Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-16-2013, 10:24 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Does A Quality Filter...

assist or hamper the KIIs?

01-16-2013, 10:37 PM - 1 Like   #2
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
Depends on the filter, all filters will degrade the image quality in a measurable way, but filters like CPLs and ND filters are needed to obtain a certain effect, so they help the overall image. It is just a matter of determining if the benefit outweighs the drawbacks.
01-16-2013, 10:38 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
elliot is correct.
01-17-2013, 12:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What are you trying to achieve or adjust for?

I personally use only the filters Elliott mentioned when I want the corresponding effect. The rest of the time I don't use one, except occasionally when there's a high risk of water splashing or significant dust blowing on the front element. Instead I keep the hood mounted to protect from bumps.

Since a filter slightly degrades IQ, and I've had a filter break and scratch up my front element before, using a filter looks like a lose-lose proposition to me.

I believe I heard someone state that you could effectively turn the IIs into an IR camera simply by adding a filter, but I don't know how accurate this is. Other than that I don't know of any ways the IIs is different from other cameras regarding the use of filters.

Last edited by DSims; 01-17-2013 at 12:16 AM.
01-17-2013, 01:32 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
I have been using quality CP filter on several lenses. The CP filter also greatly reduces moire in the few instances that it's shown up. Will add examples later.
cheers
bb2
01-17-2013, 03:45 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Generally they do help in creating an interesting image - but it comes at a price, usually in the form of filter flare or in more extreme cases a cheap filter can degrade the image quality of the lens.

QuoteOriginally posted by beachboy2 Quote
I have been using quality CP filter on several lenses. The CP filter also greatly reduces moire in the few instances that it's shown up.
If a filter is reducing moire then it is severely reducing contrast at the nyquist frequency. I work with Polarisers from Lee, Schneider and Hoya, and I have never come across a polariser that has any effect on moire.