Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-16-2013, 01:07 AM   #1
Pentaxian

A simple question about Ev display

1. Any way I can get the Ev to always display both on the top display and in the viewfinder?
2. Any way I can program one of the e-dials to directly set Ev value without having to also press Ev button first?

Thanks...

Last edited by wildman; 01-16-2013 at 02:06 AM.
01-16-2013, 01:34 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
1. Yes, it's in the horrendously easy to get lost in "Custom" menu section.
2. Not that I know of.
01-16-2013, 01:44 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Dunno about a K20D, but on a K-5 -

1, Set the mode dial to 'M' EV display is both on top display as a +/- figure, and also as a graph on rear screen
2, many, many options, in most of the modes. The K-5 is one of the most customisable camera's ever made.

(I'm adding to your reasons to upgrade to a K-5 - you can thank me later... )

Edit : Belay that. For some reason I had it in my mind you were looking for reasons to upgrade... now returning to normal transmissions...

Last edited by wizofoz; 01-16-2013 at 01:59 AM. Reason: tripe
01-16-2013, 01:46 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
2. Anyway I can program one of the e-dials to directly set Ev value without having to also press Ev button first?
Yes. You can configure what the e-dials do in the 5th tab of the record menu, under "e-dial customization".

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

01-16-2013, 03:23 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yes. You can configure what the e-dials do in the 5th tab of the record menu, under "e-dial customization".
This seems to be the best answer.
I always shot in Av mode.
I can program the edials to give me Av in the front and direct Ev change on the back one. This also allows the Ev to always be on display.
The only downside is that I have exchanged direct ISO change on the rear dial for direct change of Ev.
I will give it a try this way perhaps I can live with it set up this way.

Thanks.
01-16-2013, 03:31 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
The K-5 is one of the most customizable camera's ever made.
That's the problem for me.
I'm very old school and miss the ground glass and direct settings of my Rollei from the 1950s where controls meant one thing and one thing only and were always consistent.
If you make something to be all things to all people it ends up not being optimal for anyone.
01-16-2013, 01:18 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by wildman Quote
That's the problem for me.
I'm very old school and miss the ground glass and direct settings of my Rollei from the 1950s where controls meant one thing and one thing only and were always consistent.
If you make something to be all things to all people it ends up not being optimal for anyone.
I respectfully beg to differ. I think making things very customisable is the very essence of Pentax and being 'different'. If it were not so customisable, you would not be able to get things set up in 'your way' and me in mine. One size does not fit all.

Anyway, glad you have found an answer to your question.

Happy shooting.
01-16-2013, 03:45 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wizofoz Quote
One size does not fit all.
Precisely -
- and the the corollary is that one size may fit some perfectly.

01-16-2013, 05:45 PM   #9
Veteran Member

In almost all modes I have assigned the front e-dial to ISO and the rear one for the Aperture or Shutter Speed. I find I am changing ISO more often than Ev. All other buttons are at their default setting. I shoot JPEGs only, so the RAW / Fx button is used to switch to RAW + JPEG in tough photo situations requiring PP later.