Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2013, 09:59 PM   #16
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BPT Quote
In the reviews I have been reading I am seeing it say that the K5II AF works to -3EV but I am unsure what what that means in real world lighting. For example under a thick forest canopy on a sunny day where would that fall on the EV scale?

I am almost positive I am going for the K5 over the K5II mainly I am trying to figure out if the improved AF is worth it.
A couple days ago I received my K5 from Adorama. I also have a K20D and this is my step up. I have been shooting the K20D for the last four years and have almost 60,000 pics on it. The auto focus of the K5 is quicker (noticeably) and more accurate in light lower than the K20D could shoot. I am speaking of night time in your house with a 60w bulb burning. The green light helps, going to LV contrast detect AF really makes sure you get a razor sharp pic. But all in all, K5 against K20D in low light, K5 wins in speed, ability to go lower, and more accurate. Yea I guess there is a point where low light may cause problems. But I don't shoot in that low of light and will use the flash and have had no problems.

Last night I used the Nikon BF/FF chart (my last choice way of checking) on a 8.5"X11" paper. I hand held my camera on a 45 degree square. I tested a few of my lens and they were spot on. I don't need to use auto-focus fine tuning so far it seems. And the test last night was in artificial light. The few shots I got when I came home from work as the sun was going down outside, were spot on wide open (kit lens DA18-55mm WR). But I tested my Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5 macro, Sigma 10-20mm f/4-5.6, Pentax DA55-300mm f/4-5,8 lens no problems with OOF issues or less than tack sharp issues in the house. I also tried my fully manual 50mm which should not have a problem on any camera.

Really nice camera! (knock on wood, I can't find any issues). I bought it from Adorama. Its manufacturing date was just a couple months ago. It had 0 or close to 0 shots on it. I took some pics deleted them, then checked the shutter count in Photome and ExifTool to find the camera only had 9 shutter actuations. Never had one with that low of a shutter count (must have been zero or near zero). Or made so recently.

Just get the K5, don't look back. You will be happy.

01-31-2013, 04:39 PM   #17
BPT
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
I know everyone has been waiting with baited breath, sitting on the edge of their seats. After some thought I put my K20D on ebay rather then keeping it as I originally planned. This gave me a few hundred more spending money which in turn made me say what the heck and I now have a K5 IIs inbound.

I was shocked that my K20D maintained nearly 50% of its original purchase price after 4 years. I will miss my K20D it was a good friend