get just one HDR exposure, and the next one will hang. Remove battery and repeat...
01-14-2013, 05:52 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Kameraten Quote
Funny thing it is hangs every second time. You will get just one HDR exposure, and the next one will hang. Remove battery and repeat...
Actually it's a little more complicated I found out, but still "stable"

The problem arises when you use the option to save the HDR image as RAW, which you can do when you review your latest shot (press AEL) . After that you cannot take another HDR shot until you have switched the camera off and on again. You CAN take other shots without switching the camera off, just not HDR.

Some kind of

01-14-2013, 07:30 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goubejp Quote
Yes I did on K5IIs; I was obliged to remove battery to stop processing
Glad it's not just me, but it suggests a firmware bug.

Actually it's a little more complicated I found out, but still "stable"
The problem arises when you use the option to save the HDR image as RAW, which you can do when you review your latest shot (press AEL) . After that you cannot take another HDR shot until you have switched the camera off and on again. You CAN take other shots without switching the camera off, just not HDR.
OK, since HDR mode is only possible by setting the camera to jpg output, I would never have thought to try saving the HDR image as raw. I presume there's a reason why the camera needs to be in jpg only output for HDR. I didn't do anything like that. I just put the camera in jpg mode, enabled HDR and took a photo, then the camera stopped responding while processing the image. Kameraten - were you also using a K5iis?
01-15-2013, 01:18 AM   #6
Pentaxian

The problem arises when you use the option to save the HDR image as RAW, which you can do when you review your latest shot (press AEL).
But that RAW image is the last one in the buffer, not the HDR image. Or is it?
01-15-2013, 09:47 AM   #7
dbh
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by Gimbal Quote
But that RAW image is the last one in the buffer, not the HDR image. Or is it?
On p.74 of the K-5 II manual there is a table of what gets saved when the file format is JPG and the last recorded image is saved using the AE-L button during review.
For HDR Capture it is the RAW image with standard exposure.

I hope Pentax includes a number of fixes in the next f/w update:
HDR freeze-up issue
inability to save GPS locations when using an SDXC card
inability to save the focal length to the EXIF when less than 10mm (even though for a manual lens you can specify FL down to 8mm for the purposes of the SR system)

I waited in vain for them to to produce a f/w update for the K20D that would allow the long exposure noise reduction (dark frame subtraction) to be allowed to be switched off.
Never happened. So I used the K10D for all my attempts at fireworks and lightning captures. But I digress...

Back on topic: I just confirmed the bug reported by the op. On the second attempt at an HDR photo my K-5 iis hung at the Data being processed screen. Required a battery removal.
Seems to be OK if you power off after every HDR capture.
01-15-2013, 06:31 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dbh Quote
On p.74 of the K-5 II manual there is a table of what gets saved when the file format is JPG and the last recorded image is saved using the AE-L button during review.
For HDR Capture it is the RAW image with standard exposure.
If I'm reading this correctly, it's one of the three images (at standard exposure not under or over), rather than merged HDR result?

QuoteQuote:
Back on topic: I just confirmed the bug reported by the op. On the second attempt at an HDR photo my K-5 iis hung at the Data being processed screen. Required a battery removal.
Seems to be OK if you power off after every HDR capture.
Thanks! Sounds like I'll have to avoid HDR until there's a firmware update. :P
Or do HDR in PP.

01-15-2013, 09:16 PM   #9
dbh
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
If I'm reading this correctly, it's one of the three images (at standard exposure not under or over), rather than merged HDR result?
Exactly.

Thanks! Sounds like I'll have to avoid HDR until there's a firmware update. :P
Or do HDR in PP.
You can use it, just be prepared to do the switch off afterwards routine, I guess. Frankly, you'll do better and have more control just doing a bracket in the camera and making the HDR in pp anyway. I was a bit underwhelmed by the in-camera results and the loss of all the raw files.

Definitely a confirmed bug!
01-16-2013, 07:58 PM   #10
Forum Member

Appears to be fixed in the new firmware. I was able to take two hdr shots in a row.
01-16-2013, 08:00 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Jimbob Productions Quote
Appears to be fixed in the new firmware. I was able to take two hdr shots in a row.
That was quick! Thanks for updating and trying it!
01-17-2013, 03:02 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
OK, I've installed the update and the HDR bug seems to be gone. Wow - I should have asked about it when I was in japan, maybe they would have released it sooner!
01-17-2013, 08:10 AM   #13
dbh
Inactive Account

I just updated mine. Looks good.
From Pentax:
"- Enabled contrast adjustment on Monitor.
(Added [contrast ]on [LCD setting ]menu)
- Improved stability for general performance."

Not a lot of detail there! Would be nice to see the complete list of changes/fixes.
01-17-2013, 01:31 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by dbh Quote
I just updated mine. Looks good.
From Pentax:
"- Enabled contrast adjustment on Monitor.
(Added [contrast ]on [LCD setting ]menu)
- Improved stability for general performance."

Not a lot of detail there! Would be nice to see the complete list of changes/fixes.
That would expose the number of bugs. I'm just happy that this issue is fixed. An extra feature is a bonus.
01-17-2013, 11:38 PM   #15

Kameraten - were you also using a K5iis?
Yes.
The problem arose when trying to save the RAW image. Repeated HDR images has been working all along.