Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
01-17-2013, 09:19 PM   #1

auto focus point selection

Kinda new here. Recently I switched from Canon I'm really having a hard time with the auto focus point selection on the K5. Canon used the rear wheel and along with a selection button. Press button and spin the rear wheel, point changes. Does anyone else struggle with the 4 buttons to change points? Is there any hope to change this? I'd really like to know if this will ever feel normal.

Charlie

01-17-2013, 10:44 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Hi versacopter,

I think there is virtually no chance that this will change in present models. With 11 focus points, you are at most 3 button pushes away from any of the points since the OK button resets the point to center when in select point mode.

If Pentax were to go to more focus points, then a system using the e-dial might be more efficient, but I'm guessing that they don't see any changes for the present system as any kind of a priority.

Scott
01-17-2013, 11:59 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Personally, having used Canon, Nikon and Pentax focus selection, I'm going to say it: Canon messed it up hard. The rear glorified e-dial makes so many things awkward.(Like Aperture control)

Just keep using it the way it is, you'll feel natural with it after a while.
01-19-2013, 01:18 PM   #4

Original Poster
I really don't miss the extra focus points. My thumb is just a little clumsy finding the buttons quickly while the camera is pressed to my eye. There just isn't much room there and distance to them changes when using the battery grip. So far If this is my worst complaint I'd say the K5 is a winner.

01-19-2013, 10:54 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I've set my K-5 and K-5 II.s to the centre focus point only and left it at that as I find that so much easier and get good sharp images without the other focus points.
01-19-2013, 11:25 PM   #6

Original Poster
I guess I'm kinda doing the same, just out of convenience. So far been using select mode focus point center, move to subject focus lock, then recompose the shot. Sounds like this may be the way to do it. I have no regrets yet switching to Pentax This is a great little camera built like a brick and good glass seems abundant.